Unique Photo - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f/1.8 Lens Black or Silver $699 with Free Shipping

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Y2K, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    They have a number of lenses for $200 off, and others at $100 and $50 off. This one, the 12-40, the 12mm are all $200. The 17 is $100. A few at $50. And they're not contingent on buying a body with them - they're just straight up prices. Odd. Olympus has the deal on their site where you get these prices WITH the purchase of a body and I'm not seeing anything similar on B&H or other sites at this point. But these guys its just a straight up mark-down.

I just bought the 12-40 for $999 and would LOVE to save $200 but I'd hate to have to send this one back to where I bought it if they won't match the price. Which they won't do today but they said if this is some kind of national promotion they'll probably offer it soon and then they'll refund the difference... Damn. For a few dollars, I wouldn't care, but for $200, I CARE!

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    the 12-40 is also OOS

• Like Like x 1
  4. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Yea, I picked up my 12-40mm a few weeks ago as well, with the E-M1 body. Didn't send the rebate yet because wanted to make sure there are no issues with either before I cut out UPC. All is good so sending the rebate tomorrow. Wish I would wait as well since I could get $200 off right away now without waiting for the rebate and hassle. But I've used it many times already so I am not complaining too much.

5. emrldwpn

emrldwpn New to Mu-43

Jul 20, 2012
    California
    It looks like you can still place an order...will Unique Photo still honor this price or will they cancel the order?

6. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I talked with one of their retail salesperson last night. (she didn't seem up on things much, she had to put me on hold after each question but was helpful) They have more on order but they don't know when the order is coming. You can place the order and they will charge your CC only when the item ships.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    Just ordered the 12-40... thanks for posting this!

• Like Like x 1
  8. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Are they reputed sellers?

9. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    I ordered from them once before and didn't have any problems. One thing to note is their return policy - no returns on lenses over $699.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes... in my location they are a local shop. I've never had any problems BUT I always do business in person.

My only complaints is that they are a large shop (larger warehouse type building) but they don't seem to keep very good stock (at least the stiff I am interested in). The retail people are just that.. .retail. So I wouldn't go in with loads of questions. Also, they have a pretty strict return policy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    I have ordered from them before as well with no issues.

12. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I just called again, according to the dude I talked with the $799.00 was a mistake. Sounds like it will not be honored.

13. PhillyBill

PhillyBill Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2012
    William Jordan
    I had an online chat about an hour ago with a guy who told me that my lens would be shipped out as soon as they got stock. Very confusing.

14. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    It would be disappointing if they cancel, but understandable. Fingers crossed. Will update when I get some notice from them.

15. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    They told me the same thing. The rep didn't know exactly when they would have the lens either. Anyone with any experience with backordered from uniquephoto?

16. tyrepeddler

tyrepeddler Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    Phoenix Az
    Jim
    Hey when you put in cart the Price goes to 899 regular price to get this price you need to buy a Pen camera or a OMD camera

17. PhillyBill

PhillyBill Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2012
    William Jordan
    Despite taking my money, confirming the order, and even confirming this afternoon that they would ship the lens when available, Unique emailed tonight "canceling" the order.

No admission that they goofed, no apology, just a cowardly email cancellation after normal business hours.

A great company takes responsibility for their errors, and even is willing to take a financial hit.
    A good company admits that they goofed and apologizes.
    A poor company evades the issue.

Unique failed the test.

My question to anyone who ordered the 75mm, which was in stock, is - Did they honor the price on your orders? I'd love to know.

Thanks,

Bill

SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE - UNIQUE DID BETTER

18. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    Yeah, it was probably too good to be true. Congratulation to those who got it tho.

19. PhillyBill

PhillyBill Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2012
    William Jordan
    I have to soften my assessment. Within a couple of hours of my complaining about the way they handled the goof, the president of the company wrote me a cordial note explaining that the error resulted in a huge number of orders at the discounted prices, which would have potentially had catastrophic consequences for Unique, who could not have supplied the lenses, given the usual number that Oly produces for them, in any reasonable time frame, even if they could have afforded to take the financial hit.

My parents were family business owners, so I appreciate his predicament. Everyone can make a mistake, and I am glad he cleared the air.

20. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Unique is really quite good overall, but they have these kind of screw ups on a rather regular basis.
    However, I just got a shipping on the 12-40mm order I put in on the 6th @ $799.