Undoing aspect ratio post shooting with OMD EM5

roamingralph

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Ralph
Hello everyone I was looking through my old photos today and noticed a couple had potential for re editing. Only thing is they were all shot in 16:9 ratio because for some reason I did that often in my younger days :/ I can see the that thumbnail/preview of the photo is in 4:3 and contains more of the scene so my question is: is there a way to undo the 16:9 ration post shooting in order to gain more information?

Cheers,
Ralph

barry

Super Moderator
Hi, some RAW editors, such as RawTherapee, will ignore how it was shot.

If you want to use lightroom, you may have to modify the exif with exiftool... search these forums, it's come up before.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
What file type are they saved in? With jpeg, jpg, png, and some tiff files - the only option you have is to recrop from what is there. Other formats like psd, tiff, or raw files can be changed back to their previous state using an applicable program.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
What file type are they saved in? With jpeg, jpg, png, and some tiff files - the only option you have is to recrop from what is there. Other formats like psd, tiff, or raw files can be changed back to their previous state using an applicable program.

Not sure how that's done with psd and tiff outside of hitting "undo" inside of photoshop, since once the pixels are deleted in those formats, they're gone, not to be recovered again (especially as the crop tool has the delete cropped pixels turned on by default).

In regards to out of the E-M5, the raw format is the only format you can recover the "Raw" data from, otherwise the surrounding pixels that would have been there in 4:3 are gone.

Latest threads

Top Bottom