1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upcoming holiday - Lens advice or fresh perspective

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dnightingale, Jan 24, 2013.

1. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I do admit that I have put myself in this position by deciding to maintain two systems. M43 & Fuji X. I probably deserve the headache I have brought on myself, though I'm not about to give either camera up.

I'll try to sum this up concisely.

So... I would really like to buy one more lens before I go (7 weeks away). I will be cruising around New Zealand with plenty of shore time.

I want to take either my E-M5 or X-Pro1, and take whatever I can fit into my little Thinktank Retrospective 5. At the moment for the E-M5 I have the 20 1.7, 25 1.4, and 12-50. For the X-Pro1 I have the 35 1.4 & 18-55.

There are a few options I'm looking at:

1. E-M5 with 14mm, 25mm and purchase a 12-35 for it's IQ
    2. X-Pro1 with 35, 18-55 and purchase the new Fuji 14mm
    3. E-M5 with 25mm, 12-50 and purchase the 12mm

And a couple of considerations:

I understand the 14mm Fuji isn't quite available yet, though it hopefully will be by that time & I have no doubt it will be as fine a lens as all the other Fuji X lenses. If it's not available at the time, I guess my decision will be easier.

I rarely use or have used tele lenses (on my Nikon dinosaur), so a really nice wide or ultra wide will be more useful to me thus takes some priority over anything longer at the moment.

I've been drooling for the 12mm for so long, yet the 14mm Fuji will be effectively wider. The Oly 12-50 while being more versatile, loses out to the Fuji 18-55 for me, thus my consideration for the 12-35.

I'll probably take my $290 Nikon V1 for video, as a back up and for the rest of the family to use.

As for anything else I may need, I think I'm well enough covered. Bag, travel tripod, batteries, filters and accessories.

So am I over thinking all this? Probably. My jar of 1 & 2 dollar coins are starting to look useful though.

If anyone has a perspective to share (Like using the spare $$$ for drinks money instead), or can see something that I can't due to looking too hard, i'd appreciate it. (Sorry it wasn't as concise as I had hoped).

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    You have a lot of redundancy in your kit.
    In my opinion you would be better off to take both bodies and one lens each.
    OM-D and the 12-50 kit lens (it rains a lot in NZ...) and the X-PRO1 with the 35 1.4. You have a spare body in case the other breaks and you never have to change lenses and the cameras are always at the ready.
    If you can't stop the itch to buy something new then get either the Olympus 9-18 or Panasonic 7-14 for some exciting perspective on the New Zealand landscape.
    Rudy

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Buy the 12-35 just before your vacation. Take it and the 25 and a legacy 55 f1.7 (cheap,sharp and fun) for reach. Come back and return the 12-35( Amazon gives you 30 days). Or keep it and sell the 14 and 20. Buy the 14 Fuji. Sell the 18-55 if you keep the 12-35. Unless, of course, money is a non factor, then buy,buy,buy!

4. Hmm, I'd take a combination of both, particularly on a cruise where you won't exactly be lugging your entire pack around. Bring back memories in two different flavours; that's a lot of the reason why I like to use different platforms.

5. dnightingale

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Wow.. I had to read that a couple of times. I don't mind selling the 14 and 20 and buying the Fuji 14. I'd probably keep the 12-35 as well.

As Rudy mentioned, the Ultra wide zooms are also a very valid option, though I would prefer a prime. I had a quick re-read of Amin's comparison of the 9-18 & 7-14. I probably prefer the 7-14 though I do sometimes use filters which may quash that anyway.

6. dnightingale

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Nice!

Which kit should I then take on the Taieri Gorge day trip then? ?%!&

7. Well, now I feel all embarrassed about what I was considering taking to Machu Picchu :redface: However, all up it would still weigh less than the single DSLR and four lenses that I twice carried overseas.

Question: are you travelling alone? With family? Maybe some tactical "distribution" of equipment...

8. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    A wide angle zoom on the OM-D for the outside and the 35mm on the Fuji for the smiling faces on the inside of the train.
    Just think how much easier this would be than fumbling with lens changes on a moving train...
    Rudy

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If by chance you were thinking of the Oly 9-18 you would want to buy it before the end of the month to get the Olympus 20% cash back.

10. dnightingale

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Yes... I haven't given the cash back a thought! That makes the 9-18 around $570 and the 12mm around $710. Or the black 12mm for $880. I think I'd pass on the black.

Luckypenguin... I'm travelling with my wife and two of my kids. We have plenty of capacity for luggage, though only a standard cabin. Apart from wanting to take both kits with me while out and about, I know if I have all my gear to play with, I'll probably get too carried away with trying to use everything all the time. I'd like to keep it simple with 1 main kit & three lenses. I might be more sensible taking the GX1 body for the family to use and a backup instead of the Nikon V1.

I do have a back problem from an earlier accident which means I can't carry a backpack. I seem to be fine with smaller bags.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You may as well pass on the Black 12mm because that one isn't included in the cashback. :wink: