Upcoming Olympus 100-400 price and size?

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Going too far down the penny-pinching path could end up being penny-wise and pound-foolish.
Just mentioning alternatives for anyone interested, not to try to claim that the Sigma is a better route (given the loss in Sync IS and the additional special elements which likely contribute significantly given the pixel density differences.)

None of them do. There is also no viable CAF with adapted lenses.
C-AF works but it needs to be "pumped" rather than held down.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Just mentioning alternatives for anyone interested, not to try to claim that the Sigma is a better route (given the loss in Sync IS and the additional special elements which likely contribute significantly given the pixel density differences.)

If you have to 'pump' C-AF then I think you should be using S-AF then.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am surprised that anyone would consider getting the Sigma plus a third party adapter for use with either an Olympus or Panasonic camera. At that sort of zoom range and long focusing distance a lot of critical issues come into play.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It works fine with my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 and Canon 70-300II NanoUSM on older firmware for Metabones or in the Four Thirds mode. Every few seconds I have to let go and depress again when it came to the older firmware on the Metabones adapters. The latest firmware emulates an actual Micro Four Thirds lens rather than a Four Thirds lens and as long as the lens AF motor can keep up (like the NanoUSM) then C-AF works fine. It seems to hold as well as native lenses so long as the motor can keep up. If it loses focus and throws it to infinity or MFD, I just let go and refocus again. Usually this can last for some time so long as the lens AF doesn't freak out. Other adapters like the Viltrox I don't have much experience with.

I'm actually impressed by the PDAF enablement and Metabones firmware update to the point that I was able to use my Tokina 14-20mm f/2.0 in C-AF for video work. Granted, the motor obviously made significant amounts of noise since it isn't a silent focusing lens but I'd use it over the RP I played around with at one point.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am surprised that anyone would consider getting the Sigma plus a third party adapter for use with either an Olympus or Panasonic camera. At that sort of zoom range and long focusing distance a lot of critical issues come into play.
Works fine for me... See attached images below.

I'm honestly interested in the Olympus Secret Sigma 100-400 because it is the lens in reach for mere mortals. Just likely not at release prices because I want a way to reach past 400mm without the lens being too heavy and for it to have good optical resolution. Something my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 (old film SLR era lens) doesn't hold up to in either the weight+volume department nor in the optical resolution department at around 600mm.

Attachments

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought the Sigma 135-400mm in the hope that the price difference against the PL100-400mm would make it all worthwhile. The results were shockingly bad. Focusing speed was sloooow. The front part of the lens would extend when I had the lens pointing downwards. The lack of IS meant using higher shutter speed. And those are the issues I remember. I have considered selling it many times, but the fear of the buyer then wanting a refund has scared me off.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend

It works fine with my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 and Canon 70-300II NanoUSM on older firmware for Metabones or in the Four Thirds mode. Every few seconds I have to let go and depress again when it came to the older firmware on the Metabones adapters. The latest firmware emulates an actual Micro Four Thirds lens rather than a Four Thirds lens and as long as the lens AF motor can keep up (like the NanoUSM) then C-AF works fine. It seems to hold as well as native lenses so long as the motor can keep up. If it loses focus and throws it to infinity or MFD, I just let go and refocus again. Usually this can last for some time so long as the lens AF doesn't freak out. Other adapters like the Viltrox I don't have much experience with.

I'm actually impressed by the PDAF enablement and Metabones firmware update to the point that I was able to use my Tokina 14-20mm f/2.0 in C-AF for video work. Granted, the motor obviously made significant amounts of noise since it isn't a silent focusing lens but I'd use it over the RP I played around with at one point.
Works fine for me... See attached images below.

I'm honestly interested in the Olympus Secret Sigma 100-400 because it is the lens in reach for mere mortals. Just likely not at release prices because I want a way to reach past 400mm without the lens being too heavy and for it to have good optical resolution. Something my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 (old film SLR era lens) doesn't hold up to in either the weight+volume department nor in the optical resolution department at around 600mm.
I would not call that being a viable CAF ability.

