unexpected wildlife photography opportunity (missed)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by krugorg, Jul 30, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    We did a little country road driving (as opposed to sitting on the interstate in traffic/construction) on the way home from the north shore of Lake Superior last night. I stopped at a couple points to take some photos, including, this old church that I have captured before.

While I was in the process of getting a shot of the church, two fawns popped out from the woods. We were definitely in heavily-populated deer (and hunting cabin) country, and you see plenty along the road, but this is as close as we have been to any outside of a zoo. :biggrin: My wife and I were thinking that there mother could have been killed on the road and that someone nearby could be feeding them.

They actually got closer than the pics would indicate (45mm), but I was futzing around trying to change lenses. Once they figured out that my camera bag contained no grub, they split for the woods. Sigh, I have a lot to learn on things-that-move and/or wildlife photography! :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  2. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    same thing happened to me last week. we went to bushy park and was shooting deer with the panny 45-200...

i didn't realise how friendly they were until one got so close within touching distance whilst i was sitting on the grass clicking away!! i really regretted leaving the panny 20/1.7 in the bag inside the car!!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Yes, it's bad when we lost opportunities like that. It happens to me a lot with birds, When I'm with the tele zoom, I never find rare birds, but it's just going out with the pancake, and I'm find hawks, owls, and other more difficult to photograph. And worse, when one have the lens in the bag, and the bird just waits for you to exchange lenses and then fly away...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1