Uh-oh, lens got wet...now what?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by retnull, Aug 1, 2011.

1. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Seeking advice!! I had a freak boating accident this afternoon, and now the Panasonic 20/1.7 is soaked. Dripping. There are water drops between the lens elements.

I'm on vacation. The body (GH-1) is toast, a total write-off. So what do you think? --

1) It's worth sending the lens Panasonic for repair.
    2) Wait until I get home in two weeks, then try to see if lens functions on another body.
    3) Just forget about it!

Thanks in advance!
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    ouch ... I'm sorry ...
  3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    Very sorry to hear it. I would say maybe 2) and then, if it doesn't work, 3)...
    But I had no experience like that. If it was an accident was there an insurance policy covering it by any chance?
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Silica gel packs or uncooked rice STAT
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    definitely follow the above advice to try to absorb the moisture....

so sorry about the bad news. It is the greatest lens for the system. I'd wait and let it dry out and hope for the best. Next, I'd try to contact Panasonic and see what they would charge to repair and if the guarantee the repair to work.

Good luck.
  6. Cheddarchick

Cheddarchick Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2011
    Salt or fresh water? If salt...toss it.....
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't do that. Water, even tap, water has a lot of stuff in it. Minerals, debris, etc, etc. If you just dry it out, you'll leave all that stuff behind. Some of it conductive. If you've ever got water spots on glass, you'll know how hard it is to get off. I would take it apart if possible and rinse it off in tap water first, then I would rinse it off with a jug of distilled water and then I would dry it. Since distilled water is just water, there won't be any residue left behind. You'll have to do a full CLA afterwords.

Having said all this, chances are that if was powered then the electronics are fried. It's in the same state as your body.

Just file a claim on your PAP and move on. You had it on a PAP right?
  8. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Fresh water, luckily. But I dunno -- there is quite a lot of water in the lens. Theoretically, the glass might be salvageable, but I'm guessing the electrical components of the lens must be dead.

I'll check with Panasonic about a repair. But I've had such a great time with this lens for two years now -- I'd replace it without thinking twice. Truly a great piece of glass!
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    what is a PAP?
  10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Personal Articles Protection/Policy. It's insurance for things you generally carry around with you. It costs about $1 per $100 of coverage a year. So you can cover a GH1 + 20mm for less than $10/year.
  11. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    WOW... that soo sucks. Hopefully you have the insurance to replace your gear. Curious to see how the lens is when you get back home.