Unique View of Volcanos

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Anne and I are heading back to Canada for a two week vacation with the family. Flying out of Managua early in the morning, provided us with a view of Momotombo and San Cristobal Volcanos - - - from the opposite side of what we are able to view while traveling through the country.

It was very difficult getting a clear and contrasty image while shooting through the morning haze and thick dirty airplane windows, but I am very satisfied to have these captures non-the-less:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Robert Watcher

Our normal perspective of these volcanos (BELOW), is from the total opposite side of the mountains and with Momotombo, it is far less imposing (except for the size and cone shape) as we never view the burnt out opening at the top and large rip down the side of the mountain.

This is the view of Momotombo (volcano in the top image above) we see every day:

We are about 10 miles away from San Cristobal (volcano in the bottom image above) and view it through the fields at the edge of the city of Leon where we live - - - or along the highway as we travel by bus to the next town.

San Cristobal erupted in September 2012 while we were there. Mostly it spewed out ash which affected local farmers and streamed to the west causing alerts to the nearby city of Chinendega.

• Like Like x 4
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Very nice! For the airplane window shots, consider applying a slight s shaped curve/increasing contrast a little to cut through the haze, which is inevitable in these types of shots.
  4. Robert Watcher

Thanks. Those are the steps that got me to this stage. It's as far as I can go without destroying the image. I'm fine with them though.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Some really FANTASTIC IMAGES! :2thumbs::thumbup:

But buried here by the gear threads....:hiding: