Ungrading from my E-p3

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Henry, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Hello there!

I need a little advice from the M43 community.

A little background. I have been into photography on and off since the 90s not as a profession but artistically. I started of with a Pentax K1000/Pentax MX and I use them today. My first digital camera was the Lumix LC5, then I went from an E-pl1 to an E-p2 to an E-p3.

The E-p3 never replaced my film camera. I usually shoot B&W with my Pentax with a combination of the 50mm f1.4 lens. I was never satisfied shooting B&W with the E-p3, even post processing the Raw files. So I kept the beautiful E-p3 equipped with a 45mm f1.8 for occasional portraits and family photography and my film camera for more important projects.

Now that I want to upgrade the most logic choice would be the E-p5. I am used to the SCP, super fast controls and of course, I like its aesthetic also one feature I am interested in is the Steady cam-like stabilization for shooting videos.

But I am asking myself the question, should I change format. I would like to try out a digital camera that shoot film like black and white to be able use it more often than my film camera. So I am looking for at the Fuji Xe-1/2, the Sigma DP3 or even the Fuji X20 for all around camera..

I prefer a camera with an electronic view finder. When I used the E-p3 i had the VF-2 but ended up not using it much. I like the idea of compactness.

What do you think of the Fujis? Or the Sigma? I found the Fuji lenses to be a little expensive. I would love to have a portrait lens or a standard lens.

Thank you for your time and I will greatly accept your advice.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Taking everything you said into account, I think you should get the E-M5 or E-M10. They give you the stabilization for videos, the Oly menus and controls you like, and a better sensor than your E-P3. The Sigma is slow in every sense, and the Fuji X20 sensor is not going to give you more satisfying black and white than your E-P3 RAW files do. The Fuji camera is not stabilized for video when you use any of the fast primes.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I upgraded from E-P3 to E-P5 and the improved sensor is really a major change. If you want a built-in viewfinder I agree a used E-M5 or an E-M10 might be better for your needs. I don't know much about the Fujis other than they tend to be more expensive and most lenses are larger then m4/3 equivalents. Lots of people seem to like them though.

Have you also considered the Panasonic GX7? More compact with built-in VF and it does have some stabilization (not sure if it works in video mode).

How much time are you willing to spend post-processing as opposed to relying on in-camera b&w? The Nik/Google Silver Efex Pro 2 plugin does excellent work on digital color to b&w conversions.
  4. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Thank you very much for your replies. I am considering investing more time for post-processing with the software you mention above (I usually use Photoshop RAW and sometimes Lightroom).

I am intrigued about the X-Trans as well as Sigma 3 sensor technology.

I grew to love the Pen cameras but at first I was wanted a GF1 to replace the LC5 but it was to expensive so I bough the E-pl1.

Thought the video of the GF7 is wonderful the stabilization won't work in video mode.

I am leaning more for a E-p5/E-M5!
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    The X-Tans is nice and I tried the X-M1 for about a week.

I had an E-PM1 and upgraded to the Panasonic GX1 for more manual control. While I like many of the things about the GX1 there were also to many things I didn't like about it. So I decided to try the Fuji. While the images ARE nice, I found it slow (AF and general handling) and not as intuitive as I found my original E-PM1. But I got a good deal on the kit so I was able to sell it easily enough. Now I have the E-P5.:cloud-9-039:

Love the way it handles, love the SCP.. And there is a big difference in the sensor from your E-P3. Really nice.

As for the E-P5 versus E-M10? I also got an E-M10 for a family member and I was able to play with it for a couple of weeks. While I'm sure either would have served my needs I also prefer the compactness of the E-P5. The viewfinder sticks out from the back of the body adding thickness as well as the height. And now since E-P5s are selling new on eBay in the $550 range for the body..... :2thumbs: If they were still selling at $999 I'd probably have the E-M10 and be happy. I honestly think they both have advantages and that it's hard to go wrong with either.
  6. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I agree with Amin... The E-M5 is an amazing game-changing LITTLE camera that truly packs professional quality and useful features. The 5 axis IBIS is reason enough to grab one. Once you start using its great EVF, you'll wonder how you ever were able to shoot without it!

As for your experience trying to get believable B/W out of digital files -- I whole heartedly agree & I never was able to feel satisfied with the results I was able to get. That is until I started experimenting with the NIK collection of Photoshop plugins. Their Silver EFEX PRO2 software is truly amazing and once you figure out the simple learning curve necessary to get started, you won't look back.

BTW, I too started off my career with a Pentax K-1000, then evolved to an MX. Even though I eventually switched to Nikon, the MX remains one of my favorite SLRs EVER!

Good luck with your journey. Let us know what you end up with!
  7. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    I favor the E-Pn camera style, as I rarely use a viewfinder. I liked my E-P3 very much, but I upgraded to E-PM2 for the sensor and I do think the newer camera is more capable in its dynamic range. When E-P5 prices come down, I'd like to upgrade to that camera.

For better black and white, I think you should explore software for post-processing your raw files. A color raw file allows you to try different filter simulations in post, and also to vary contrast, brightness, and the response curve for your b&w image. Nik and Topaz have great plug-ins for b&w conversion. Each raw developer has its own b&w conversion, some more capable than others. There are also nice film emulations if you want the look of Tri-X or Ilford or whatever.

