1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upcoming GH3 firmware update in July

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by heli-mech, Jun 24, 2013.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Just came across this:

Notice for DMC-GH3 Firmware Update | Press Release | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Low Light AF" is added that makes it possible to set focus on the subject in low-lit situations (-3EV). This function is popular in GF6/G6.
    -
    "Silent Mode" is added which suppresses electronic shutter, shutter sound, operation sound and flash emission with a single setting.
    -
    "Exposure Comp. Reset" is added which resets the setting of exposure compensation to ±0 whenever the camera is turned off or the shooting mode is changed.
    -
    Connection problem with Apple Mac computers via Wi-Fi is fixed.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

2. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    Too bad they are not adding "Focus peaking". That would make using legacy lens so much easier.

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Good update for GH3, looking forward... (i'm not quite sure, there are some minor niggles using Auto ISO, I'll have to double check...)

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Isn't the most important "feature" of this firmware release the fact that there is one - so that it can be hacked?

5. Jamie Hayes

Jamie Hayes New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2013
    My trouble has been trying to do the firmware update 1.1 from a Mac. I have tried everything and no luck. I've looked at every YouTube and the lumix support and no luck. Does anyone have any tips?

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    At least with my G5, all I did was download the firmware file to my mac, copy the file onto a blank SD card, and load the SD card onto my G5, boot the camera, and it updated fine.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Agreed... I know they've already said they won't be adding it to the GH3 but it's still disappointing. Doubly so since Fuji is adding it to their X-Pro1 and X-E1, and Panasonic incorporated it in the G6.

It makes little sense to me for the G6 to have it but the GH3 flagship model not to. The GH5 is unlikely to come out all that soon so that's a pretty long wait between introducing peaking as a feature and making it available in their hybrid video & stills "pro" model.

Having said all that, I'm *still* not expecting Panasonic to introduce it in a firmware update :wink:

8. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    While my GH3 is still onroute and I really don't have a need for peaking I can see its value, especially when looked at from a large portion of the GH3's target market.

I have seen a couple vague comments by panasonic saying there is a technical limitation preventing them from implementing it but I think its got to be more than that. I mean how can their latest and greatest camera not have the cpu power to handle it when people have hacked much older cameras (magic lantern & canon) to have it? E-P5 has it so presumably its not a sensor limitation (assuming same sensor).

The only thing I can think is it is a marketing decision to try and sell a few extra g6's until they decide to add it to the gh3's.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

9. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    I'm hoping somebody will hack the firmware and focus peaking.

10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    GH3 firmware released:

Update Contents for DMC-GH3

Update: upgraded firmware, looks good. The "Lowlight AF" I think is well worth it, and the "Silent Mode" feature.