Ulfric's Thumb-Thing

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ulfric M Douglas, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Having just been made aware of the ridiculous price of a 'ThumbsUp' for grip-enhancing Leica cameras ( £140 dollarses! ) I thought I'd just make a Thing.
    You see, I naively thought people were getting their's for £25-ish and looked to see if it was feasible to put on my Pen, and if it came with an extra hotshoe-on-hotshoe bit.
    Oh no. Way too expensive.
    I then looked into making one for myself with a hotshoe ontop, since it occupies the real hotshoe in use.
    Too complicated for a Saturday evening, so I made a simple thing and just glued it on. Yes folks, careful file-shaping of surfaces and latex contact adhesive.
    I guess tomorrow will give it a workout and see if it stays on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    OK, so my Thumb-Thing stayed on solidly for a few hours picture-taking, worked well.
    The point was to keep my thumb from rolling the dial and inadvertently changing the aperture, in A mode.
    It did what it says on the tin.

3. Quite a neat idea. Does it improve the handling of the E-P1 at all, or is it solely to prevent accidentally moving the thumbwheel?

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice bit of Metal workmanship Ulfric. Neat idea.

5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Ulfric, c'est chic...

PS: Is it porridge on the back screen?

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Merci.

As a side-effect it quickens my move from dangling to up and ready, as the Bishop said to the actress. (By involving my thumb as a lever rather than its previous role as an appendage causing unwanted wheel-nudges)

• Like Like x 1