1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Unscrewing GF1 20mm lens - possiblity of sand inside

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by m912, Aug 5, 2011.

1. m912

m912 New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2011
    I recently took my GF1 to the beach (stupid) and have since noticed that the lens has slight friction when turning.

Is it recommended that I unscrew the base of the lens to try and blow away whatever is inside, or not?

I could be imagining things, as it might not have been as smooth as I remembered all along, but would be good to check anyway!

This doesn't affect photo quality or anything, but is still annoying to think there might be sand/dust trapped somewhere inside.

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Think twice

I'm not clear which part of the lens you want to disassemble, but I would think twice. The lens mount (on the lens body) attaches to the lens body with screws that must be removed from the rear of the lens. If you can't separate the lens from the body, you won't be able to separate them. Lens are normally serviced in a "clean room" that has positive pressure. Once you open the lens body you stand a very good chance of getting dust or other foreign material inside.

If you somehow got sand between the lens and the body, it would be stiff, but I can't see a grain of sand totally preventing you from removing the lens. Considering the damage you could do, you might be better off sending it in to service.