Understanding focus modes on G6

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jonlong, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I generally just use AFS with my G6, but wanted to make sure I understood the other focus modes. AFS is the only single focus mode, and has various focus options such as point point, area, etc... AFC and AFF are both continuous focus modes but C prefers a subject moving in a fixed direction and F is more suitable when the subject may make more erratic movements.

Where I'm a little confused is what af tracking and face tracking do. AF tracking seems to let you pick a subject and it will follow it. Do the other continuous modes not track a subject but only maintain focus in the designated focus area? For example, if you are tracking a subject in the center of the frame (person walking toward you), then AFC would work. But if the person was walking diagonally and out of the center of the frame, then AFC would not track? If you select a continuous focus mode and af tracking option, which takes priority? Is face tracking just a subset of af tracking that is more effective at locking onto a face or multiple faces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    On my aging G2 AF Tracking locks onto a subject with a half press of the shutter release and then the focus point will follow it around as it moves. AFC just continuously attempt to lock onto whatever it would in the similar AFS. If I have single point set it will keep trying to focus on that point no matter what's in the frame. With faces it just keeps looking for faces and focusing on them. I don't really have any idea what AFC does with multi-point af selected.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

3. onlyablur

onlyablur Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2012
    Hungary
    Thanks for asking the question as I have exactly the same! Have you found the answers yet? I'm still trying to figure it out... would be great if you could share! Cheers