Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Choice

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SC489, Aug 7, 2014.

1. SC489

SC489 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2014
    I've bought a Lumix GX7 and want to buy an ultra wide angle zoom lens. The obvious choices are:

1. Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6 - about £430 (UK)
    2. Panasonic G 7-14mm f/4.0 - about £820 (UK)

The Olympus lens is significantly cheaper and performs well apart from some issues with chromatic aberration under certain conditions.

What are people's experience of using the Olympus lens in a Lumix body? Are there any significant advantages of using the Panasonic lens considering it is almost twice the price?
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The biggest advantage of the Panasonic lens is that it's significantly wider. The next biggest advantage is that it's somewhat sharper. The third advantage is that it's better built. Only you can determine how important these advantages are to you personally.

That being said, I owned the 7-14mm and sold it because I couldn't justify keeping such an expensive lens for how little I actually used it. What I have done now, is I use a Sony VCL-ECU1 wide converter that I bought for under $100 on my existing 14mm lens, to get a 10.5mm lens. It's quality is pretty good. And I use a Rokinon 7.5 fisheye (either de-fished in post-processing or not, depending on the shot) that I bought for just over $200 when I need much wider. Basically, selling the 7-14mm for slightly more than I paid for it 2nd hand, and replacing it with these two lenses, put nearly $500 back in my pocket.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I had 9-18 for some time and it was my walk-around lens. But then 12-35 came out and became my new everyday lens, so I sold 9-18 and bought 7-14.
    There is big difference between 7mm and 9mm, so I would say go straight to 7-14 if funds are not an issue (you can get used from US for a lot less than UK price).

Btw, there is a rumor that Olympus will come up with 9mm/f1.8 prime lens soon.
  4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I have the Olympus zoom but only used it on Olympus bodies...the Panasonic is sharper according to most tests/reviews I've read, and if you need the 7mm focal length there's no choice. But the Olympus seems to be a good value for an prosumer UWA zoom. Olympus is also developing a Pro-tier 7-14mm I believe.

You might want to check out user Dhart's threads on these 2 lenses, he uses them on both Oly and Pany bodies and has some stunning images from both. I came away concluding that the 9-18mm was sufficient for my needs.

Singing the praises... Zuiko 9-18mm
    Another singing the praises - Pany 7-14mm lens
  5. SC489

SC489 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2014
  6. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    Are you using VCL-ECU1 on a Pana 14/2,5 without any modification? Or did you have to do anything to make it work?
  7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    You have to decide what you want to capture with it. Static subjects lend themselves to panorama stacking, then 9mm is ample. I tried both (albeit it on an E-M5) and stayed with the 9-18: wide enough (for me and my subjects), small, light. Sometimes I take 3 or 4 shots in portrait mode at 9mm and make a panorama; works for me. The 7-14 is a great lens, no doubt about it, but too heavy, too large and too expensive for me.
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I got the 4/3rds version 9-18 for £200 but I already had an adapter.

The GX7 should be fine with any of those lenses, good combination.
  9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    No mods - it just snaps on and off, hanging onto a small plastic ridge on the 14mm f2.5. It's a bit of pure serendipity that it fits quite well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    7mm is a whole lot wider than 9mm. I regularly use the 7-14/4 on my OM-Ds, and have been for two years, with no complaints.