1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

UK used Pentax 50mm F1.7??

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WESO, May 3, 2014.

1. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Spotted this yesterday in local camera shop given it's the uk imagine used prices are more expensive than USA just like new prices. So not worried by value as such on relatively small sum.
    Where I am confused is the various versions and models of a Pentax standard lens, I believe some are better than others.
    I took this iPhone snap of lens in shop window
    Given the briefest of brief info is this likely tone a good option for my basic portrait shots with plenty of background blur etc.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399110698.167757.

2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I have the very same beast and I'm in the UK too. I haunted Ebay and you can generally find these lenses attached to a Pentax ME Super. I bought mine attached to the camera for a few quid - £30 seems like a bit of a rip-off but that's just my opinion.

Here's a sample taken with the f1.7 nifty fifty on Good Friday this year - it's wide open on my G2:
    Orchid2.

This is the lens in question with a good look at the serial number:
    E-PM1withPentax50-f17.

3. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Lovely image yes will have a look on eBay for a bargain me thinks
    High street used prices!
    Thanks for posting

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  4. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Cheers - I think that shopping around on Ebay is your best bet.

The lens isn't always mentioned when the listing is for an ME Super so just check the photographs carefully for the aperture ring. Of course some folk just come right out and say the sale is for a f1.7/50mm with an ME Super body attached - I've noticed that most sellers 'found' the camera in their grandparents attic or it was a house clearance item. If you happen to come across the f2/50mm in your search you should snap that one up too - I know I did. :thumbup:

Best of luck!

5. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks for the buying tips, my only legacy standard lens at the moment is Prakticar B fitting 1.8 which I am more than happy with but suspect there are improvements to be had elsewhere
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399116871.293749.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399116885.886537.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I would say that the Prakticar f1.8/50mm is a pretty ordinary lens.

My advice would be to invest in both a M42-M4/3 and a PK-M4/3 adapter. This means that most Pentax lenses will be covered as well as a whole lot of legacy glass which uses the M42 screw thread mount. If it's 'bokeh' you're looking for then I suggest the old Helios '44' range. Some say the 44-2 (f2/58mm) is the best example - it's the one I have and it certainly produces the swirly stuff. :wink:

Go to the Adapted Lens Image Thread and have a look at the kind of pics taken with some old glass - you might get some ideas right there on the type of 'look' you want your photographs to have.

7. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks again, already have several adapters M42-4/3 on other legacy glass so that bit covered in anticipation of some new purchases. Will look at the Russian Helios stuff, ironically what I started out with many lifetimes ago! Sounds like you have quite a collection of legacy standard lenses...

8. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Aye, I have quite a few bits of legacy glass. :wink: Sometimes I pick them up for a quid, sometimes a bit more. I'm having fun comparing 135mm lenses at the moment. Just bought myself a Prinz Galaxy f3.5/135mm minty fresh in the box for a tenner - including postage. I also have a Miranda f2.8. a Petri f3.5, a Soligor f3.5 and a.n.other Galaxy f3.5 - it looks nothing like the Prinz Galaxy.

I started off my photography life with a Fed 3 back in the very early 80's - this is a copy I bought recently but it's the same beastie:
    Fed3inCase.

9. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    I started off with a Zorki 4k!

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

10. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    I was a Pentax shooter before switching to m4/3...had several of these over the years. I love Pentax glass...this is a great little lens and can usually find them for a bargain. I actually have one on the way from eBay myself I paid $36 USD for....should be getting it within the next day or two.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Buying it from LCE gives you a short garantee if the lens has been damaged you can get your money back (without forking out return postage). Lenses on camera bodies that aren't described can be a lottery, with quality sometimes being non existant even on good brands (due to abuse/bad storage...)

I've got a number of these M50 1.7 lenses (mainly donated by family with their old SLRs). Certainly it's a nice lens. I still use 2 of mine one as made, the other with the rear group removed leaving a ~100mm soft focus lens that needs a belows to get focus :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. StirlingBartholomew

StirlingBartholomew New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2014
    Been shooting Pentax on a Panasonic G2 for several years. Recently added an E-M5 but haven't tested all of these with it yet.

SMC Pentax K series 55mm F2 K mount Reasonably sharp but the corners not quite as sharp as Super-Takumar 55mm F1.8

Super-Takumar 55mm F1.8 M42 standard lens with S1a. Beautiful bokeh. Very sharp at f5.6 out to the corners. Tested extensively on Mu4/3 sensor. Performs equal or better than high grade digital lenses (zooms) at that focal length. Very portable on a Mu4/3 body.

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 K mount standard lens with ME super. Good condition, very clean. Performs very well Mu4/3, perhaps a little better in the corners at f2 than Super-Takumar 55mm F1.8. Usable at f2.8, Very sharp at f4- corners sharp at f5.6 f8. Best 50-55mm in this collection. Haven't tested it yet on the EM-5.

SMC Pentax K series 35mm F3.5 K mount soft in the corners at all apertures. Not a lens I could recommend for MU43.

SMC Pentax-M 200mm F4 K mount Performs not quite equal to a 135mm Vivitar f3.5 at f5.6 Mu4/3 sensor. F4 is good in the center but shows some CA's on the edges. F5.6 is more than adequate for most users. It would probably be called "a sharp lens" by some folks on the Pentax forums.Tested against Zuiko 50-200mm f2.8-f3.5, which was significantly better under all conditions.

SMC Pentax-M 85mm F2 K mount . Not as clean as the other lenses. Some internal mildew on the edges. After cleaning the front and rear element this lens performed amazingly well on a Mu4/3 sensor. This is the least sought after version of Pentax high speed 85mm prime and for good reasons. It has major problems at f2, very broad CAs and kind of soft all over. Tested extensively with 12mp Mu4/3 body. It was very sharp stopped down to f4-f5.6. F2.8 was also quite decent. The optical flaws in the glass must be outside the portion of the lens in use for a Mu4/3 censor since I could detect no evidence of soft spots or even general flare. The performance is consistent with what others who have seriously tested the lens have reported. It isn't a favorite of the Pentax 85mm prime aficionados and sells for a fraction of what some of the old Super-Takumar f1.8-1.9 lenses go for.

Viviatar M42 135mm f3.5 Very clean, good performance at f4-f5.6. In fact there isn't any reason to stop down below f4 Mu4/3 sensor, it doesn't buy you anything. This lens has a decent reputation and this copy performs about as expected. It isn't in the same league with Zuiko 50-200mm f2.8-f3.5.

• Like Like x 2
  13. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks for the last few detailed replies, great stuff thank you
    The lens in my original post they still have
    May well have a closer look!
    Mark

14. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Walked past said shop (in original post) lens was still there now priced up at just £19.99 (sterling). Had to pick it up, with 6 months warranty as well.

Happy given i have missed out on other micro4rds gear at same shop.

Off to ebay for a cheap chinese adaptor now...

Mark

15. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Couple of snaps

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401365019.896386.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401365032.746682.

16. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Buy a cheap focal reducer EOS to m4/3, an PK to EOS adapter for your 50mm 1.7
    You then have a nice portrait lens 35mm f1.2, close to nocticron in FOV.

The focal reducer is shorter than a PK/m43 adapter but is heavier. Anyway the 50mm 1.7 is tiny and light, while 100% metal, a beautiful lens, like all Pentax lenses!

• Like Like x 1
  17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I can't see if that's a K-mount or M42, but if it's m42, this one will work well:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OVX17Q/

You can take it apart and remove the inside lip/flange if the lens has an auto/manual switch.

Barry

18. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    It's a K mount I have sourced a Chinese adapter via uk eBay for £10 (sterling) more importantly via a uk seller so should be with me shortly
    Presently reading up on reducers on this very forum...
    Thanks your interest
    Mark