1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ultra-noisy GF2 night video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by adelorenzo, Nov 9, 2011.

1. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I was out last night shooting on my GF2 with a 1.4 lens. With ambient city light, at ISO 160, manual shutter speed my still photos came out wonderful.

Unfortunately, I have learned that the camera takes over the exposure settings when shooting video. It looked like it cranked the ISO up to 64000 judging by the amount of noise.

Anyone have any suggestions to combat this problem? The only thing I can figure out right now is start saving up for a GH2. :frown:

First post here but I have been reading this forum for a while and learning a ton. Thanks to everyone!

2. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    With video the shutter speed[1] cannot be longer than one video frame, typically 1/24th, 1/25th or 1/30th of a second, depending on various things. And for a smooth looking but not too blurry looking movement you would prefer half of that.

So have you considered that since you were shooting at night that the camera had to first open up the aperture, and when that wasn't enough (and it isn't at night), bump up the ISO, because it couldn't lengthen the shutter speed the way it can for still photos.

On some cameras you can set the shutter speed used by the video mode. I can on my GF1.

[1] really the effective shutter speed; the shutter stays open

3. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Thanks for your reply.

I think the problem with my GF2 is that it automatically takes over the aperture, shutter speed, ISO settings when recording videos. I have a manual lens so can control aperture but not the others. (It seems to default to 1/60 shutter speed at 30fps.)

I think you described basically what happened.

In my case, I would rather have under-exposed footage with less noise that what I got, which was very well-lit footage with unacceptable noise. Not an option with this camera though.

I have tried setting a limit on the auto ISO to see if it will respect that and compensate accordingly. Haven't tried it yet though.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I don't have a GF2, so I can't say, but isn't there a dedicated movie mode that is essentially manual and you can set everything yourself?

5. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Unfortunately not... For movies there is only a record button that basically goes into auto exposure mode. The only things you can control are focus and white balance.