1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Unfortunate incident with my E-P2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rssarma, Apr 21, 2010.

1. rssarma

rssarma Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    NYC
    A couple of days back, I was carrying my E-P2 on my right shoulder, as always, with the lens turned in, except this time I was carrying it under my jacket as it was drizzling. I reach my office and take off my jacket and to my horror the VF-2 is GONE! I scrambled all over Manhattan trying to retrace my steps and find the viewfinder, but in vain, it was gone!

Needless to say I was very, very disappointed as I had just bought the Pana 20mm lens and hadn't even begun using it. Then yesterday, I started having another unusual problem with the camera itself, every 2nd or 3rd frame was dark or terribly underexposed. I tried a few things but no avail, even resetting the camera didn't help; something had gone wrong.

The only saving grace in all of this was that the original seller agreed to take the camera back, minus of course a deduction for the VF-2. So overall I didn't lose much money, but the whole experience has just left me disappointed as I was hoping to carry my kit to Peru (leaving this Saturday) and now I can't. Instead I'll be lugging the E-30.

I sincerely think that the VF accessories need to have better locking mechanisms, the least they could do was provide a lock nut like a flash!

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that was really bad luck and I am so sorry!

I am, however, very impressed that the seller refunded you your money.

Have a good and safe trip, and I hope you'll let us know which camera you decide upon for your future.

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Sorry to hear that Raj, I've had a near miss myself - you're right... the EVF could do with a locking mechanism.

Cheers

Brian

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    yes it needs one badly

5. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I totally agree that the VF-2 should have had a locking switch, much like those used on the Nikon SB-900 flash. That would have taken care of the matter. Oh well. I know I'm so anal I probably won't have any issues like that as I would be putting it in a water resistant bag before I'd put it under my coat. But oh well. I'm not a risk taker, never have been and most likely won't ever be. Heck even my water resistant D700 has never seen a water droplet. I just couldn't bring myself to allow it :tongue:

6. Brad Ross

Brad Ross Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2010
    Westfield, NJ
    that sucks, Raj

Raj

if I had read this message earlier,, I could have gone into NYC today and lend you the EP-2 and view finder for a week or so,,, since I have no special plans to use it for the next week or so, I am ,still using the regular 4/3 for most of my shots around here, just experimenting with Ep-2,,

so when are you leaving on Saturday, because I am coming in to see a play at the Roundabout Theater Co, on that day,

Brad

7. rssarma

rssarma Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    NYC
    Brad, sorry to have missed your message completely!

BTW, I've re-ordered a new kit that I found at a good price, so I'm back in the game :)

8. BBW

Great news, Raj!

9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I'll look at mine, maybe a strip of copper tape on the upper part of the shoe would help secure it?

It seems very secure on mine. I wonder if the shoe is getting bent or warped on some of these?

Thanks for the warning: I will keep an eye on mine. That EVF-2 is amazing.

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I now carry the VF in its little pouch attached to the camera strap after reading your story and finding the VF has a habit of detaching when putting the E-P2 in or out of my camera bag.

11. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    I can concur with all these posts - I've just returned from a week in France, loving the E-P2 - BUT twice the VF fell off - I was carrying the camera using the "Y-Strap" - both times, fortunately I heard it hit the ground (remarkably robust these Olympus devices!!), so finally taking heed I took it off until needed - but that really defeats the object if you have to stop, get the VF out of its bag and attach before taking a picture.

And - to cap it all (or in reality NOT to cap it now) - the cover for the hotshoe also fell off somewhere and I've lost that completely

So - E-P2 - 99.99 marks out of 100 - just a little disappointment over the viewfinder/hotshoe combination

12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I put a piece of screen protector on the bottom of the evf.
    It's now a tight fit and won't slide off.

• Like Like x 1
  13. simonclivehughes

simonclivehughes Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2010
    Brian,

Unless I'm misunderstanding where the copper tape is going, I'd be worried about shorting out the flash contacts. Even if you put it on the outer-upper edges, I've seen instances where the tape can get pushed out. (I have done this with electrical tape for optical VFs.)

I like Shooter's idea of putting some non-conductive screen protector over the bottom of the EVF itself.

Cheers,

14. rssarma

rssarma Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    NYC
    Aren't those things thick though?? This would make the fit very snug indeed, but I'm afraid I might bend something. Do you have any images to illustrate your setup? I'd love to take a look.

15. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

VF2 problem

My finder has an excellent and seemingly secure fit - but I would hate to lose it . I just tried putting an elastic band round the back of it (just below the button) and the other end round the lens. Looks awful but it's just for putting in and taking out of the bag and carrying under a coat. Another possibility that occurs to me is to use a lens cap retainer (the ones with the adhesive button). Streetshooter's idea sounds fine if you NEVER take the finder off - but I would worry that wedging a piece of screen protector - or whatever - would slowly make the fit looser.

• Like Like x 1
  16. simonclivehughes

simonclivehughes Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2010
    I find that the finders on both my E-PL1 and my GF1 are too loose. I also find the Oly VF-2's hinge to have too loose a detent. When I put it up to my eye (glasses), it rotates up and back way too easily... very annoying.

Cheers,

17. re-note

re-note Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Bremen -Germany
    Have a look at thread: EVF - disappointment

There is a photo there that might interest you.

VF-2 has been treated by me to behave decently and not slide off or rotate.

Olympus Hamburg - Germany was adamant that this never happened to any customer before I complained.

At least I am no longer alone. :biggrin:

Like to hear from you.

regards

re-note www.re-note.de

18. traveler_101

traveler_101 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I am a little surprised that people wish to find a way to fasten the finder permanently to the camera! Doesn't that cancel out the Pen's "form factor#? I thought the idea was to use the EVF on those occasions when conditions call for it.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Raj. I can only imagine how you felt when you discovered that the EVF was missing. If it had been me I would have practically panicked.

19. BBW

traveler, I know what you mean regarding the "would have panicked", I certainly would have been more than upset! I would have been furious.

I feel badly for those who have had problems with their view finders not fitting, thankfully I have never had this issue on either my E-P2 nor with my E-PL1. I wonder if there was some kind of quality control issue going on.

As for using the EVF "when conditions call for it" that's pretty much 99% of the time for me - must be my eyesight and need for progressive lenses because I almost always use the viewfinder.

20. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've never had a problem with the GF1 viewfinder. It fits really snugly and I have it on most of the time swinging around over my shoulder. It might be due to that fact - I don't take it on and off, thus loosening any friction grip. I hardly think that was the intention of the designers though.

• Like Like x 1