University of Calif. - San Diego

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dave92029, Jan 17, 2012.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    The campus of UCSD is a wonderful pace to shoot the structures and art that are all over the campus. here are a few from my walk yesterday.

• Like Like x 4
  2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    No Sun God?

3. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    These are with the 9-18 I take it.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's where I did my undergrad work. It has quite a few interesting spots for photographs (including the steam tunnels). Weird to see it again.

5. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Lots of new buildings since I last graduated here.

There was always some interesting structures and art pieces scattered throughout campus, but I was too busy stressing over school work and girls to really stop and appreciate. :redface:

6. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Yes

Yes, I really love this lens.

7. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    You want more?

You asked for it...

• Like Like x 1
  8. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Tell me about it. When I went there, Central Library was hardly central. it was in the middle of nowhere. Now it is central and not even called Central Library anymore.

9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    ^ha, I don't even know where the old Central Library is at...wonder where they get the funding to renovate every few years.

When I first started, the "middle of the forest" Student center was defunct, and the Price Center was where it's at. Then not too long after I graduated, another $22 million expansion. :eek:

Beautiful shady eucalyptus trees, mid-seventies all year long, view of the ocean. Really wish I was more into photography back then. Thanks Dave, kinda miss it now.

10. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    "Central Library" is the last picture in OP's post. It's also the logo for UCSD. You probably don't know where it is because you're one of those kids that went to UCSD after it got renamed to Geisel.

The Price Center was a source of consternation in my day. We were charged the extra fees so that they could build it and yet it opened after we graduated. USCD finished 13 new buildings the year after I graduated.

Where do they get all the money? From the government, who else? All universities in the US, be they public or private, are funded by the federal government. It comes in the form of research grants. Many people think that student tuition funds research. It's the exact opposite. Research grants subsidize student tuition. When I was at a research lab at Stanford, 20% of our grant was taken by the university as a "tax". UCSD in particular gets a lot of money from the Navy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Another UC graduate here. In my case UCLA. These are very nice photos. I am in process on a project to record architecture of Yale University at the moment and am using the 9-18mm. I concur in your assessment. I thought it a little lack-lustre at first, but I have gotten some exceedingly strong images with it. It can and does capture a LOT of detail for an UWA lens.

Nice set!

woof!

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I had to go to that library a couple times to do research for stuff in HS. Looked great on the outside, but what a dump on the inside.