UK embraces Micro Four Thirds cameras

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by cstevens, Mar 4, 2010.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    • Like Like x 8
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Watch those figures get even better during 2010! :smile:

3. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Not if you live in the UK and want to buy lots of legacy lenses!

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  5. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    lucily I have my eye on 2 or 3 as we speak which I am hoping to get for next to nowt before prices start to go up....just like old flashes went up when "strobist" arrived on the scene

6. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Well, there are squillions of old lenses available.

I'm wondering what this means.

The sales by volume of such interchangeable-lens film cameras (35mm, let alone the Fuji GX680 and the Mamiya 7) are going to be trivially low. So Panasonic plus Olympus micro 4/3 sales are, by volume, one ninth of that of DSLRs from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, and Fuji and Sigma (if they still make them) and Cosina (under one or other of its German names) and Leica. This strikes me as surprisingly low, particularly in view of all the hoopla about micro 4/3.

What is surprising is the imbalance within west Europe, with half of the sales going to one nation. But are sales particularly good within Britain or surprisingly bad in the other ten nations? I'd guess it's the latter.

Got it: High profit margins on interchangeable-lens cameras (and that's before the customer is urged to buy a "protector" for each lens, etc), but a dismally low 3.2% of sales volume accounted for by micro 4/3.

If this trend continues, there should be plenty of old lenses around for quite some time. Though Olympus and Panasonic might just give up in continental Europe.

Or perhaps I'm missing something here. (Sorry, I don't have an MBA.)