1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

unexpected solution

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Mar 6, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been using my EPL-1 and various lenses in producing digital walking tours for a local wilderness area. Visitors to the park can download the tour to their music player or phone and they can have it with them while they walk the trails. It has closeups of birds (that most folks likely will never see because they are tiny high up in the trees and brown) recording of calls and in a few sections some images of things of interest that cannot approach easily or at all due to restrictions or terrain. It was the core project of my Masters and the folks I did it for were pleased so I am doing 4 more for them.

I used the EPL-1 to capture video and stills (as well as a few P&S cameras I have and using creative commons and public domain images as well). Of the different equipment I've used the EPL-1 has been great because it is easy trek around with, image quality is terrific and the video much better than I expected it would be. I'm sure any of the other Pen models or Panasonic equivalents would also work well.

On my next project I need to do some closeups and macros (insects and flora) and I started looking for a decent solution. The 14-42 kit lens is pretty good but I needed to get closer. I wanted AF as what I am doing is not true macro I just need to get close and sometimes stuff is in a place where manual focus might not be feasible (like me hanging off a branch upside down). I started looking at the Olympus FT 35 and 50 macros then I realized that for $200+ I might be able to go another way and get some more flexibility.

I picked up a used Panasonic LX3 (I'd used one a few times so I know roughly what to expect). It gives me AF, decent closeup, good image quality, very good video and AF. I even get WA at 24mm that my collection of lenses doesn't give me. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hard to beat a good compact for closeups, the DOF is a huge advantage!

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you have the 40-150 or 45-200, a canon 500D close lens would give you almost 1:1 macro with AF and metering. And it is 65 dollar for the 58mm 60 for the 52mm

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a great idea. I think the compact will still work better for tight spots but that might be a great addition as I have the 40-150.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Absolutely! You're going to love what that little LX3 will do for you!

I just picked up an LX5 and I'm amazed at the ease of making awesome close-ups with the camera. With the 24mm equiv. f/2.0 lens you get some great shallow DOF images as well (when you're really close to the subject). It's now my go-to camera for quick and easy close-ups!

P1000334.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    And if you want super macro and very thin dof for tripod the canon 250D gives more the 1:1 macro. But very very hard to work with hand held as you need to be at f16 or better to control the dof.

Here are some of my close up handheld shots with the 45-200 and 500D close up lens. Could have getting in tighter, but would have needed a tripod.

Some Close up's from Chiang Mai, Thailand - Steve's Digicams Forums

7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I used to have the 35/3.5 FT lens (sold it). It was great in good light. For the $ that a decent used one would cost however the used LX3 gives me a bit more tools to work with. For the end product I am creating the quality of the LX3 will be more than enough.

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I got mine on ebay for 110 dollars, it is not to expensive when they pop up ;)

It is a good little lens, and the 70 dollars I paid for the panny adapter made the setup a steal vs the pl 45mm. I just could not see spending that kind of money on a short macro lens.

I like that lx3, it a good little camera.

10. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I agree.. for a great many close-up situations, you just can't beat the LX3/LX5 and the like. They're ideal: very quick and easy to use, with outstanding results.

11. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    And here's my XZ-1 with a photo of a Windows keyboard. Gotta represent the other camps! :biggrin:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3462&stc=1&d=1299476765.

Attached Files:

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Nice c/u, mclaren. Good to see something out of that XZ-1.

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The XZ1 looks REALLY interesting. Perhaps when the wallet feels fuller :eek: