ultra-wide non fisheye lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by belinski, Aug 26, 2014.

1. belinski

belinski New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2014

Does anyone know of any ultra-wide non fisheye lenses?

As I'm primarily interested in videography, theses lenses would ideally be fully manual, and must have an aperture and a focus ring. Vintage lenses are very welcome!
    Would be nice if the cost would be around £300 or less

Does anyone know of anything that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance!
  2. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
  3. belinski

belinski New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2014
    Rokinon is great, but the trouble with them is that they're quite difficult to get in the UK...
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That Rokinon 10mm is wasted on Micro 4/3, because it's actually an APS-C lens. As a result, it's much bigger and heavier and more costly, than it would need to be if it was optimized for Micro 4/3. Because it's really a 15mm equivalent lens, that only serves as a 20mm equivalent lens on this format. For 10mm (actually, it's 10.5mm) what I would use, and what I DO use, is a wide converter on the Panasonic 14mm lens. The one I use is a Sony VCL-ECU1, but Panasonic also makes one specifically for the 14mm lens, and there is even a dirt cheap one that works, from FujiFilm, that is presently being sold for $12 from Beach/Buydig on ebay.

5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Don't know how well it adapts but voigtlander ultra-wide 12mm helier might be a choice. A bit over budget, and not really all that wide adapted.
  6. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    You're not the first person I've heard say this, but I've never understood... all the major photo stores ship to the UK; do the UK border police have something against photo equipment? The Rokinon 10mm is the only lens that really gives you what you're after right now. They make a faster, cheaper, and reportedly higher quality 12mm f/2 as well.
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
  8. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Yes, I'm wishing for an f2.8 UWA prime too but keep being disappointed. The vignetting on the Rok 10mm even on a smaller 43 sensor is shocking - see the review over at LensTips. There is a possibility Oly will announce a 9mm f2.8 Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  9. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The review at Lenstip was done on a Canon; the results on µ4/3 aren't nearly so bad.
  10. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Widest Rectilinear option I can think of off the top of my head is the 7-14mm from Panasonic.
    Next Widest, and much faster, is the Rokinon 10mm T3.1 (F/2.8) in Nikon mount with Metabones Speedbooster, which becomes a 7.1mm f/2.

There are not really any cheap adapted UWA lens options because 14mm is extremely wide angle on 135 format so there was never much need for wider lenses than that, and really not much call for even that wide. In addition, any lenses that are anywhere close to that wide are now overpriced because they can be adapted with a Speedbooster to become UWA lens for m4/3rds or other mirrorless systems. For instance, I have a Minolta MD speed booster, and the widest rectilinear lens Minolta ever made is the 17mm f/4, which is a 12mm f/2.8 with the speedbooster, but it costs $400 these days.

Sadly there is no easy solution at this time, especially at that price point.
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The 9-18 doesn't do a bad job - if you can live with f4. It's reasonably sharp over most of the frame wide open, but realty needs f8 to get the best out of the corners. It's pretty compact once collapsed too. The 7-14 is slightly better (and wider) bit is larger, heavier and more expensive. I think these are the best rectilinear options in the sub 12mm focal length range.
  12. MassimoFoti

MassimoFoti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    Lugano (Switzerland)
    Oly 7-14 f/2.8 will most likely be available in 2015. I don't expect it to be cheap or small, but most likely it will be very good.

There are rumors of wide, native lenses coming, in my opinion it's just a matter of time and either Oly, Panasonic, or even both, will fill this hole in their lineups with something wider than 12mm, but I don't expect such a lens to be either very fast or cheap.
  13. belinski

belinski New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2014
  14. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    It pee's me off no end that if Sigma can build a 20mm 1.8 for FF for $629 or a 15mm 2.8 THAT TAKES GELATIN FILTERS AT THE REAR OF THE LENS, for $609, I see no reason at all why Oly can't produce similar "equivalent" lenses for m43....
  15. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    There's a samyang 12mm F2 which is slightly faster - all these MFT samyang's seem to be grey-import for the UK at the moment. Not many people have them, but here's a good post here, and a lenstip review here.

Considering your requirement for a manual, UWA fast Cine lens for £300 - the Samyang seems like a logical (& your only) choice. Just make sure the website you buy it from offers UK warranty and is open about if they are sourcing it from abroad.

With loads more money you could look at combining a Sigma 18-35 with a focal reducer! (a popular choice for MFT video).
  16. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I have the Rokinon-branded version of the Samyang 7.5 fisheye and really love it, build quality is pretty solid. The Samyang you are looking at though is not going to be an ultra-wide on m43 but if I'm reading this correctly will instead give you effective 24mm.
  17. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Your choices are pretty limited in terms of ultra-wide non fisheye for MFT. When I mean ultra-wide, it's a focal length equal to or less than 12mm. A lot of people like the SLR Magic 12mm T 1.6 lens. It's a fast cinema lens and produce some of the most unique images. It's designed for Cinema use because of the gear focus ring and the click-less aperture ring which are the things you want for movie making. Retails around $549 US or so. That's your best bet thus far and gives you a 24mm full frame FOV.

Or you can go with the focal reducer and use one of the full frame or APS-C cinema lenses which gives you more options to add filters.

Or you can go with a Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and add a Wide Angle adapter to make a 11mm f/2.5 lens. Add a Cokin or Hoya variable 2 stops to 10 stops ND filter to vary your exposures while manually fixing your aperture to a certain f/stop. That way you can shoot with a fixed shutter speed based on your frame rate, a fixed aperture based on your preferred depth of field and vary the light only through the variable filter. The Panasonic is also the cheapest way and the lens adapter combo are pretty sharp. I have them. I also have a Mitakon Lens Turbo and had used it with a Nikon 10-24mm G lens at 10mm to get the 15mm ultra-wide look.
  18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If 12mm qualifies as ultra-wide and you can live without a manual aperture ring, then the Oly 12/f2 is worth a look too. It has an MF mode, which although still "fly by wire" does work pretty well. It's also pretty small and light and offers EXIF data too.
  19. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The problem then would seem to be that you don't understand that lens design is lens design; it has little to do with the sensor that's going to be behind it. "Equivalency" speaks only to field of view; it has absolutely nothing to do with somehow magically making a 10mm rectilinear lens as easy to design as a 20mm lens. A 10mm lens will always be significantly more difficult to design than a 20mm lens.

Panasonic already makes a 20/1.7 and a 14/2.5 exceeding your Sigma examples for half the money (or less). You'll note that Sigma doesn't make a 10mm or a 7.5mm rectilinear lens... it's just not at all easy.
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's over budget, but the 10mm/2.8 Rokinon with a cheap Chinese focal reducer would be just about the fastest ultrawide combo around.