1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

UNscientific OM-D vs. NEX-6

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Nov 24, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Let me reiterate the UNscientific part. There are enough technical comparisons out there. This is a camera user, gut feel impression between the two. I've used the OM-D extensively for a few months. It is a great camera. Great image quality, great handling (with the grip), and enough accessories and lenses to keep most anyone happy. But then Sony released this damn NEX-6. I never quite bought into the Tri-Nav thing. Too many dials too close together for me. But the NEX-6 fixed that. 24mp out of an APS-C seemed like a bit of a push to me, the NEX-6 fixed that. The kit zoom (I love and use kit zooms) was too big on the NEX-7, the NEX-6 fixed that AND (very key to me) went to a 24mm equivalent! A 24-75 will cover 90% of my photo needs. Yes I know the limitations of kits zooms, but I'll take the convenience of having the range. My choice.

So here they are. I'll post a few comments about each. If you have real world questions, ask. I'm more one of us, not a reviewer.

bothfront.

bothback.

• Like Like x 7
  2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    First up... not sure I like the power zoom/zoom-by-wire feel. My Oly lenses really zoom by hand. At least the 12-50 gave me the choice. I understand the 18-55 Sony is a real-feel zoom. This is a nice range though, 24-75 is great.

I've left the flash on the OM-D to remind you that if you're going out and might need a little fill, you'll need to take this with you. The NEX-6 has a tiny flash built-in. I rarely use either, but if pressed into a snapshot, at least the Sony's is built in.

I'm 54, I grew up with the mode dial on the right. My E-PL2 (LOVE) has it on the right. Took a bit to get used to the dial on the left on the OM-D. NEX-6 is back where it belongs. Old habits die hard, sorry.

Card door is perfect on the OM-D. Sony is back on the bottom. Not a deal breaker, just more convenient on the side like my old Nikons.

Battery life sucks (technical term) on the NEX-6, but I'd have a spare anyway.

I don't like the handling of the OM-D nearly as much without the grip(s). The NEX-6 has a much more pronounced grip and feels better (secure) in the hand than the OM-D WITHOUT the grip(s).

More later, and yes pics for the peepers.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That new lens looks great, I'm assuming it extends and behaves somewhat like the Lumix 14-42X, also with power zoom only.

What was the price of your NEX6 kit?

4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Sure appreciate this comparison. Image quality?

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    A little bit of a leading question here, but curious what you think of the N6's eyecup and EVF use outdoors in daylight (even not so strong sidelight).

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If Sony had a better line up of lenses, in terms of variety, quality, and size, I might seriously consider it. Right now, though, I think m43 offers the best set of compromises in mirrorless, by far.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Cosmetically, the Sony looks more like a hammer ... an ugly hammer at that. At least to me. I am very interested in image comparisons.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just can't get enthused on the NEX6. I've got a 5n right now, since Sept. The only shooting experience I like is with one particular MF lens -- the output and ergos are great for portable MF.

I've tried (again) some of the Sony lenses (though not the 50 or the 24) and it's just not that exciting. AF is poor. IQ is OK with the native lenses, but not blow-your-socks-off.

I'd like to hear AF comparisons; OMD to NEX6 (or NEX6 vs 5n if you have one of the latter). I've read on talknex that the 6 AF speed didn't turn out to be all it was hyped for. This is less of an issue, of course, if you are using it for MF ;)

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I see your OMD is/was on the selling block - You going NEX-6 now?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pictures please!

11. I suspect that I'd be more comfortable with the NEX-6 than I am with the NEX-5N given the larger size of the 6, and in particular the extra height in the body and grip. The 5N really is an odd little camera.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love to see a street shooter comparison between the two cameras using primes.

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Next... here's a shot from both. OM-D on the right, NEX-6 on the left. Holding the left/right image to be approximately the same. This is ISO200, P, Multi-pattern metering. No other special adjustments. A snapshot if you will. Opened one in PS, then expanded the canvas to fit the other pasted in, no other adjustments. Here's the full-size, 350dpi jpg: http://www.vieragraphics.com/files/DSC00006LG.jpg (19.3MB download). Here's the screen res...

DSC00006SM.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Both are fine. Mostly metering differences. Nice hotub!

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
  16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That's the end of our pool... but THANKS! I wanted something with hot spots and shadows, color and texture.

Metering is set to the same defaults (as much as possible). I've always though Oly "sees" pics the way my eye does.

17. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
  18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    400% crop of plant tip.

400percent.

19. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    The eyecup is fine, no issues, and I wear glasses. Without the eyecup, my glasses would be hitting the textured surface of the camera. If that area was rubberized under the eyecup, I wouldn't use the eyecup, but it doesn't interfere. I wish the diopter adjustment was hard clicks rather than the fine tuning it is.

20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Interestingly, it looks like a +2/3 stop adjustment in camera brings the NEX-6 right into line with the OM-D, and now shows better shadow detail than the OM-D, again unscientifically.

LARGE: http://www.vieragraphics.com/files/plus23LG.jpg

SMALL:

plus23SM.