1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Underwater GF2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Rambutan2000, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Rambutan2000

Rambutan2000 New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Hi! I just got myself a cheap GF2 body and a cheap waterproof case for it and I'll be taking it snorkeling soon. Does anyone have any strobe recommendations?

TNKS!

R

2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Now you've done it! My mouth is watering and im drooling. I really miss fresh, juicy rambutans!

3. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    INON make excellent units ... and get a long arm so u can reposition the flash and avoid 'cornflake' in the water .. It has an in-built focus light with a red filter which is handy too ... and red won't scare the fish like a dive torch.

4. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Would strobes be required for snorkelling? With snorkelling, you can't go too deep so the loss of light wouldn't be as much as when diving.

5. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    Easy to drop 5m chasing some critter under a ledge ...
    You will have limited success unless you 'skin dive' ..
    If your just floating topside on a bright sunny day, yes the light is terrific but I have found that on the surface you cannot steady a camera and maintain focus in even the slightest chop. Need to go down a bit usually and the light conditions change dramatically.

6. DevilDiver

DevilDiver Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Corinth, Texas USA
    Shawn Rener
    Congratulations on your new investment!

As others have posted I would not believe that a strobe would be your best investment for snorkeling, I would suggest looking into a good wide angle lens and port (depending on your housing) and working with ambient light at shallow depths.

If you can provide some more details on your setup and what kind of conditions you plan to be snorkeling in I may be able to suggest a few techniques.