Ultra-wide panasonic or olympus

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bashar, Mar 20, 2010.

1. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    I am lusting for an ultra-wide lens, olympus will release there 9-18 soon and the Panasonic lens 7-14 looks awesome, other than the price difference, do you think the upcoming olympus lens will be on par with the panasonic?! speculations, speculations?! so far panasonic has better lenses despite olympus long history in the making....

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the panny is a much more robust lens, faster a constant f4 , much wider

the 9-18 oly will have a commendably small size but will have the flimsy build quality of the collapsible oly kit zoom and will be slower at one end of the zoom range by a stop [5.6]

i wanted the 9-18 but the price gouging by olympus has put me off this lens

3. wilson.c

wilson.c Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2010
    I've got the Lumix 7-14 and am quite happy with it, it's a bit pricey though. You can shoot building interiors as well as super wide landscapes with your m4/3 camera. Here's a few test shots from with my GF-1.

Wilson

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Nice pics Wilson C. Last two are Stanley, right?

I love my 7-14 :smile:

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

That first shot really blew me away - what a view!

I'd love to have a fast wide angle. I realize this is a zoom.

Thanks for posting your pictures, Wilson C..

6. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    very nice photos, i am still surprised that olympus has not sent any lens samples to the press for reviewing considering that they will be selling them in 10 days from now!

7. Stillie

Stillie New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2010
    Hi Wilson

I am looking to buy the 7-14 mm lens, do you have any other photos like say landscapes you could post to the forum?
    Thanks
    Alan

8. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Wilson thanks for sharing the photos of Hong Kong - makes me miss HK more now :'(

back to the topic, if you check out DP Reviews review of the 9-18mm Olympus, they say its pretty much on par with the Panasonic lens. So based on that I would go with either lens but consider if the constant f/4 aperture or very slight extra width of the Panasonic lens is important to use and if it is, can it justify the higher price?

Finally from experience, the panasonic lenses have always seemed to be better built than the Olympus ones, which feel abit too plastic for my liking

9. wilson.c

wilson.c Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2010
    Got back from a trip to Eastern Malaysia. I'm a bit disappointed with the performance in a back light situation and causes a lot of flare.

Attached Files:

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    A couple of things I wanted to point out. The constant aperture is nice, but not as much of a necessity for wider focal lengths - the primary point of constant aperture zooms is to work in conjunction with a flash, or to have more available light at all focal lengths to be able to get a sharp photo. With the former, UWA photography doesn't lend itself well to flash (too much of an area for most flashes to expose properly, unless you want to highlight a particular subject within the frame). Having a fast lens for wider angles isn't as necessary either since the general rule for getting a sharp photo is 1/focal length (even less if you have IBIS with an oly camera) - in the case of these lenses you could shoot at 1/15th and 1/20th shutter speeds and expect reasonably sharp photos (give or take based on the photographers ability to keep steady!).

I definitely agree between these two lenses for most the primary factor ends up being the cost; I happened to get the 7-14mm for a good price, but otherwise would have gone with the 9-18mm - for size (though the 7-14 is quite small as well), and filter threads.

Oh one other thing, the difference between 7mm and 9mm is a significant amount - every mm on the wide end accounts for alot of area fitting into the frame. (there are several threads with examples over at dpreview)

11. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    don't think it's fair to call it gouging. sure, it costs more than the oly, but it's a much faster lens.

12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I just got the new 9-18.
    True, it's not the fastest lens out there but it is very compact. It focuses fast and accurate even in very low light. With the IS in the Pens....I don't really care about slow speed/low light issues. Besides, the high ISO makes up for a world of sins.
    The did it with this lens. It's just great and will live on one of my bodies for a long time...

13. Interesting.
    This image was shot directly into the sun (at sunset) with the 9-18 Oly. To me, the flare seems rather well controlled. I should add that I had it on Program mode, and the camera chose f/9 as the aperture.

P5052459.

14. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    arpoador,
    I have to agree with you...very good control...not obnoxious at all...

15. dyao

dyao New to Mu-43

May 17, 2010
    looking at the specs today I noticed that the Oly is half the weight of the Panny...

• Like Like x 1
  16. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The lens does have very good control of flare and certainly better than say the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 which is surpirsing considering the 9-18mm lens has a far more complex element design.

This is about the worst I have managed and I was deliberately testing the lens for flare...

4626189829_ca6411c77f_o.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    it's frustrating that we don't have much choice in wide angle zoom lenses other than these 2, which are comparatively expensive. and i've not begun talking about ultra wide fixed focus lenses. i hope sigma, tamron or tokina would make one soon.

i guess, it must have been either very hard to make 'shrunken' lenses or makers still think that the market is not big enough.

18. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    None of these lenses is cheap, but at least the Olympus is reasonably priced. However, IMHO the 7-14mm, which costs nearly twice as much as the 9-18mm, is rather overpriced (at least in the part of the world where I live).