1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

up the creek

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by MattNQ, Aug 24, 2012.

1. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    One of the things I love about my EPL1 is that it balances nicely on a Joby Gorillapod, so I can put it on a rock in the middle of a creek...just above the water. Just like this....
    I do sometimes wish it was weathersealed though :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

Genius man, and brave.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - on both counts. Very fine shots, I would worry about spray and having the camera fall over into the water. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. akaRichard

akaRichard New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2012
    Brampton (Greater Toronto), Canada
    Richard
    It's too bad that I can't see the EXIF for these photos. They are amazing. I wouldn't mind knowing what lens was used and if any PP was done to them (and with what tool, if applicable)?

• Like Like x 1
  5. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks all for the comments.
    Creeks are more predictable than the ocean - You tend to get standing waves over the rocks - no freak waves of differening sizes, so you get an idea which spots are 'safer' than others. I always keep a hand on one leg of the gorillapod just to be sure.

Shot with the EPL1 with the 9-18mm M.Zuiko. Here are the settings for each shot;

#1 - 1/10s F6.3, ISO 100, 9mm. I reworked it for printing this week, so I have a slightly better version I haven't loaded yet.
    #2 - 1/5s f22, ISO100, 9mm
    #3 - 1/2s f16, ISO100, 9mm
    #4 - 1/5s f11, ISO100. 9mm Son was told to stop yapping & stay very still! I do have a later version of this one somewhere where I brought in the sky detail that was blown out in this shot

I dropped my ND400 filter in the creek (it did survive unscathed) & didn't have the means to dry it. So had to stop down the aperture to get the shutter speed I wanted. This meant some loss of colour. PP was with Paintshop Pro X3 & focussed on getting the colours richer, and the water texture defined. The first one actually has a water drop cloned out as well.
    A touch of tone mapping to define the water shapes a little better (similar to the clarity slider in lightroom perhaps, and some slight sharpening.

6. akaRichard

akaRichard New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2012
    Brampton (Greater Toronto), Canada
    Richard
    You know, I really wish I had the fortitude and patience for PP. It would really enhance many of my shots. Most times, I only have the patience to hit "Auto" white balance in Lightroom and that's it.

It's shots like this that inspire me to either watch more tutorials or take a workshop.

Again, very well done.

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +2

Fabulous shots. I just got a WCON-P01 wide angle adapter for my 14-42 IIR. It's a cheap way to try out wide angle shooting. I sure love shots like yours from the 9-18. GAS, GAS, go away! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pardon my ignorance but can you explain how this impacts color?

9. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Rob, I just find that with this camera, when I stop right down to apertures small than f16, I simply don't have the same colour range - images tend to be a bit washed out. Maybe it is just me?

10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Great shots especially the last one with your son!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These are different from the normal river shots because I feel like I'm getting hit in the face! Nice idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah, some lenses suffer marked loss due to diffraction becoming more dominant at those apertures. Sounds like what you describe.

Good reason for ND filter.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Yes. Next time I will not drop my ND filter in the creek!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.