1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ummm... The new Oly commercials aren't doin' it for me

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, May 24, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Me either. Saw one yesterday on TV. Was like...huh?

Dj

3. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Kind of depends on the particular models they are trying to sell.
    I remember the ones for the EP-1 with Kevin Spacey. Horrible. Can't they hire some popular clods like Ashton Kutcher or that young pop singer to flog them?

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
  5. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    I liked them, thought they were funny.
    I think the target market for these ads is the casual photographer.

6. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Down Memory Lane

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFmjjZZ_j6Q]Cheryl Tiegs for Olympus 1980 TV commercial - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree, just not enough information - especially when you consider hard it is to find a store in the US that carries Olympus. If you go to the big chain stores and ask they look at you like you're crazy. I suppose folks could go on line - but how many will after watching these commercials? :confused:

8. The E-M5 is a Pen now?

9. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    I noticed that - looks like there may be confusion within Olympus on the target market for the OMD.

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    These ads are not for me. In the office/party ad why does it have to go all sexual? It just turns out really creepy, IMHO.

The stuntman ad just flummoxes me altogether. It seems that they're selling the notion that viewing your pictures on the camera's screen is some sort of hyper-real experience. But, that's not the point of the cameras they're advertising at all. From what I know of the product line they don't have particularly fantastic screens (and no one really views/shares their images using their camera's LCD anyway). If they want to show that the camera is capable of performing in all these rough environments, why not actually SHOW THE CAMERA performing in those environments, rather than in a trailer on a set?

All that being said, it's good to see Olympus doing a campaign at all. I'm encouraged that they're at least trying to get their brand out in the public consciousness. I'm not the target for this campaign as I am already aware of the PEN line (and I'm unlikely to see them as I almost never view television ads).

Personally I prefer the sort of "Pro vs. Joe" approach that Panasonic is taking (at least in New Zealand) with their recent online campaign. To me this campaign really drives home the clear selling point of :43:: even an amateur can get professional-level results with these cameras.

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Certainly better than Keven Spacey's "Camera Guy" commercials...first time I saw them I thought he was saying, "camera chow, picture wow"...what does camera chow mean, something to do with Cat Chow or Dog Chow (pet foods).

It was only later that I realized he was using the Itallian word "ciao" meaning "bye".

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the marketing department is OUT TO LUNCH on these 2 ads. Just take the money you spent making these ads and the money you plan on spending to place them and drop i tout of an airplane with the words OLYMPUS on it. MUCH more effective.

I remember people sharing photos on their digital camera 5 years ago...around 2 years ago they had completely stopped. They share them on their phones or their BookFace pages.

I'd totally buy that freezer/action camera though. And I lead a sedentary lifestyle to boot.

13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Some more examples of great Olympus ads:
    billboard2.

olympus-e3-e28093-the-fastest-autofocus.

14. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Olympus is following the long standing trend of trying to be cute, clever, and funny rather than informing the public about the product. It's been going on for years now. I hate it. I don't buy products of any kind simply because they have a funny commercial. Maybe many people do. And maybe that's what's wrong with most products today. Companies worry more about cute-a** marketing than making a good product.

15. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    What annoys me about the commercial is that there is NOTHING in the commercial that distinguishes the PEN series from a normal P&S. The commercial might as well as been about the Olympus XZ1.

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Anyone know what they were getting at with the "100% Digital" stamp? Was Canon at some point selling a hybrid digital/film camera?

I don't quite get what this (misogynistic) image has to do with the camera being advertised. If this is an examples of a "great" ad, then I'd hate to see the rejects.

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, they mean that the Canons are using lenses designed for film. It's a stupid argument, not least of which because Canon had more 'designed for digital' lenses than Olympus did when that ad was created (and of course many of the film designs worked great on digital as well).

What's wrong with marketing the Pen as what it is, a camera that's reasonable to have with you all the time and creates great photos in a wide variety of situations?

DH

18. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Exactly.

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nah, that's way too transparent an approach and it could never work. Don't you know that consumers are way to dumb for such a direct approach; you have to use humor to trick them into buying your products.

20. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Yeah, until you get so cute and funny that no one knows what the heck you're selling! :rolleyes: