1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ultimate wedding kit ? if you shoot weddings share your thoughts :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HappyFish, Apr 14, 2014.

1. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    OK I am loving the E-M1 ver my E-M5 but have not let go my FF gear yet :)

currently I carry a E-M1 and( E-M5 which is my backup)
    E-M1 lens Oly 171.8 panny leica 25 1.4 panny 12-35 2.8 Oly 60 macro and the Oly 751.8
    metz 50 flash Oly Fl-600 which is OK for small getting ready rooms

D600 (I can get ahold of D700 or D4 as my backup to this)
    18-35 lens shot wide on 18 so 3.5 and its sharp :) 35 and 85 prime and SB700 flash

other light gear two cheetah CL-360 a 60 inch softlghter elincrhom small deep octa and stands

a few thoughts of kits
    I used to carry all Canon L glass 6 lens with me and two bodies 3 580ii flashes and some other gear got burnt out on weight :) so did the OMD D600 switch

my goal is a single system in the end
    not giving up on M43 and never will but for work ? who knows my own personal days its all OMD !!!!! and any outdoor day jobs the same

my off camera lightning I am going to change out to all umbrella style setups I think ? like 3 apollo with grids and my soft lighter
    but I love my elinchrom deep octa box !!!! I used to have both the large and small sold the large to much a pain going in and out of doors :)

if I cant nail the dark focus issues and fall back to all DSLR until M4/3 does it for me
    have been thinking two D800 and all primes crop as needed :) carry a 20f/2.8 85f/1.8(lighter than the 1.4) and 135f/2.0
    for flash when the new godox 860 for nikon come out use those carry the Tx in my belt bag for when I want off camera grab one off the other camera and use it with a small shoot through umbrella the folding kind small 24 inch one have the coordinator or brides maid hold it for me or I can one hand out :)
    could be a fun kit for weddings no changing cards no changing batteries one extra lens to carry and a small folding umbrella that is tiny and that is about it

E-M1 kit
    two E-M1
    waiting on the Oly 2.8 zooms in the long end and wide end big time HURRY UP !!!!!!!
    will use those for outdoor and the ultra wide indoor when I want that wide
    so the trio of Oly 2.8
    primes 17 42.5 and 75
    flash gear ? whatever I can finally get to do what I need not sure yet this is changing
    maybe have in bag the 60 macro but the 12-40 gets close enough for ring details :) so might use that instead

so any one else would love to hear what you are using etc..

• Like Like x 1
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    GH4 or E-M1 x 2
    12-35 or 12-40
    35-100 or 40-150
    7-14/2.8
    17/1.8
    25/1.4
    42.5/1.2
    60/2.8
    75/1.8
    Yongnuo flash x 2
    PocketWizard non-TTL
    Umbrella or soft box
    Light stand
    Tripod

There you have it. The ultimate wedding MFT kit.

• Like Like x 4
  3. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    so kinda curious do you have this gear and shoot weddings ? or not :)

only reason I ask :) 40-150 is not out ?
    tripod ? OK I would say no way for weddings :)

umbrella ? ahhhhhh maybe a tiny folding one :) otherwise wind catchers at weddings
    yongnuo ? I guess you would use this on camera manual or what ?
    and why that over others ?
    pocket wizards ? better options like phottix canon on Oly that allow TTL pass through if you want it

post up pics of your weddings you shoot :)

was hoping to get some folks replying posting what they actually USE :) not some dream list :) but oh well :) ahhahahaha

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I don't shoot weddings with my m43 cameras, only because they are still relatively new to me and I've not got the proper comfort level trusting such an event with them yet.

I shoot using Nikon D300/D700/Df using 24/2.8, 50/1.8, 80-200/2.8 and 300/4 lenses.
    I also have an off camera lighting kit if appropriate/allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    I haven't shot a wedding in a long time, but I wouldn't go m4/3 just yet for exactly those 2 reasons--low light AF and flash.

I know people do weddings with Fuji gear that's even slower to focus in low light or even manual focus with Leicas, but for me it's not ideal. As I'm heavy on candids during receptions I need something fast in all situations including low light, and m4/3 isn't quite there yet.

In terms of flash there's no off-camera, radio-based TTL that can also do high speed sync for m4/3. In a quickly changing environment it's tough to shoot with manual power flash. Again some people make it work for them but it's not for me. And no flashes that can take external battery packs means slow refresh--another strike.

So if I were shooting weddings today I wouldn't go m4/3 just yet. YMMV. I used to run with 2 Canon bodies, 5 L lenses, and a couple of flashes and battery packs so I feel your pain, but unfortunately I don't consider m4/3 quite up to it yet. Your idea to downsize is a good one, although I wouldn't know where to start on the Nikon side except for what I've read from other users' experiences.

