1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Upcoming Arizona trip

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by afg08, Aug 2, 2016.

1. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    Our first time to Arizona, the usual places, Grand Canyon, Bryce etc. I think I have settled on the Panasonic GX8 with the 12-35 and the Panasonic FZ 1000 as a backup and for longer shots. But will I need anything wider or should I depend on panorama photos? I have thought about buying the Panny 7-14 if there is a need.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could probably make use of something wider, but I don't know if I would say you need something wider. 12mm is pretty good. TBH, sometimes going too wide can be a detriment because it makes the HUGE canyons look a bit shallow. Unless you are leaning over the edge, of course... :)

So since you mentioned Bryce Canyon, in Utah, are you planning on Zion? You'll have to drive pretty much right past it. At the very least, hit the Kolob Canyon portion as the entrance is seriously 100 yards off I-15.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    7-14 was very useful in Bryce, and it's in Utah, btw :)

4. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    Yes I know where Bryce is..should have included Utah I suppose. We're on a tour, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Lake Powell,Bryce and Zion. I don't think I have a lot of use for a 7-14 outside of this trip but I am willing to buy one if it makes a difference in what I already have.

5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I went the the Grand Canyon and Sedona for my first time this year. I purchased the 9-18mm for this trip (and later have traded it for the 7-14). In hindsight, I don't think I would do it again. I used the 12-35mm most of the time and stitching is just too easy (and you get more pixels in your landscape). I still have the 7-14 but don't use it much.

6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Could always pick up a 7.5mm fisheye for cheap. I love mine and its become my go to wide angle

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While I would agree the 7-14 would be great, I really enjoy mine. The 7.5 fish is a reasonable alternative and easy enough to de-fish in post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    I'm also planning to visit Arizona, in September.

Day 1, From CA,
    HWY 40, stop in Kingman and/or Seligman (Historical Route 66 sites)

Stay in Sedona
    Day 2
    Visit the bluffs (red rocks) & chapel
    Galleries in town
    ??

Day 3, Go to Grand Canyon (day trip)
    Flagstaff - brunch
    Grand Canyon Village, exit east. _Short_ hikes (hot weather...) to viewpoints.
    Flagstaff - dinner, nightlife?/walking around

Back to Sedona (no nightlife??)

Day 4, return to LA via Scottsdale,
    visit Taliesin West (Frank Lloyd Wright's vacation house), take one of the tours (late morning or noon).
    HWY 10 West.

Any recommendations for the any of the above or anything along the route would be appreciated...
    Things to see (photogenic or not), dining, walking around in the evenings, etc.

Thanks,
    Barry

9. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Suggest on Day 1 to visit Oatman which is off Hgy 95 in AZ. You can detour off 95 and go thru Oatman to end in Kingman. Old west single road storefront town with lots of photo opportunities and most times wild burros on the streets.

Day 3, see if you can work in a quick trip to the Sunset Crater Volcano NM, it is NE of Flagstaff off Hgy 89. You can drive it on the way to the GC or the way back if you do a loop on 180/64/89. The Watchtower is also on the East exit out at Desert View. Great shots later in the day once the sun is in the West.

Also if you haven't seen it, Meteor Crater, about 35 miles +/- East of Flagstaff on Hgy 40 is worth a visit. Huge circular hole about 1 mile across with big raised lip caused by a meteorite hit.

To the OP; while I wouldn't spend the $ just for a one time use, the 7-14 could add some unusual angles at the GC, if you willing to lay on your stomach and lean over the edge. Rangers don't like this though, for good reason. If you are going to be near Page, AZ and visit any slot canyons, it is the best lens for that, as well as the Horseshoe Bend shot of the river canyon a few miles S. or Page.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. moonraker

moonraker Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 6, 2013
    Wiltshire, UK
    +1 for the Meteor Crater, well worth the detour..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Buy a used 7-14 for fair market value, and then sell it when you get home. You get the benefit of "renting" a 7-14, but it ends up costing you far less in the end.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I did this a few times with Nikon telephotos, mainly the older 80-400, maybe 3-4 times over a 6-7year period. I think it ended up costing me about $50-$100 each time for the month or two I kept it each time. Not too bad for a lens that originally sold for about $1750 ( ? ), but was selling for between $900 & $1200 the times I "rented" it.

13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, there's no way you could have rented the lens for a month for $100 through a place like Lens Rentals or Borrow Lenses. That's the great thing about lenses that have been on the market for a while is that they've typically plateau'd in terms of cost. So buying and selling a lens for the same price really only costs you the PayPal and shipping fees. If you have the cash to pay for the item up front and will be using it for an extended period of time, it's definitely an attractive option.

14. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Would a telephoto lens be very useful at Grand Canyon or Sedona?

I'm already going to be encumbered with the large ZD 7-14 & ZD 8FE & the 12-40 so if anything I'd probably take the 40-150R over the larger tele options.
    Might rain though.

I did see a pic of an interesting lizard or gecko, are they common?
    Also wondering about tele for landscapes.

Thanks

15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Just for occasional wild life. And I'd take something with 300mm on long end.

16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Cool, but what are those?
    Not pronghorn, right?

300mm means my ZD 70-300mm, big... Will see if it'll fit in my bag with everything else.

I now also have a 2x TC for my Minolta Rokkor 135mm, but initial tests were disappointing, not that I expected much.

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Bighorns, Grand Canyon. Taken with 35-100/f2.8 at 100mm and a lot of cropping.
    My current wildlife lens is 45-175, here is the one with it at 175mm, cropped too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    OK, I got the following in my Oly mini-messenger bag:
    ZD 8mm FE
    ZD 7-14mm
    ZD 70-300mm w hood reversed
    O17/1.8 w hood (Astro, town at night)
    Batteries
    CPL filter, 62mm
    MMF-3
    EC-14

Then, I'll put the E-M1 w 12-40mm in my ThinkTank MM10, along with the 9mm BCL. I'll probably choose one of the 2 bags for hikes, and wear the camera on the PD Slide strap.

Barry

19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    This is where a wifi connected camera like the GX8 becomes very handy. Use a monopod to position the camera, and your phone to frame and take the shot. Works great also when trying to get a higher point of view too.

• Useful Useful x 1