Ultimate Portable Media Storage Solution?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biro, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    • Like Like x 1
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    While the integrated cable and rugged feature is nice I'm not sure why they where "look what I found". External USB powered drives are really not new. And $125 is not cheap. Western Digital, Seagate, and Toshiba have had 1tb drives for at least a year. And they start around $70-$80 with Toshiba having a 1.5tb drive for $99 and Western Digital having a 2tb drive for $150.
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And you still need a computer. Which already has a hard drive built-in. I'll get excited when I can get something like this with a built-in card reader for that price.
  4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Those look pretty cool. Now just waiting for the price to drop a bit...
  6. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Certainly interesting but it's just basically a standard external hard drive. Over the years I've tried various ways of portable storage and the only one which really works for me well has been by using my Samsung s3. I have had 2 of those photo bank systems which have a card reader and 2.5" drive, but found them to be slow and rubbish to use. Battery died really quickly too.

What I like about using a smartohine is It's always with me, ultra portable and I have a tiny sd adaptor which plugs into the mini USB of the phone, micro sd cards are so cheap now it makes sense. Also being able to view raw images on the phone is a bonus.
  7. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
  8. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    I tried the Seagate wireless when it first came out... not very fast transferring files and had some connectivity problems.

Take a look at the Hyperspace iUSB adapter. It can be used to make a regular usb drive wireless (as well as other things) and hs been pretty reliable. A friend and I both got one... he uses his with an iPad and I use mine with an Android tablet.
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Well, not even close to that price but ..........HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA