1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ungainly Introduction

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by yiddishyak, Jan 29, 2010.

1. yiddishyak

yiddishyak New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2010
    I'm new to this, so probably I'm posting inthe wrong place, but here is the introduction:

I have used the Panasonic "regular" 4/3rds model (L1), which I enjoy and have a G1 on the way, plus a Leica M adaptor. Obviously, this is to be able to use the M lenses on something that I could afford now (who knows what I could ever justify M9 prices????).

Looking forward to reading posts and seeing everyone's work.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome to the forum, yiddishyak! You've posted in the right place :smile:.

Which M lenses are you planning to adapt?

3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Welcome yiddishyak!

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome yiddishyak, you're definitely in the right place... how did you find us?

Cheers

Brian

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    yiddishyak,
    Welcome Home...nuff said

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

And here's another hello and welcome yiddishyak - please let us know when the happy day arrives!

7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    And one more - welcome Yiddishyak, you have joined a great forum and will enjoy the experience.

9. yiddishyak

yiddishyak New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks for the warm Welcome...and more...

Thank you for the welcome! As for M lenses to adapt, well I am considering investing in some Voigtlanders for starters.(Not the M42 or screw mounts?, but the "regular" ? ones...) Perhaps the 15mm, f4? Or the 21mm? Of course, as these things are quite pricey, I shall have to consider carefully and make my first purchase carefully. Suggestions anyone?

I also don't quite understand why the maximum aperture on a lens (say 1.4) would be decreased (say to 2.8 or whatever the next stop is) when using a mount adapter. I can understand a decrease when one is using say a 2X lens attachment, but not something like an adapter that doesn't have any glass in it. Or, I could simply have misread stuff.

Currently on the G1 I'm using the Panasonic adapter to use "regular" 4/3rds lenses on the body, and I must say that the adapter works very well, particularly with the Leica Vario-Elmar 3.8-5.6 (but not so well with the 2.8 lens for the L1). The Olympus 40-150 also mounts and autofocuses quickly with no problems.

In the meantime, I have purchased an OM f1.4 50mm (plus a non-Olympus adapter). And now for the punch line: I was able to get such a deal on the G1 on Ebay...because the only menu loaded on the camera is in Japanese...I have in the meantime downloaded the manual in English from Panasonic's website. I have also hoped that I could find firmware that would give me the menus in English. But either I don't know where to look (or exactly what I am looking for), or perhaps my IQ dropped since purchasing this camera. At any rate, I should think that it would be a simple process of downloading the appropriate firmware, loading it onto an SD card and then popping it into the camera.

I shall give the Panasonic website another look, but mhy first perusal was disappointing. (I could find firmware for lenses all day long.) So anyway, suggestions? Help? (Learn Japanese?)

Cheers to all...

10. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    yiddishyak, glad to see you here at my favorite place!:biggrin:

11. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Hey Yiddi....a hearty welcome.

Pete

12. Enrique

Enrique Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    spain
    Wellcome yiddishyak to this forum:smile:

13. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    m9 ? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    its for eliteist schmucks [ wish i was one sometimes .lol]

welcome brother,this is a great friendly forum and im sure you will enjoy participating in it

14. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    as far as i know you dont lose speed in a lens but dof is changed in a way that you will lose the" bokeh" factor by a stop ............. i think

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hullo, like yourself I joined just before my G1 arrived ...

16. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    WEEEEELLLLCOOOOOMEEEE!

17. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome here !