Unforeseen downside of mirrorless

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Blotzphoto, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Lou Doench
    Back when I was a Pentax shooter, and I was changing lenses, and my 4 year old looked at the inside of the camera, reached over and poked his sticky little finger into the camera he would have only touched the mirror mechanism.

With the OMD, instead he left a sticky little smudge on my sensor...:mad:

I guess a trip to Olympus Repairs is in order.
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I do sympathize, I cringed when I read that. :eek:
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Technically, didn't he leave it on the AA filter? :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, I would consider this an upside. The mirror mechanism is much more delicate and easy to displace than doing any damage to the low-pass filter over the sensor. You're much safer this way. All you need to do is clean your sensor. You could have had much more intricate or costly repairs if this had been a DSLR and your little one had been poking the mirror.
  7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Just occurred to me, but does this mean that the E-M1 and other mirrorless bodies without AA filters could be a bigger problem?
  8. Peter_Hartland

Peter_Hartland New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Andover Hampsshire UK
    Peter Hartland
    You can clean the sensor quite easily, no different to the oil splashes you get on normal DSLRS, both Canon & Nikon are famed for it , especially a new camera. You can tell an oil smudge from dirt by the fact dirt has a sharp edge on your image where as oil has a graduated edge. To do it (& I have) use the normal wet sensor cleaner used on typical DSLR ie see this example http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/Sensor_Cleaning_Introduction.php. Should save you some money.
  9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
  10. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    Does the EM-5 have the virtual dust removal feature that is in the Canon DSLRs?
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    He's four. Explain the sensor (and lack of mirror) and why he mustn't put his fingers inside the camera.
    My boy is four too, he now doesn't touch the lenses, he won't touch the sensor.
    He know what the sensor is.
    He uses his e-410 in Auto for stills, pops the flash if needs be, and the G3 for video.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Lou Doench
    He knew about not touching the lens ;). All three of my kids can use the Pen camera's. He's just an impulsive little bugger.
  13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    No need AFAIK. Sensors in Olympus camera's shake like a wet hound dog every startup and all the dust just fly off.
  14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Why not just take it to a local shop to have the sensor cleaned, or just doing it yourself with a self-cleaning kit? Cleaning a sensor is one rung up on the DIY rung from installing a neck strap or changing a battery. Sending it back to Olympus is like sending your car back to the manufacturing plant because the tires are worn; there are better ways to go about this.

No, because it isn't as simple as just removing the AA filter. There still needs to be a stack of glass in front of the sensor with certain optical properties; this stack just doesn't have any anti-aliasing properties.
  15. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Lou Doench
    I'd hate to violate the warranty ;(
  16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    It was my understanding from reading Thon Hogan's review of the OM-D E-M5 that cleaning the sensor was not recommended by Olympus:

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/olympus-camera-reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m5-review.html .

• Like Like x 1
  17. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The Sensor on the OM-D is floating unlike other sensors because of the 5 axis stabilisation
    It is held in place only by some sort of electromagnets or such like
    As such it is apparently very easy to damage the sensor or the system which holds it in place
    Hence the recommendation by Olympus to return it to a service centre for sensor cleaning where they apparently have special equipment to secure the sensor for cleaning and why the OP does not wish o doit themselves and/ or risk their Warranty over by doing so
    OM-D owners beware !
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Some people should never clean their sensors. They don't have the finesse, so I can understand how a camera maker can make a blanket statement making this operation a no-no.

However, it's not very hard to do if you're reasonably good with hands on stuff. Oly sensors stay pretty clean, but my E510 and PEN's have needed occasional cleaning so I acquired the experience that allowed me to clean my EM5 once.

The sensor assembly can move, but that's a risk I took. It moves when the power is off and the camera is shaken too. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a diagnostic mode that immobilizes the sensor for factory cleaning.

Not going to recommend that others clean the EM5 sensor, but for me, its not a big deal. If a little kid can put a finger on it and it survives ,,,,
  19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    +1. Poking the mirror in a DSLR is almost guaranteed to knock it out of alignment, which will screw up your AF accuracy.

OTOH, the sensor in the OM-D is free floating, so it's possible that poking it could cause damage to the IBIS mechanism. Oly recommends against cleaning the sensor oneself for just that reason.

Even sensors with AA filters have UV filters in front of the sensor itself. In fact, I think the UV filter on the OM-D is probably in front of the AA filter, so that's probably what got clobbered.

Except that Olympus recommends against owners cleaning the sensor themselves, as I mentioned above. Lot's of people have done so, without problem, but there is apparently a greater level of risk.

In fact, Olympus pioneered this dust removal feature, and it works better than Canon's (I've owned both).
  20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    As I'm sure you now realize, the real answer here is not to set the camera down with the lens opening exposed....
    • Like Like x 1