Upcoming Olympus 100-400 price and size?

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It has the same specs as the Sigma one, but thankfully not the same lens (externally).
It doesn't look like it is fully related related to the Sigma 100-400 (something speculated on in the comments over there) but they look close, specs below are the Olympus:
Minimum focusing distance: 1.3m
Filter size: 72mm
Dimensions: 86.4mm x 205.7mm
Weight: 1120g (without tripod adapter)
four ED lenses for suppressing color bleeding, two Super HR lenses, and two HR lenses
And the Sigma 100-400 mirrorless that recently came out:
MFD: 112(W) - 160(T)cm
Filter size: φ67 mm
Maximum diameter x length: E-mount φ86.0mm × 199.2mm
Weight (E-mount): 1,140g (including PROTECTIVE COVER PT-31)
The Sigma has 5 special elements (1FLD/4SLD) so the optical formula is definitely not the same.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
FYI, the Olympus is heavier and more expensive than the Panny.
Heavier, yes. Cost comparison depends on whether you're comparing retail prices vs street price. You can get the PL cheaper used or street price, but the Oly will only be available at retail initially. We'll see how it goes after it's been on the market for a while. Just glad to see it finally poke its head out. :)

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I did a comparison of size specs between the Oly 100-400 and PL 100-400.
Olympus 100-400: 3.4" dia, 8.1" long, 2.47 lb w/o tripod foot, 72mm filter
PL 100-400: 3.27" dia, 6.75" long, 2.17 lb w/o tripod foot, 72mm filter

Other lenses.
Olympus 300 f4 Pro: 3.6” dia, 8.9” long, 2.8 lb w/o foot, 77 mm filter
Olympus 40-150 Pro: 3.13" dia, 6.3" long, 1.67 lb w/o foot, 72 mm filter
Olympus ZD 50-200 SWD: 3.41" dia, 6.18" long, 2.19 lb w/o foot, 67 mm filter

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Could be one of those "Convertible" Sigma lenses where Sigma can change the mount to another brand for a small fee. Might making owning it less worrisome should Olympus tap dance off into the sunset and the owner could switch brands.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/service/mcs/

Fwiw, just saw the new Sigma FF (Canon, Nikon, Sony) 60-600mm f/5-6.3 10x zoom on their website for $1,759 on sale. Surprised it's that cheap. Sigma may become a lens foundry for others like Sony is with sensors.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/multi-purpose-lenses/60-600mm-f45-63-dg-os-hsm-s

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Fwiw, just saw the new Sigma FF (Canon, Nikon, Sony) 60-600mm f/5-6.3 10x zoom on their website for $1,759 on sale. Surprised it's that cheap. Sigma may become a lens foundry for others like Sony is with sensors.
That's my fallback lens of choice if the 150-400mm f/4.5 for mere mortals like us. With a .71x focal reducer it becomes a 42-426mm f/3.5-4.4 lens. Lenstip says it is an excellent optical performer.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
The lens looks to be pretty close to a pro lens in quality and features. It has lens IS (certainly dual IS compatible), Focus limiter switch, AF clutch, weathersealing, a removable Arca-Swiss foot, and can accept teleconverters (not that I would want to). Price and optical quality are still unknown, but I’m guessing around $1700, with similar sharpness to the P-L 100-400. It’s a little bit larger and heavier, but with the same filter thread size.

For those with an Olympus body, I think it looks pretty good.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Oh ho, it will be compatible with the MC-14 and MC-20! Check out the ninth slide on that page.
https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-...-the-new-olympus-100-400mm-f-5-0-6-3-is-lens/

1595961399564.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oops, this was posted earlier in another thread by @Reflector.
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-100-400mm-f-5-0-6-3-is-lens.103699/page-8#post-1401057

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
The lens looks to be pretty close to a pro lens in quality and features. It has lens IS (certainly dual IS compatible), Focus limiter switch, AF clutch, weathersealing, a removable Arca-Swiss foot, and can accept teleconverters (not that I would want to). Price and optical quality are still unknown, but I’m guessing around $1700, with similar sharpness to the P-L 100-400. It’s a little bit larger and heavier, but with the same filter thread size.

