1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Unsplash... from an Affinity Photo user's POV

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ScottinPollock, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:43 AM.

1. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 26, 2017
    So I am perusing the additions in the new 1.7 version and came across the "Stock" tab. Three services are there for free stock photos. For the sake of this discussion I'll focus on one of them... Unsplash.

The following is a quote from their license page:

"More precisely, Unsplash grants you an irrevocable, nonexclusive, worldwide copyright license to download, copy, modify, distribute, perform, and use photos from Unsplash for free, including for commercial purposes, without permission from or attributing the photographer or Unsplash."

I don't even need to join... the images are just "there"! High quality, high resolution, searchable... over 800,000 of them! This is just crazy. And their website is well designed to boot. How do they generate revenue?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The better question is why the hell are people putting their images on the site? Spending thousands of dollars on equipment, taking time to travel to a location, set up, shoot, edit, etc., only to give their work away for free.

I honestly don't get it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Maybe it's got Chinese tracking, spyware etc., like the free video games they are giving away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.