1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Uh Oh, GAS is acting up again

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dougjgreen, Jun 20, 2013.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Let me preface this by saying that I am actually NOT planning on getting any more equipment for a while. But what happened was, I took advantage of the great deal that Samy's was running on the GF-3+ 14mm kit, for $199 all in, since the lens alone sells for that price, and I figured if I can sell the GF-3 body for $100 or so, I would effectively cut the price of the lens in half to me.

Well, the kit arrived today, and the GF-3 is SO SMALL, that it makes my E-PL2 (which is my current 2nd body) seem bulky in comparison. Not to mention my G5, which is my main M43 camera - looks absolutely HUGE compared to the GF-3, So now I'm thinking of NOT selling the GF-3, but hanging on to it, on the premise that it, along with either the 14mm or 20mm pancake primes, really is a genuinely pocketable camera, whereas the E-PL2 is not quite so. I had already convinced myself that the E-PL2 served a necessary purpose, having IBIS and better control ergonomics than the GF-3 for manual or Aperture priority modes, so now I am finding myself rationalizing keeping BOTH the E-PL2 and the GF-3 as compliments to my G5.

Could someone please talk me down from this precipice? I really DON'T need 3 different M43 bodies - but each of the darn things each do something I care about better than the other 2.

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Easy.
    Get an OM-D with the intention of selling all the others.
    Then you won't have to worry about three different cameras with three different batteries.
    Of course, you'll be stuck with four of each if you don't follow through on the selling part...
    Rudy

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    How, exactly, do you fit an OM-D in your pocket? And also, I hear that it has issues with the 20mm f1.7 lens, which is my favorite - and it also has issues with the 7-14 Panny, which is the lens I aspire to down the line in the absence of there ever being a 9mm or 10mm rectilinear prime. Frankly, the OM-D is not something I have even the slightest bit of interest in, even if it were currently a $500 body, not a more than $800 body. If the OM-D was the only body left in the system that I didn't already own, my GAS would be cured.

4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've had trouble selling mine for the very same reason. It is the most pocketable m43 camera. For $100 and given its size, keeping it seems the right decision to me.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  6. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I feel your pain! :biggrin:

After saying to my wife the other day, "I have too many cameras," (she smiled - I'm lucky), I re-evaluated thusly:
    GH2 - keep - it's our "big" camera, but mainly for wife to do video's.
    GF1 - keep - my 20mm f1.7 is welded to it. This is my street camera, tourist camera, family pictures camera.
    E-PL1 - keep - with the IBIS, this is my adapted lens camera, and "experiments" camera.
    LX5 - keep - with its case, it stays on my belt, and is handy when I don't want to 'carry' a camera or contend with a neck strap, etc. Same use as the GF1.

So, each has its own purpose in my life. I just wish that the "buttonology" were the same on all of them. The Lumix's (Lumi?) are similar enough to each other to have tripped me up many times.

(We'll leave my film cameras out of it)

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well now, Doug, THERE'S your problem; a simple lack of willpower in facing up to reality.

Of course you need all three :43: bodies!

:biggrin:

The photo gods have smiled upon thee and granted thee a new camera body for virtually no cost. Do not anger the photo gods by selling their bounty on E-Bay lest they smite thy photos with flare and chromatic aberration.

I vote that you should relax, that you should enjoy, that you should keep the camera.

Regards,

Jim

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This is NOT the answer I was looking for - I was coming up with this answer WITHOUT anyone else's help. I am looking for someone to convince me this ISN'T the answer. :biggrin:

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    That's what Einstein said about the cosmological constant; he was right but convinced himself that he was wrong and thus it became a true error.

Your original answer is correct.

:biggrin:

(Boy, see how easy it is to spend somebody else's money on gear?)

Regards,

Jim

10. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Ok I think this is the answer you are looking for... You only have 2 hands so a third camera body is useless :D;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was in the same scenario, got the GF3 with the 14mm for a very good price(at least at the time it was). Maybe if you use the GF3 enough you may realize the mostly touch screen interface isn't for you. And the fact you can't add a VF, and handling isn't the best with a long zoom is enough to sell it. Plus, that money could go to use to use for a rainy day fund.

12. robonrome

robonrome New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2013
    goes in cycles

having three m43 bodies seems reasonable enough if m43 is you only camera system - at least you're committed :smile:

I was trying to cull down my cameras and usually by buying something with the justifcation if would help me get rid of two others things... rarely works out. I had a Canon 5d3, Lumix G5 and RX100.... I wanted to get rid of either the G5 or Canon 5D3 so my bizaare rationale was buy a GH3 and see if can do the job of both... I love it, but haven't moved on to selling either of the other two...so 4 cameras :dash2:

13. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    You're not the only one.

I now have a G2 (gateway drug) I got for £200 new.
    Convinced myself it would be good to get a GF1 2nd hand for £75
    This year I jumped at a bargain 2 lens G5 kit.
    Thought I'd sell the lenses, but I like the 45 -150 so small compared to 45-200 (though I have to keep the 45-200 right?)
    The 14-42, well what if I gift one of those bodies? That lens can go with it right?
    So I should sell my G2. No, G5 is kind of nice, but G2 fits my hand better and has those physical levers and all. So keep both...
    Then there's that EM5 I need when the price is right to give me IBIS for legacy lenses.

So I still have everything m43 and an LX3.
    I think I suffer from GKS Gear keeping syndrome.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well it is my only system - other than Nikon DSLRs and and Olympus 4/3 DSLRs, and a bunch of medium format film stuff that I am in the process of selling. I won't sell my E-520 with the replaced focusing screen, as it remains my best camera for use with legacy MF glass.

I have one of my Nikon bodies on ebay now (actually, a Kodak DCS-760, which is a high quality 6.1 MP digital sensor and imaging system built into a Nikon F5) - the complete antithesis of a Micro 4/3 camera - it weighs nearly 4 pounds - surprisingly, there is a market for it, as it's been bid to nearly $300.