For those with an Olympus body, I think it looks pretty good.
An earlier report placed it at $1,499, which would be lower than the retail for the PL 100-400. On the 43rumors set of slides, it said 180,000 yen, which is a bit more than $1,700. Not sure what US price will be yet. I hope closer to $1,499 than 1,700. :)

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
An earlier report placed it at $1,499, which would be lower than the retail for the PL 100-400. On the 43rumors set of slides, it said 180,000 yen, which is a bit more than $1,700. Not sure what US price will be yet. I hope closer to $1,499 than 1,700. :)
If you want to be minus Sync IS, likely CDAF optimized AF motor and whatever improvements and customizations made to it the base lens' design optically seems to be a modified Sigma 100-400. They're retailing for $800 right now...

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
If you want to be minus Sync IS, likely CDAF optimized AF motor and whatever improvements and customizations made to it the base lens' design optically seems to be a modified Sigma 100-400. They're retailing for $800 right now...
The Sigma probably won't be compatible with the MC teleconverters too. I'm willing to pay more to get more. Only I know how far I'm willing to go. :)

Last edited:

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
The Sigma probably won't be compatible with the MC teleconverters too. I'm willing to pay more to get more. Only I know how far I'm willing to go. :)
While the optical design seems to be very close to the Sigma, there are important improvements that Olympus has made that give it added value:

~ 4 additional HR elements, to improve sharpness across the frame, for total of 8 special elements vs. 4 with the Sigma.
~ Zero coating on the lens to help with ghosting and flare, which was an issue for the Sigma.
~ Extensive sealing on the entire lens like the Olympus Pro lenses. Will this allow Olympus to give it a weather sealing rating? Even if not, I trust Olympus weather sealing way more than Sigma.
~ Focus clutch on the Olympus, but not on the Sigma.
~ Tripod foot and collar, both of which may be removable, vs. no collar or foot for the Sigma.
~ 72mm filter size, same as my 40-150 Pro, which this will be paired with.
~ Better AF is practically assured vs the Sigma. Anything close to my 40-150 Pro and I will be happy.
~ The ability to use my MC-14 teleconverter.
~ Assuming IS is Sync IS, it will work with my EM1 MKIII to the full extent of the IBIS system.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
While the optical design seems to be very close, there are important improvements that Olympus has made that give it added value:
~ Tripod foot and collar, both of which may be removable, vs. no collar or foot for the Sigma.
Some of these Olympus improvements are nice to have, others are essential (to me), especially the tripod foot and collar. For a lens this size, I wouldn't buy one that didn't have this feature (that said, I sure hope it is removable too). This would seem to be true of any E-M5III user who is even slightly concerned with the tripod mount. I am somewhat concerned in general, but with a lens like this, I'd be very concerned, enough that it wouldn't happen.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
My understanding is that the Sigma has a tripod foot/collar, but it's an optional accessory. I.e., you pay extra for it.
Not on the $700 lens that was referenced, see page 3 "Buyers get in the box two caps and a hood. The lens doesn’t offer you a possibility to use a tripod adapter."

https://www.lenstip.com/502.3-Lens_...SM_Build_quality_and_image_stabilization.html

Though available on some, it is not an option on the C model for APSC. This lens has the optical formula others are referring to as the design the Olympus lens is based upon.

Last edited:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It works with Sigma's TC-1401 and I believe the TC-2001. I know some APS-C users have mounted the 1.4x Sigma teleconverter onto it before.

Of course, that's for anyone who wants to go down the diehard route of saving money by buying an EF mount lens and have the option of mounting it on another body.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
It works with Sigma's TC-1401 and I believe the TC-2001. I know some APS-C users have mounted the 1.4x Sigma teleconverter onto it before.

Of course, that's for anyone who wants to go down the diehard route of saving money by buying an EF mount lens and have the option of mounting it on another body.
Do any of the EF to MFT adapters support weather-sealing? The Metabones adapters don't. Doubt others do. Adapters are an added cost and they seldom support all the features a native lens can. More good reasons to stick with the Olympus. :)

Going too far down the penny-pinching path could end up being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Do any of the EF to MFT adapters support weather-sealing? The Metabones adapters don't. Doubt others do. Adapters are an added cost and they seldom support all the features a native lens can. More good reasons to stick with the Olympus. :)

Going too far down the penny-pinching path could end up being penny-wise and pound-foolish.
None of them do. There is also no viable CAF with adapted lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom