Unusual stuff in the sky thread

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
In the past month, I've captured three things in the sky that were unusual.

A horseshoe vortex:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and a couple of clouds or contrails that were out of the ordinary:

Feel free to add your unusual things in the sky.

Cheers, Jock

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry

I didn't figure out what caused this (Superman?), but it was a large area affected (the pics were taken 10 mins apart while driving on streets).
Note the ripples in the first picture.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The two last pictures do look suspiciously like the trail of a secret military plane of sorts, or a UFO as suggested.

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View attachment 582996

View attachment 582997

I didn't figure out what caused this (Superman?), but it was a large area affected (the pics were taken 10 mins apart while driving on streets).
Note the ripples in the first picture.
Holy synchronicity, Barry! Because of the unusual things I have been photographing in the sky this month, I ordered three books about clouds just a few days ago.

Just last evening, the first arrived. It's called The Cloud Collector's Handbook, and it is written by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society.

According to page 78 of the handbook, what you have there is a distrail, short for dissipation trail, which is formed when "a plane cuts out a gap as it flies through a cloud layer. This happens when the heat and turbulence of its engine make the cloud droplets evaporate, or when it introduces icing nuclei that encourage the cloud's supercooled droplets to freeze and fall below." As near as I can tell, a distrail is kind of like the "negative" of a contrail. Perfect for a photography forum, no?

In any event, way cool!

Cheers, Jock

Last edited:

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
A couple more, from a walk on October 27:

Both SOOC jpegs.

Cheers, Jock

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've been in the habit of "collecting" clouds lately for a project that is brewing inside my head. There are soooo many different formations that we take for granted... until we open up our eyes... and our shutters!

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
I've been in the habit of "collecting" clouds lately for a project that is brewing inside my head. There are soooo many different formations that we take for granted... until we open up our eyes... and our shutters!
View attachment 584503
Jack Borden, of For Spacious Skies says the sky is "the greatest show off earth."

Might I humbly suggest that we turn this thread into kind of "a project"?

Cheers, Jock

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I actually remember seeing a missile test in southern California, probably in the early 2000's, that looked a lot like this (less bright of course, more phosphorescent white and far off in the evening sky). You could actually see the flight of the missile and the intercept missile that struck it. It was surreal (and a little scary). Wish I'd have gotten some photos.

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
According to page 78 of the handbook, what you have there is a distrail, short for dissipation trail, which is formed when "a plane cuts out a gap as it flies through a cloud layer. This happens when the heat and turbulence of its engine make the cloud droplets evaporate, or when it introduces icing nuclei that encourage the cloud's supercooled droplets to freeze and fall below." As near as I can tell, a distrail is kind of like the "negative" of a contrail. Perfect for a photography forum, no?

In any event, way cool!

Cheers, Jock
Also known as 'cloud canals', and made in the same way as 'fallstreak holes'.

Fallstreak hole - Wikipedia

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
View attachment 584503
I don't know what that is . . . do you? And where was it taken?

Edit for additional: following the link that bredman posted above, that might be a Fallstreak hole.

Cheers, Jock

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't know what that is . . . do you? And where was it taken?

Edit for additional: following the link that bredman posted above, that might be a Fallstreak hole.

Cheers, Jock
HI Jock

It was actually taken just outside my house... I was out trying to get my lawn cut before starting the BBQ... looked and the sky just got weird... so the BBQ was a little late while I was trying to get a few shots of the clouds in before they disappeared... and they certainly didn't last too long!
location: couple of miles north of Lake Ontario, 1 hour east of Toronto

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Only had my phone - SpaceX rocket launch last night over SoCal

SpaceX's Jaw-Dropping Rocket Launch Wows Spectators Across Southern California

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom