UK Price Rant.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Gyles, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Looking over the forums over the past few weeks makes me realise how much us Brits are being ripped off.

Oly 15/8 USA price posted is about $50, UK £75, with the current exchange rates that's over double the price.

GX1 with kit zoom USA $460 UK £450

OMD EM-5 USA $1100 UK £1150

1 GBP = 1.61 USD, 1.24 Euro, 1.58 Aud, 126.86 JPY

We pay 20% tax, but other countries pay tax too.

• Like Like x 3
  2. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    It could be worse. :wink: Checked the prices where I live:

"Oly 15/8 USA price posted is about $50, UK £75" - n/a

"GX1 with kit zoom USA $460 UK £450" - 629€ (895€ with the PZ kit)

"OMD EM-5 USA $1100 UK £1150" - n/a

(We pay the same 20% tax that you do.)

Thank goodness for online retailers that ship internationally. :mad:
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland

Maybe I'm wrong but those prices in USD probably don't include any taxes.

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    This has been a contentious issue for all electronic items in the UK for many years and despite the fact that in some US states prices are quoted without sales tax, once that has been added we still in the UK pay a lot over the odds and this is why we see a lot more "Grey imports" available via internet retailers.

No one comes clean and retailers blame manufacturers and vice versa but the fact is, if you shop around you can get better prices but not equivalent to those in the US.

Unfortunately we have lost the art of "People power" in the UK and those that want and can afford will pay the price regardless so nothing will change and our politicians are not interested!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Seems pretty much standard practice to do straight $/£ conversions these days.

It could be worse, go to New Zealand and look at their camera prices.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I can talk about how terrible prices are in NZ. For you to make a simple math is American list prices plus 35% more in a good case. So for example an epm1 which is going for $150 - 170 on ebay and such here in NZ is going on sale for $400 us equivalent. Cool isn't it! And can go as far as the p1235 is currently selling in stores here for $2150 that's about 1900 us! No joke
  7. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    But you live in such a great place, so that more than makes up for it.....very nearly move out to NZ many years ago.......I've got family in South Beach Auk.
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

9. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    If we pay these silly prices, is it not our fault that prices are high?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    They don't and they don't necessarily need to. Sales tax in the US varies from about 0%-11% depending on where you live. More importantly, if I buy something online from a vendor based in say New York and I live in California, than there is no tax since the vendor is out of state.

In the end, even after paying import taxes, it's often cheaper for Europeans to mail order items form the US than buy them locally. I've given this advice to many Europeans I've met and they've saved a lot. Obviously, this works better for big ticket items than for small items since the cost of shipping would overwhelm the savings for a small item.
  11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I think prices in India are pretty reasonable. They are usually about $100-$150 over the US prices. That's in the case of Olympus though, as they're pretty active here. Panasonic doesn't care about the Indian market so the prices for those are crazy.
  12. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I'm in the UK.
    On every product I've checked the USA price for, when I add VAT and the cost of delivery the price works out at best about £20 cheaper than the cheapest price that product can be bought for in the UK (in a clearly not coincidental way). The tiny saving is not worth the hassle there might be if the product needs to be returned.
  13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    And remember that you have to pay import duty (3-6% IIRC) on the price+shipping cost, and VAT then comes on top of that.

OM-D E-M5, Samyang 7.5, O9-18, P20, O40-150, O45, Fuji X100, Hadley small: enthusiastic beginner!
  14. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yes, and to demonstrate my point to get the EPL5 (w/kit lens) from B&H (who do helpfully work it all out for you) would cost £578.54. From Amazon UK it is £599.

The EPL5 , by the way, is now on Amazon UK for pre-order. Release date is quoted as 31st October. No body only option so far.
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    This is false. There is a tax - called a use tax - on items purchased out of state (rate is same as sales tax). However, you, not the seller, are responsible for reporting and paying it at tax-time. While many people do not do this, if you are caught, you will not only have to pay the tax, but also substantial penalties.

16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I just went onto the porch and looked around; we have plenty of room left here in the Colonies, c'mon over, we'd be pleased to have ya!

Of course you'd have to forget English and learn American, but there's a downside to everything :wink:.

Where I live (State of Michigan) sales tax is 6% on online purchases, but only collected if the online firm has a physical presence in the state. Otherwise it's on the honor system; legally one is required to 'fess up but it's rumored that the state loses a LOT of money each year in lost sales tax due to people 'forgetting' to claim purchases. The state government is working on remedying that situation.

Feel free to emigrate; all is forgiven from 1812 :biggrin:. If you move to Michigan and need a "fix" of real English we are only a couple of hours travel from Toronto, where 'color' is still 'colour'.

(I can't complain about U.S. taxes - I have three kids in the U.S. military services who get paid out of tax dollars...which is cheaper on me than them living at home :wink:).

Tongue firmly in cheek, regards,

17. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    What happens when you buy items used, say from here or on eBay? Do you still have to pay duty etc.? Can you avoid the high prices that way?
  18. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've just bought a 45-175mm from eBay US and the cost was $290, which even including 6% duty, 20% Tax and $30 postage, still works out £60 cheaper than Amazon.

Regarding used items, the UK Government will still take 6% duty, 20% Tax and the Royal Mail will take £6 for the pleasure of collecting those taxes.
  19. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK

I think only over a certain value, a low one at that. Sometimes if the vendor declares it as being a gift, then you can avoid tax.