Unresponsive E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by khansenCT, Jul 20, 2013.

1. khansenCT

khansenCT New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2013
    I have had my new E-P5 for three days and love it. Unfortunately, this morning it just stopped working. When I turn it on, I see the image (assuming lens cap off) for about 5-10 seconds with none of the info (i.e., battery level, shutter speed, etc.), then the screen turns off. Pressing any of the buttons, including menu and shutter, or changing modes doesn't do anything. I've tried removing the battery (fully charged), the SD card, the lens, the electronic viewfinder all with no effect. If I plug the camera into the computer I see the usual menu on the camera where you can select the Storage option to transfer images.

Is there a way to reset the camera? Any ideas? Olympus phone support isn't available until Monday. And I am in the middle of my vacation...

Help!

2. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    See if running the firmware update software doesn't bring it out of its funk.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You might try cleaning the battery contacts and making sure they match up with the contacts in the battery compartment. I assume leaving the EVF off makes no difference?

4. khansenCT

khansenCT New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2013
    Just tried the firmware update. It said no updates were needed (v1 is still the current I guess). Only option was to Close. Camera still doesn't work.

Update: Oops! Posted this reply to the wrong message. This belongs to the reply above.

5. khansenCT

khansenCT New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2013
    The battery seems to be ok. When I connect to the computer, it shows the battery level as full. I've tried with and without the EVF.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Have you removed the battery & put it back in :confused:

7. khansenCT

khansenCT New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2013
    Yup. Charged it up full, cleaned the contact and put it back.
    Karin

8. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    Try taking the battery out and let it sit for a day or two. This should drain the internal battery causing a complete reset (used to have to do this to my Canon D30 a lot).

Hope it works for you.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hope this isn't going to be a bug for the E-P5!

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I wouldn't worry at the moment :smile:

11. khansenCT

khansenCT New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2013
    I called Olympus this morning and they said to return the camera to the store.