Until Olympus builds a serious constant aperture telephoto zoom ......

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
one workaround is to use the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 APO DG EX HSM in Canon EOS mount.

I do some MTF testing and some wildlife shooting to show how good this lens is, and how affordable the first generation nonstabilized version is.

Introducing the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM for m43 users.

If you think this link is unsafe, you can google Jim Chung Blog and see all the past m43 related entries I've made and reach the site that way.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
what is your use case that requires constant aperture and such intensity on sharpness?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
So you want Olympus to design, build and sell an f2.8 very long zoom for a very low price? Any other impossible combination of features / price you want from lens manufacturers?

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
To be fair this is a pretty interesting option, and none that native lens producers will ever be able to compete with for various reasons. That said, looking at the recent AF test on adapters done by the guys at camerastoretv I think there is still some way to go, before I would consider a lens like that. However, when the day comes, I think this would probably be the only way I could ever afford a 300mm f2.8. You could even add a TC at that aperture.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
True, but oh so rare and still so expensive on the used market.
They are relatively rare, it's true, but they do come up fairly regularly in the used section of Adorama and on feebay if you're prepared to be patient. I bought a very clean copy last year for about $2400.

I've wondered about the Sigma 120-300/2.8 in the past, so I find the images you've posted informative — thanks for making the effort. It's a pity the CA performance of the lens isn't better, but for ≈$800 you can't really grumble! The IQ of the 90-250/2.8 is noticeably higher in terms of edge resolution, CA and bokeh smoothness, but the lens is also bigger, heavier, more costly and has a shorter maximum FL, so it's a matter of personal priorities and intended usage.

It would be interesting to compare the optical performance of the two versions of the 120-300, should the opportunity arise. :)

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for the information on the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 Non OS Jim, I was looking into it but was a bit turned off by the performance reports of the OS version on Lenstip with a teleconverter. I realized the teleconverter they used was a much older model and the 120-300 f/2.8 looks real tempting now.

I hear the stabilized versions has better image quality, especially the version that's related to the Sport version of the lens but was before the refresh Global Vision era of designs. There is however the associated weight difference on the stabilized versions....

To be fair this is a pretty interesting option, and none that native lens producers will ever be able to compete with for various reasons. That said, looking at the recent AF test on adapters done by the guys at camerastoretv I think there is still some way to go, before I would consider a lens like that. However, when the day comes, I think this would probably be the only way I could ever afford a 300mm f2.8. You could even add a TC at that aperture.
Video AF is very different from stills AF, especially for actual owners of adapted optics. Especially with how the E-M1II doesn't AF in videos with adapted lenses:

But videos from big names with some sponsor pushes on new product launches always get more attention. Especially if it comes with the cry of "Sony will crush everyone."

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
As it's a 300mm f/2.8 that takes 105mm filters how long do the batteries for the image intensifier last?

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
So you want Olympus to design, build and sell an f2.8 very long zoom for a very low price? Any other impossible combination of features / price you want from lens manufacturers
Not sure if you are directing this remark to me. I'm merely introducing an idea that appeals to the budget minded amongst us (myself included) and I also like the idea of buy used since it saves and reuses resources.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure if you are directing this remark to me. I'm merely introducing an idea that appeals to the budget minded amongst us (myself included) and I also like the idea of buy used since it saves and reuses resources.
Not to mention with the right TC mixed into play you could get a 420mm f/4 and a 600mm f/5.6 - not something that would compete with the upper $4k and beyond lenses but a very competitive lens if you need the reach for under two thousand.

It's just easier to keep one centralized location for those wanting to access it.
I binged through your blog a while back when you posted the AF performance - I was convinced to buy a focal reducer way back because of it. I appreciate much of your information.

Maybe for other forum members duplicating the post and linking to the blog may work. I find your research and presentation into the MTF performance of lenses as very helpful.

I know my own posts are scattered about and there's no real central source and I just end up reposting things to people who have questions about focal reducers on lenses.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom