1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

UK - GH3 now £749 new, any merit in purchase over G6?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WESO, Mar 23, 2014.

1. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Reasonably set on acquiring a OM-D E-M10, shortly. Noticed the GH3 is coming down fast in cost due to arrival of the GH4...
    Given I like Panasonic handling and menu system and all my legacy lenses are Panasonic the G6 is the obvious buy for me. The pro build quality of GH3 has appeal.
    How dated is the sensor technology in the GH3.
    A quick look at the sensor tests on dxo site suggests the GH3 is still on the pace with OMd's and better than G6. (not that I understand the ratings)!
    I am not into video as such but with 2 young children could use it I am sure looking ahead.
    Coming from 2 G1's bodies and a Pani 45-200 and a couple of kit zooms.
    I know technology moves on in small but significiant levels with each release in the "G" series. Sensor/processor quality better on GH3 than G6 or not?
    Is there a G7 any time soon?....
    Thanks in advance:smile:

2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The sensor in the GH3 is usefully better than the one in the G6 - 1/2 to 1 stop better noise performance, and much better dynamic range. The ergonomics are a bit better too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks for that, pretty much what I think the dxo sensor test was indicating.
    I wonder how it's AF compares ie GH3 v G6

4. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I think they're much the same.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Is the noise benefit for the sensor applicable in raw? Or is it referring to noise reduction in JPEG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Both the noise and the dynamic range are better in RAW - I've no idea how they compare for JPEGS :)

7. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    GH3 is built tougher than the G6 too, though it's bigger and heavier if that's a concern. Are you still considering the EM10? It would be worth handling both in store. They are aimed at slightly different demographics; GH3 is pro where as EM10 is enthusiast.

8. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Have made a payday purchase of a EM-10 which i should be getting through the post tomorrow. Thought seriously about the GH3 but as i likened to it the additional cost factor of £220 weighed heavily. I also have been in awe of the OM-D since discovering this forum.
    On a side note supply in the UK is pretty scarce at the minute especially for bodies only and particularly silver. Settled for the last black body that Clifton cameras had on there shelves and they told me they were waiting for Olympus UK to get further stock from factory. Can only assume they are selling well?
    Just got to adapt to the menu system once it arrives.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    From the point of view of "nice colours" and low-noise-high-ISO, in my opinion the GH3 is Panasonic's top camera,
    however most forumites here would say the GX7/GM1 is better due to some measureable noise parameters.

By all accounts the GH3 has the same sensor as the E-M5/E-M10/e-P5/e-pL5/e-pM2 ... and (somewhat surprisingly) similar colours,
    making it the most Olympusish-producing Panasonic to date.

No, it really does not. It is far more complicated than that. Even the lowly G1 is more advanced in some control aspects than the G6!

10. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    [
    No, it really does not. It is far more complicated than that. Even the lowly G1 is more advanced in some control aspects than the G6![/QUOTE]

I think i was referring to sensor and processor technology. I appreciate Panisonic headed in a duming down exercise control wise after the G1 which i assumed they got out of there system by the G5 and 6 etc. I rather like the handling of the G1 and build (having 2 of them) is that what you mean?
    just curious:smile:

11. norrisphysio

norrisphysio New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :biggrin: Err ... its even more complicated than that, there is a feature called "multifilm" which I use a lot in my G1 and GF1 that disappeared by the G3,
    the GH2 sensor (reportedly tweaked into the G5 & G6) has multi-aspect oversized goodness which was then chucked away for the new cameras.
    There are colour issues (in RAW too) with some GH2 cameras which can be found rearing their irritating head occasionally in the G5 & G6 but not happening in the GH3.
    I guess we can dig deep into everything, but Panasonics incremental models can throw away good stuff for no reason :mad:

Personally I'd like a G2.5 myself : same body & battery as G1/G2, video, same sensor as GH3 ...

• Like Like x 1
  13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    +1. My best color so far from all the Panasonic bodies I've used to date. (GF1, G3 and GX1)

++ to date > GH3 - best external controls and handling I've used on Micro 4/3s.

14. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    I believe panasonic now have an offer on in the uk where you get a free 25mm f1.4 lens, spare battery and battery grip when you purchase the GH3.

15. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Cracking deal for those interested in the uk
    Wex photographic
    GH3 body £749
    (Avail on 12 mons interest free)
    Claim back from Pani
    25mm lens, grip & battery

Other Pani offers on there site but not as good as the above imho

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The Panasonic promotions page is also interesting for people aiming to buy a GX7 "Kit", with two different free lenses on offer.
    Complicated but worth checking.

17. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I'm seriously tempted by this offer!

18. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I was in the camera shop today, wanted to handle a GH3 for size but there were none available.
    The guy at the counter actually knew all about the current offer, which was quite surprising : free grip plus the "Leica" 25mm lens, as he put it.