UK 7-14 owners - Anyone want to share cost of a 2A Wratten gel filter?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pdk42, Jun 25, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I should be getting the rear filter holder to fit my 7-14 soon. The Wratten 2a filter though seems only available in the USA and the price is quite high incl shipping. Given that a single gel can be cut into multiple filters, does anyone fancy sharing one? A high stop ND might be worth adding to the list too.

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    What is the shared cost for the filters?
    I have the 7-14mm lens and I have read about the rear filter holder. it's something that might interest me.

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I didn't know there was a rear filter holder. Can you post a link?

Thanks

4. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Here is the link: https://www.mu-43.com/f38/my-definitive-post-7-14mm-purple-blob-problem-45013/index7.html

The filter holder is actuall for the panasonic Fisheye lens and it can fit the 7-14mm lens with very little modification. Until I read that post, I didn't know the Fisheye lens had a rear filter holder. kind of wish that Panasonic supplied it with the 7-14 as well.

5. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I reckon the total cost incl shipping will be around £30-£40. A 3" square filter will be good for 9 rear filters, so less than a fiver each. If we added an ND grad, it might go up to £50 (assuming postage can be combined).

6. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Ok, that sounds reasonable to me.
    Where did you order the rear filter holder and for how much?
    I do have a panasonic store in Bournemouth, not sure if they can help me, but when I am next down there , I'll try and see if they can help.

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Darren (and any new entrants!) - apologies for delay, I was waiting for the eBay vendor I contacted to be back from vacation. This is what he says:

OK, I am back from vacation and my inventory is back online if you still need it. I have the 3 inch 2A unopened for $29.95, shipping is $10 to UK. As far as a strong ND filter I am listing them now. I have unopened 2.00, 3.00 and 4.00 at $49.95. There would be no additional shipping charge. I also have some used ones and I am grading and pricing those as well. The photos are not in the listings for some of the ND filters yet. If you need help locating the listings let me know.​

So, basically, $90 all in for both 2A and 4 stop ND. With just two of us, that'll be about £32 each which is not too bad, but would be much better if we got more people interested. Anyone?

Regarding the holder, I ordered mine from CCE in Pennsylvania. The part nr is VXQ1911. The CCE website is here: https://cceparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PartNumberKey=PPVXQ1911 . I had the item shipped to the US address of a colleague in our US office who then brought it to the UK on a business trip. This resulted in quite a long wait! I could do the same now, but the sake of $10 postage another long wait doesn't make sense.

Anyhow, let me know what you think.

8. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I would be interested in the 4 stop ND & 2A filter. I'm quite happy to wait to see if there are any other takers too.
    Let me know when you're thinking of pulling the trigger.

9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Ok - will do. In the meantime, I found a 2B filter on eBay UK. It's not as strongly absorbing as the 2A, but it might do. I'll post some pics once I've got it. If that works, happy to share for minimal cost.

10. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Ok thanks, I'm going to try out the Panasonic shop to see if I can get the filter holder through them. CCE charges $39 to ship the filter holder, looking at over $60 in total. Ok not as much as compared to the lens itself, but it will be interesting to see if I can get it in the UK.

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Just two points...

A 4 stop ND does not equate to an ND4. I have an ND 2.0 gel filter which is the equivalent of 7 stops. A 10 stop ND filter is equivalent to an ND 3.0.

Secondly I would be a little careful of 'sharing' gel filters - they are very fragile. You could easilt get through 9 in a year on the back filter of the 7-14mm. Obviously sharing the cost of filters when the major cost is postage makes sense. But I would order more with the same postage rather than less.

12. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks Robbie. I'm new to this gel filter thing. In fact, after playing around tonight with the 2B filter I got from eBay (arrived today), I can see what you mean about fragile. They are easily scratched and when they are, it causes its own flare/loss of contrast on bright light sources. Cutting them to size isn't easy either. In fact, I may just give up on the whole idea!!

Darren - I might have a holder for sale!

13. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Did you have any luck reducing the purple blob issue with the 2b filter? I'm trying to find a 2a filter, but can only dig up 2b filters for a reasonable price...

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The 2b I used did reduce the purple to some degree, but there was a lot remaining. What was worse though was that it noticably degraded overall contrast (maybe because I scratched the gel a bit). Personally, I've given up on the idea. I sold the holder and I may sell the 7-14 too.

15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The 2A is very effective and also seems to eradicate purple fringing that is common with this lens.

The gel filters are a bit fiddly - it is best to put them in when you are out rather than in the field. However, once you have fitted one you can pretty much leave it in, indefinitely.