• Like Like x 2
  6. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah I played around a bit first and then tagged along on a few weddings with one of my photographer buds and shot them found out really quick where they did not work and where I was like WOW this is cool :)

I use a D600 for my FF these days but have been curious about the Df also the low light king now :)

7. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Yohan Pamudji yeah I hear ya but that is half the fun trying to make the low light work :) hahhaha
    but why I shoot FF still and no plans on giving it up :)
    also for me for sure going on 15 years as a wedding tog I am kinda burnt out and want to have fun with my gear again !

also I don't experiment on paying clients !!! I just hit one of my photographer buds up and tag along to play with ideas or sometimes in the dead time of the reception I can play a bit but testing gear won't do on someones dime :)

really for me at least the only place the M4/3 fall short is the reception this past weekend I was tired so took a couple shots with the M4/3 and the 75 of the speeches which it nails since they are not moving then put it away only FF ! usually by that time its nice to be down to one camera since my backup is at the DJ stand so for me its kinda working
    more and more I am thinking just keep the D610 put away until the reception go in put away my M4/3 and grab the D600 and no stress :)

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    When I shoot m4/3 at a wedding I use:

7.5mm fish
    12-35 2.8
    45mm 1.8
    60mm macro
    75mm 1.8

EM1+EM5

I have no interest in the 35-100 as it would only cover the 75-100 range for me. The 40-150 is very interesting. As is the Nocitron.

But I also shhot other systems:

Leica: M240 and M9.

12mm
    W.A.T.E.
    24mm 2.8 ASPH
    35mm Summilux
    50mm 1.5 Nokton
    75mm Helliar
    90mm Summarit (upgrading to summicron soon)
    135mm APO

or SOny

2x A7
    fish
    24-70 Zeiss
    55mm 1.8 Zeiss
    135mm Ziess
    * pre-order of the 70-200 f4

So as long as I have a wide zoom and a 135(ish) lens plus a fast 50, I'm good to go. I shoot over 50% of my weddings with the 50mm and that's why I haven't gone all in on m43. Need a 25mm f1.0 PannyLeica please.

Gordon

• Like Like x 4
  9. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    I have an opportunity to second shoot a wedding this coming Saturday. The bride didn't pay for a second, so I'm not under any pressure to produce anything. This will be my first chance to try the EM-1 with FL-50, a full kit of great glass, and my Cheetah lights. Looking forward to see what I can get.

• Like Like x 3
  10. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Todd that is the fun way to do it no pressure :) for sure post up when you are done and have fun

I don't say good luck as I say Luck is not needed :) hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  11. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The Df is a great camera, but I would not get it just on the fact that a DXO graph says it is king of low light. Pitted against my D700 in real world use, most people are not going to know the difference. Only pixel peeping will show you anything and that is not where my clients live.

It performs fine and focus is great, but you already have a good FF camera in the D600.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Interesting topic, I'm curious to see if any other users with wedding experience on m4/3 chime in :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  13. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    no would not be for that DXO ?

full time pro (30 years total) would be why :) and I am not sold on just having my D600 and I work on a lot of files since I also have a post production company so see a ton of stuff and the D4 files are sweet for sure
    for me would be I am trying to simplify and shave weight and have fun doing so and I like natural light when I can so would be what I decide to do for a second body to my D600 and don't want another D610 ? just not a camera I like shooting ? its OK does the job but its just blah
    I am just over 50 do well can pick choose what jobs I get these days so trying to have fun shooting and the Df ? again will get my hands on one before I pull the trigger though :)

right now I don't want a D4 long done with those heavy bodies and I am thinking D800 ? so would be between those two theDf and D800e I have some things I am doing would be good for since the new Pentax med format is hosed on the sync speed I just might do a D800 but I also like low light and the D800e is not a low light camera compared :)

QUOTE=gryphon1911;630141]The Df is a great camera, but I would not get it just on the fact that a DXO graph says it is king of low light. Pitted against my D700 in real world use, most people are not going to know the difference. Only pixel peeping will show you anything and that is not where my clients live.

It performs fine and focus is great, but you already have a good FF camera in the D600.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

14. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    hoping some do or even ones that just do it on the side :) but a few pros are doing it but little chat about weddings direct ;) hahaahha

15. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    [/QUOTE]

Hey, don't let me talk you out of the Df, if that is something you like/want. It is a great camera anad you are correct, that D4 sensor that they put into the Df is sweet! :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Good grief, Chad. You just can't stop stirring the pot, can you? :smile:

I tried shooting my OMD EM5s at weddings and ran up against the wall at low-light receptions. Also, the photographer for whom I second-shoot doesn't like the files. These days, my light-weight setup is a Canon 6D with the 24-85 lens and a very light army surplus bag containing a 70-200 f4L lens and a Nikon SB28 flash. That's it. In my rolling Porter Case I have a Canon 60D, several prime lenses plus a 17-35 f2.8 Canon L zoom, and more flashes. But that's just backup, and I don't dig into that stuff unless I need something special.

• Like Like x 1
  17. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Hi Dave,
    Just curious ... what was the main problem you encountered with the EM5 at low-light receptions?
    Thanks,
    Z

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

It simply wouldn't focus quickly, accurately, and sometimes, not at all..

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011

Hi Gordon, interested in why you haven't considered the PL25 as 50MM equivalent.

-Dan.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Dave I wonder why he does not like the files ? my thought is not the latest LR and profiles and not understanding they take a bit of dif approach IMHO anyway of doing over FF
    less sharpening less clarity etc..

I hear ya on dark reception though :)