Also, posting photos of a slow moving bird moving parallel to the camera does nothing to show a viable CAF ability, you can easily photograph Pelicans with SAF.

I think it so funny that people keep saying this is a Sigma lens because it looks somewhat like the new Sigma 100-400. Stealing from @SpecFoto's post I will list a few things that are completely different between the two.

- 4 additional HR elements
- Zero coating
- Extensive sealing
- Focus clutch

Those alone are enough to differentiate that they are completely different lenses. There is zero indications that it is a Sigma lens.

Real Name
Jeff
I bought the Sigma 135-400mm in the hope that the price difference against the PL100-400mm would make it all worthwhile. The results were shockingly bad. Focusing speed was sloooow. The front part of the lens would extend when I had the lens pointing downwards. The lack of IS meant using higher shutter speed. And those are the issues I remember. I have considered selling it many times, but the fear of the buyer then wanting a refund has scared me off.
In the original 4/3 mount (presumably taken from existing other mount) the Sigma 135-400 was a dog. COnstantly panned by the people that bought them.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
In the original 4/3 mount (presumably taken from existing other mount) the Sigma 135-400 was a dog. COnstantly panned by the people that bought them.
I have the Sigma 50-500 in 4/3's mount and it is my worse 4/3 lens for CAF. All of my Olympus 4/3 lenses I can shoot moving subjects with and have used both the 150/2 and 50-200 for sports and airshows. The Bigma is a complete no go for anything moving, but I have yet to try it on the EM1X.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would not call that being a viable CAF ability.

Also, posting photos of a slow moving bird moving parallel to the camera does nothing to show a viable CAF ability, you can easily photograph Pelicans with SAF.
It works, just not comparatively well as native lenses in my experience. The latest firmware on the Metabones adapters interacts fairly well with lenses that have fast AF motors. I don't suppose you've actually owned them before?

I just picked out two photos where I know that I had held focus down for a few seconds from memory and it held focus over 10 seconds.

I think it so funny that people keep saying this is a Sigma lens because it looks somewhat like the new Sigma 100-400. Stealing from @SpecFoto's post I will list a few things that are completely different between the two.
Sigma owns the patents on several Olympus and Panasonic lenses, this one looks like a customized/modified 100-400 from the optical design. I don't quite care if they're the lens builder or if Olympus is since ultimately this seems to be a pretty good lens. I've already mentioned the same information about optical design previously and not just once. The Sigma 100-400's optical design is a pretty good one since it beats the Canon 100-400II already.

You can look at the optical formula yourself for a comparison, it is pretty hard to deny the differences. Can't say I'd recommend for most users to adapt, I'm just mentioning it for anyone who wanted to take a try or for anyone who doesn't have over $1000+ on hand to purchase one at release prices.
Sigma 100-400.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

100-400-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Its a Olympus lens which might be designed by Sigma but how cares? Sigma designs lenses, great lenses.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
It works, just not comparatively well as native lenses in my experience. The latest firmware on the Metabones adapters interacts fairly well with lenses that have fast AF motors.......
Can't say I'd recommend for most users to adapt, I'm just mentioning it for anyone who wanted to take a try or for anyone who doesn't have over $1000+ on hand to purchase one at release prices.
With the Metabones adapter at $399 and the Sigma Canon version of the lens at $749, the total is well over $1,000, $1,148 to be exact or $351 difference. And according to the adapter listing at Amazon, this version does not support Olympus CAF! "Limitations No autofocus support for JVC and Olympus AFC (continuous AF) and AFF (flexible AF) modes are not supported". Do you have to buy the $649 Metabones version to get CAF support? If so, now the difference is only $51.