Sigma cameras can capture beautiful images, but they are slow and they do fix you at a single focal length. I rarely use mine, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

A full-frame sensor may be right for you if you want shallower depth of field and don't mind the extra size, weight, and price. I feel I get enough dof control with m4/3 and fast lenses.
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    If you really like your e-P3 but want a EVF and don't use the add-on,
    then surely the E-M10 would be the camera of choice.
  9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I agree. I came from an E-P1. The E-M10 has nicer controls, a built in finder and a much better chimp screen. All in a package that's smaller than a E-P3 with a VF-2. I had an E-M5 for a while too but actually slightly prefer the E-M10 in use.
  10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Why those two cameras? You say that you want a viewfinder, and that you never really used the VF-2 on your E-P3, yet you say you're considering an E-P5. The E-P5 has no built-in EVF, so you'll need to purchase the VF-4 (even larger than the VF-2) if you want to use an EVF.

And unless you're talking about purchasing a used E-M5, it really makes no sense to get one over an E-M10. The IBIS on the E-M10 has been proven to be very effective, so the 5-axis on the E-M5 isn't a huge step up over the 3-axis on the E-M10. You musn't care about the weather sealing of the E-M5 either, since the 45mm lens isn't weather sealed. Other than those two differences, the E-M10 is better in every way. Looking at new body-only prices, the E-M10 is $300 cheaper. That's money that can be put towards another lens like a 25mm or 17mm, to give you a better walk-around lens.
  11. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    To RichardB and Wildwildwes: Whatever camera I choose, I guess -I will- take more time post processing with the software you are mentioning.

To MarkB and ijm5012:
    I much prefer a view finder as I had been used to film and video cameras before getting one of the new wave of digital cameras. But with my E-p3 I didn't feel like using it. The external VF-2 is not practical for me. to take out of the pouch and put it back in. I can live with the LCD of the E-p5, because I kind of prefer the aesthetics of the PENs and the E-p5 extra features. I handled an E-M5 and a E-M10 in a store recently and I prefer the E-M5.

Lastly, I like the Olympus cameras. I was just a little nostalgic of my Lumix LC5 and curious about the Fuji's tech.
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I think you're doing it wrong ;
    There's a pouch?
    I guess mine will be in the box it arrived in ...
    My VF-2 stays on my e-P2, unless I'm using it on another body.
  13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I'll just for warn you now, the Fuji cameras are great, for image quality and all that... but I left them because of performance and handling reasons. The micro 43 cameras are better in almost every aspect in those regards.
    Even with the flag ship X-T1, the AF is still lacking in some ways, and the cameras are just show to respond sometimes. Definitely rent or test one before buying.
  14. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    To Ulfric M Douglas: My VF2 came with a pouch attachable to a belt so it stayed attached to the shoulder strap of my camera. I used my camera with a never ready case. If I choose the E-p5/VF4. I will change my configuration and the Viewfinder will always be on.

I am getting convinced not to change systems. I will go soon to a store to look at the E-M5.

Video question:
    Since the video of the E-M5 and E-P5 are basically the same there are little differences. They share the same codec (MPEG-4AVC/H.264) for Full HD. But the E-M5 is like the E-p3 which is 59.94i at recording 30fps output from the sensor while the E-P5 records in 30p and the sensor outputs to 30fps.

Is the E-P5 30p/30fps advantageous for video and outputs more edit friendly files or this detail makes no difference?
  16. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Just to repeat what others have said here: I went from an EPL2 with viewfinder to a refurbished EM10 just a few months ago, and have not regretted it.
  17. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    From another thread:

"Just FYI - The Olympsu OMD EM1 is 1099 body only and the EM5 is $614 body only on Amazon for those that might be interested. My guess is that they are looking to liquidate stock based on the upcoming Olympus announcements at Photokina??"

Great time to buy the EM-5 IMO....
  18. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Follow up to this thread, I finally got my refurbished black E-m5 from Olympus Canada!

I had an E-p5 for a short period but somehow, even being a E-p2/E-p3 user for a couple of years, I sold it right away. I chose the E-m5 over the newer E-m10 because I prefer the design details of the original OM-D and l much prefer its patterned leatherette . The E-m5 looks like a smaller version of my Pentax Mx!

I didn't "really" use the camera yet but it feels very sturdy and sleek in my hands. I know a thread that is going on right now about E-m5 poor build quality. I expect that, put aside the abundance of technology inside the E-m5, there might be build issues like many cameras do. Nevertheless, I never had problems with the Pens and I hope I will never have problems with the OM-D.

The refurbished E-m5 has small dings but overall is in wonderful condition but I have two questions for E-m5 owners:

I noticed a single blue pixel on the LCD and the EVF the same spot. I never had a similar issue with my E-p3 so I don't know what to make of it, should I care?

Secondly, after enabling the famous SCP from the menu, when we press the side button of the EVF. We get the grey version but it is not touch sensitive until we press OK. Is there another option? like the SCP to be really with the touch screen on as soon as we take our eye of the EVF.