Unforgettable trip to Kauai (12 pictures)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by maritan, Jun 19, 2015.

1. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Questions (technical and otherwise), comments and critiques very welcome.

My wife and I after being married for almost two years finally found the time and funds to go to Kauai on our honeymoon. We stayed on this fantastic island for almost 8 days and enjoyed every minute of it. There's something for everyone. Road trips? Check. Laze around on the beach? Check. Surf? Hike? Walk? Check, check and check.

This is a great place to recharge and refresh your perspective on life. It helped me teach myself to slow down a touch and enjoy the simpler things in life.

While doing all this, in the back of our head, we knew we'd have to get back to the reality of the rat race and we did our best to capture the magic and grandeur of the various scenes we were lucky to witness. Here's a small sampling from each day that will hopefully give you the feeling that you were there with us witnessing the majesty of this island.

All pictures clickable for full size. All pictures taken with E-M1. O60mm used on lizard pictures, 12-40 pro for everything else.

April 30:
    18757717979_177ee81a4d_b.
    From under the Waimea Pier

May 1:
    18917697976_b5b8ace401_b.
    Waimea Canyon Waterfall

May 2:
    18321404924_6cd7e0cf6f_b.
    Nuclear sunrise

18321450184_e88690344d_b.
    Kilauea Lighthouse

18946889591_e9a1387572_b.
    Sunset looking away from Kilauea Lighthouse

May 3:
    18946943411_12dec0678f_b.
    Hanalei Princeville Taro Fields Lookout

May 4:
    18757846749_b8d5c42573_b.
    Chopper Ride-7: Eye in the Sky looking at the Napali Coast

18756359080_658345669a_b. Chopper Ride-8: Closer look at those magnificent ridges

May 5:
    18756304900_fe4ed79992_b.
    Brown Lizard

18323335463_973b316b5a_b.
    Green lizard shedding skin

May 6:
    18321441144_8f9766c409_b.
    Limahuli-2

18757881709_1a44180dc2_b.
    Ke'e Beach Sunset V2

May 7: No picture to add to this post.

Full album (36 pictures) on Flickr if anyone is so inclined: https://flic.kr/s/aHskeuJJfF

• Like Like x 28
    • Winner Winner x 13
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Great set of photos and obviously must have been a great honeymoon!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Excellent set. I love the under the pier shot as well as the lizard shots.

4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Print them (large) and hang them!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Gorgeous shots. The Waimea Pier and Na Pali shots especially. Unfortunately, the lizards are non-native alien species. We have a lot of non-native introductions, including many of us. Just glad to be here. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Spectacular views! Love the Napali & the ridges shots. Wished had done the chopper ride when I was there in 2002. Very well captured and thank you for sharing.

7. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    So, Walter, we took a boat ride out to Ni'ihau that was organized by Holoholo charters. My wife and I enjoyed what we could in between our bouts of mild to severe seasickness.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Much appreciated. It's good to now that my capturing and processing from RAW to finished product resonates with you fine folks.

8. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    Lovely images... really like the way you've post processed the shots

9. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Clearly my favorite island, and you did a great job capturing its beauty.

Stefan

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Beautiful colours, especially love the greens and blues of the Taro fields and Napali.

11. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I've never been to Hawaii nor have I ever had an urge to go in the past. These images have changed my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  12. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    @tyrphoto@tyrphoto - I'm glad I changed your mind. Kauai is absolutely wonderful. The people are very friendly and the place is just gorgeous. Whatever you want to do (outside a big city experience), you can probably do on this island.

Thanks to all that have responded with your comments so far. Truly appreciated.

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Sorry about the seasickness. The channel between Kaua'i and Ni'ihau can be quite rough. Any of the inter island channels are. Hope you enjoyed the views when you got there! :)
    Hope you make it some day, tyrphoto. There are many beautiful things to see and photograph. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Incredible photos, Ash! My wife and I have been talking for years about going to Hawaii. We're tentatively planning for next summer. Can't wait!

• Like Like x 1
  15. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Don't be tentative. Make it happen. You will not regret it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Nice, colorful photo's. Like someone said before, print them big and hang them on your walls. Must be great to look at . . .

17. pasisti

pasisti Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Beautiful work indeed! I looked over the album, very nice!

What was it like to handle a camera in the helicopter? Was this your first time? I've been thinking of going on a hot air balloon trip and I'm basically terrified that the camera would slip etc! I mean, it has never slipped out of my hand before but still..

Could I ask about your PP? To me, all your pictures look naturally colorful! In other words, to my eyes they have just the perfect amount of 'pop' without making them seem unnatural or over-edited. And also, how did you get the thunder captured? When it's thundering here, the strikes are so long apart that I haven't even tried to capture them because I feel like I should just be shooting on burst for 5 minutes to get anything..

• Like Like x 1
  18. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Thank you very much.

I too was concerned about the camera slipping from my hands and falling off into the never-never. Especially since we went on a ride in a windowless helicopter. What I did was put a long-ish strap on the camera which I put around my neck. I also made sure I never stuck the camera out of the helicopter. This particular model was zipping around at upwards of 160kph and had no windows. So if you stuck something out of the opening, you were at a high risk of having it snatched right out of your hand.

Thank you again for the compliment. Is there a specific question regarding the post processing? I used Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS5. What you see is an amalgamation of various different techniques that I've learnt over my short photography career. I chose bits and pieces from various different people's tutorials/ quick tip videos, reading blogs/ websites.

If you have a specific question, please do ask - either here or via PM.

And, it helps if your significant other is willing to critique your choices in an unbiased fashion. Sometimes, you go down a certain path and lose track of your specific aesthetic. My wife's feedback made me restart editing on more than one picture, and I thanked her for that even though it was a lot of work down the drain.

The lightning picture that you're talking about was taken in Munich. And that picture had some good conditions going. There were lightning strikes every 30 seconds or so probably - quite frequent. I used the Live Composite feature available on Olympus cameras. Once I figured out a base exposure that would work for lightning strikes (so they wouldn't blow out), I compiled multiple 2-3 minute shots. If you don't have Live Composite, you have to run your camera continuously with 4 second exposures (as an example since I recall using that for the conditions in Munich) till you feel you've captured enough strikes to combine in PP.

19. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    "Vacay in Kuai, just you n' I" - this look like a fantastic place!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Fantastic pictures and worth the wait I would say. Glad you had a great time.