With the Olympus lens you get a lot of important items included. Besides the 4 above that @Phocal mentioned you get a tripod foot and collar, undoubtedly better AF with full CAF, most likely Dual IS between the lens and Olympus camera body, and factory approved use of teleconverters. Heck with my G9 I can't get the Olympus MC-14 teleconverter to work with my 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens. By itself the 40-150 and G9 are fine but add the MC-14 and the the hit rate goes to under 10%. Yet this combo worked perfectly for years with my EM1 and now with my EM1.3 and for this reason I no longer want to mix brands with M4/3. For what I want this lens for, mostly action events like airshows, BIF, boating and surfers the extra $350 cost, and peace of mind, is well worth it.

Last edited:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
With the Metabones adapter at $399 and the Sigma Canon version of the lens at $749, the total is well over $1,000, $1,148 to be exact or $351 difference. And according to the adapter listing at Amazon, this version does not support Olympus CAF! "Limitations No autofocus support for JVC and Olympus AFC (continuous AF) and AFF (flexible AF) modes are not supported". Do you have to buy the $649 Metabones version to get CAF support? If so, now the difference is only $51.
I own the Speedboosters and AFAIK the hardware for the plain tube is the same for them. Regardless my posts are for anyone who already owns an adapter and is willing to have "less than perfect" compat or otherwise rely on lens IS. If you don't intend on buying retail, people are selling the Sigma 100-400 second hand for less than $700 for a lens to try out to see if it works.

Why there's a need to trample over just a mere mention of a focal length alternative is beyond me. I like the optical performance of my Canon 70-300II NanoUSM back when the PanLeica 50-200 f/2.8-4 wasn't available. If I had more money to throw around over one hobby I'd likely would have considered the PL50-200 but unfortunately I don't.

Heck with my G9 I can't get the Olympus MC-14 teleconverter to work with my 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens. By itself the 40-150 and G9 are fine but add the MC-14 and the the hit rate goes to under 10%.
That's because the G9 works with Panasonic's very advanced CDAF and it has heavy optimization with Panasonic lenses. I've haven't had hit rate problems with my Panasonic 45-175mm on my E-M1II but that's my experience with the PDAF on the E-M1II.

Real Name
Jeff
I have the Sigma 50-500 in 4/3's mount and it is my worse 4/3 lens for CAF. All of my Olympus 4/3 lenses I can shoot moving subjects with and have used both the 150/2 and 50-200 for sports and airshows. The Bigma is a complete no go for anything moving, but I have yet to try it on the EM1X.
I have it as well, and had it (a different copy) with my Oly E3. The bigmas were very hit or miss. I think the copy I had then was better. They're slow as hell no matter what you have them on though :D

pcr1040

Mu-43 Veteran
I have some questions after reading this part of the M43 Forum. Is it a FACT that the new announced Olympus 100-400mm lens is a modified Sigma Lens or is this speculation? I currently use a G9 with the Panasonic 100-400 lens and I am NOT satisfied with the performance of the lens at 400mm. It excellent at shorter focal length, but IMHO, at 400mm, the resolution is just not there. So what are the informed expectations for the new Olympus 100-400mm lens ar maximum extension (400mm)?
Finally, is there any good guesses as to when the Olympus 100-400 lens will be available and what are the guesstimated pricing for this lens in USD?

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I have some questions after reading this part of the M43 Forum. Is it a FACT that the new announced Olympus 100-400mm lens is a modified Sigma Lens or is this speculation? I currently use a G9 with the Panasonic 100-400 lens and I am NOT satisfied with the performance of the lens at 400mm. It excellent at shorter focal length, but IMHO, at 400mm, the resolution is just not there. So what are the informed expectations for the new Olympus 100-400mm lens ar maximum extension (400mm)?
Finally, is there any good guesses as to when the Olympus 100-400 lens will be available and what are the guesstimated pricing for this lens in USD?
It is pure speculation about it being a modified sigma lens.

pcr1040

Mu-43 Veteran
It is pure speculation about it being a modified sigma lens.
Thanks, That is a relief. Not that Sigma is bad, but I think Olympus has done great lens design over the years since it produced film cameras.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom