1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Universal L-bracket for OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thaiusmle, Feb 13, 2013.

1. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Anyone have experience using universal L-bracket on OM-D +/- grip?
    Please share your experience. Thanks :2thumbs:

2. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    It is interesting that you ask... I shoot 90% of my pictures with a tripod and I am a big believer in the L-brackets. I tried several of the Universal L-brackets and did not find them satisfactory for the OM-D + grip + battery holder. My issue was that they all required that I remove the L-bracket in order to change the battery.

I finally ended up purchasing an L-bracket to fit the Nikon D-4 from Sunway Foto. It is an ugly fit, but it has a specially made bracket that allows access to the battery hatch on the grip. It is not ideal, since it obscures the Fn2 button on the vertical grip control, but I'm willing to live with that for having an L-bracket that lets me switch between portrait and landscape and center the lens above the pivot point in the tripod mount. I can supply more info if you are interested.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Do you have a link to the plate you mentioned? Any info on the L-bracket use without grip? Thanks.

4. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    Here is a link to the vendor I worked with on eBay. Because no one actually makes an L-bracket for this combination, I needed to try several with the expectation that I was going to keep sending them back and getting another until I found one that worked. I wrote an email to this vendor (John), explained the issue, and he was willing to work with me.

Please remember that it is an ugly fit. It works really well, and the battery hatch access works great. But the bottom plate doesn't fit the size of the size of the bottom of the grip well, but it is an ugly fit that I am willing to live with to have the flexibility of quickly switching the orientation in the field.

I don't have any insight to an L-bracket that works without the grip. I put the grip on the camera the day I got the camera and I have never taken it off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    I just received a Desmond DAL-1 universal L bracket. It can be attached without blocking the battery compartment on the OMD; the base plate side is 3 1/2". Another advantage is the price which is much lower than any of the alternatives -- universal or customized for the OMD.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    You must attach it with the "L" upright on the grip end of the camera or it would block the Grip-battery door.

7. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    The DAL-1 universal L-plate has a smooth surface on the bottom plate. This allows for some slight shifting of the OM-D on the plate unless I really tighten it. I found some 3M Friction Tape at Wal-Mart and put a couple of strips on the bottom plate. Now no slipping.

8. tweggs

tweggs Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Seattle, WA. USA
    Try the rrs canon G-9 L-bracket it works fairly well. It works with the Vertical grip and also it works with or without the battery grip added. I found mine on ebay $25. We have 2 cameras set up this way.