1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

up the creek

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by MattNQ, Aug 24, 2012.

1. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    One of the things I love about my EPL1 is that it balances nicely on a Joby Gorillapod, so I can put it on a rock in the middle of a creek...just above the water. Just like this....
    I do sometimes wish it was weathersealed though :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

Genius man, and brave.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - on both counts. Very fine shots, I would worry about spray and having the camera fall over into the water. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. akaRichard

akaRichard New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2012
    Brampton (Greater Toronto), Canada
    Richard
    It's too bad that I can't see the EXIF for these photos. They are amazing. I wouldn't mind knowing what lens was used and if any PP was done to them (and with what tool, if applicable)?

• Like Like x 1
  5. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks all for the comments.
    Creeks are more predictable than the ocean - You tend to get standing waves over the rocks - no freak waves of differening sizes, so you get an idea which spots are 'safer' than others. I always keep a hand on one leg of the gorillapod just to be sure.

Shot with the EPL1 with the 9-18mm M.Zuiko. Here are the settings for each shot;

#1 - 1/10s F6.3, ISO 100, 9mm. I reworked it for printing this week, so I have a slightly better version I haven't loaded yet.
    #2 - 1/5s f22, ISO100, 9mm
    #3 - 1/2s f16, ISO100, 9mm
    #4 - 1/5s f11, ISO100. 9mm Son was told to stop yapping & stay very still! I do have a later version of this one somewhere where I brought in the sky detail that was blown out in this shot

I dropped my ND400 filter in the creek (it did survive unscathed) & didn't have the means to dry it. So had to stop down the aperture to get the shutter speed I wanted. This meant some loss of colour. PP was with Paintshop Pro X3 & focussed on getting the colours richer, and the water texture defined. The first one actually has a water drop cloned out as well.
    A touch of tone mapping to define the water shapes a little better (similar to the clarity slider in lightroom perhaps, and some slight sharpening.

6. akaRichard

akaRichard New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2012
    Brampton (Greater Toronto), Canada
    Richard
    You know, I really wish I had the fortitude and patience for PP. It would really enhance many of my shots. Most times, I only have the patience to hit "Auto" white balance in Lightroom and that's it.

It's shots like this that inspire me to either watch more tutorials or take a workshop.

Again, very well done.

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +2

Fabulous shots. I just got a WCON-P01 wide angle adapter for my 14-42 IIR. It's a cheap way to try out wide angle shooting. I sure love shots like yours from the 9-18. GAS, GAS, go away! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pardon my ignorance but can you explain how this impacts color?

9. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Rob, I just find that with this camera, when I stop right down to apertures small than f16, I simply don't have the same colour range - images tend to be a bit washed out. Maybe it is just me?

10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Great shots especially the last one with your son!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These are different from the normal river shots because I feel like I'm getting hit in the face! Nice idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah, some lenses suffer marked loss due to diffraction becoming more dominant at those apertures. Sounds like what you describe.

Good reason for ND filter.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Yes. Next time I will not drop my ND filter in the creek!