1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ugrading: what to get at the moment (travel-light-ish)?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bogdanvalentin, Oct 9, 2016.

1. bogdanvalentin

bogdanvalentin Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    Bogdan
    At the moment I have an e-pl3 that served me really well.. I bought the 45mm f1.8 and the leica 15mm f1.7 and it's been wonderful, especially when uploading on reddit and getting lots of karma on my travel pictures :))

But I would like something that handles ISO a little better and has a few more MP..

I was looking at the e-m10 II, as it looks more "serious", while keeping a low profile.
    Also, e-pl8 sounds nice, as it's the newest thing, but at the same time e-p7 is a lot cheaper, and technically, does the same thing.

Any opinions? Waiting a little more is also an options.

2. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    If you just want better still image quality and a viewfinder, the E-M10 mark I is likely the cheapest option. If you don't care about the viewfinder, the E-PL7 is a good option. If you want better video, you might want to look at newer Panasonics.

Still, I don't think you'll get much advice until you decide:
    -Do you want a viewfinder?
    -Do you want a small camera like the E-PL3? Or is bigger okay?
    -Do you care about video?
    -Do you shoot jpegs or RAW? (If you shoot jpegs, you may want to stick with Olympus, if you shoot RAW, it doesn't matter as much.)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Right now i think the E-PM2 is the sweet spot w/o a viewfinder. 16mp Sony sensor and cheap.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I agree with kingduct. How important is the EVF? That will guide your decision to a great degree. And do you want new or used?

--Ken

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If you don't need a viewfinder, you can't go far wrong with the E-PL7 - responsive, versatile and with a well integrated touchscreen interface, and it can be had at a great price now the E-PL8 is around the corner. If you want small, the GM5 is a safe bet - a very nifty camera that'll work very well with your lenses. Finally, in my personal opinion, the GX80/8 is still the best value you can get at the moment, though the E-M10 II isn't that far behind - so if you don't mind switching brands, the GX80/85 is it, if you want to stick with Olympus and don't mind the size, the E-M10 II will most probably make you happy. However, considering where you come from, I'd go for either the E-PL7 (which has a better grip than the E-PL8 and is an all-around good camera - that's why I kept it around when I got the GX80, plus it works better as a second body for the E-M10) or choose the GX80/85 - either way, you'll get a camera that's hardly any bigger than the E-PL3, but offers lots more.

btw. Slightly OT, but anyway: The GX80's JPEGs are very nice - definitely competitive with what the E-M10 and E-PL7 deliver.

M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bogdanvalentin

Aug 19, 2016
    Bogdan
    Thanks for the answers,
    1. I want new.
    2. I don't know if I really want the EVF, i've been using the e-pl3 for three years; before that I used an e-410 and used the viewfinder a lot, but I can't say that I really miss it, got used to using the lcd display..
    3. I shoot only raw.
    4. Other details: I have a FN preset for shooting ae bracketing, and I can't think at this moment of another FN preset I might use often and I need it so quickly to be set on a dedicated button.

If the price would be just ~50E difference, after a serious e-m10II discount, would that make it a definitive winner?

7. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    At that price difference I would definitely lean towards the e-m10ii. Even if you are not a regular EVF user it can be handy in situations where it is hard to see the rear screen or need a little extra stability.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The G80/85 is a pretty killer spec sheet for the newest of Panasonic's stuff. A little less compact than the GX85 or EM10 ii, but a better EVF and handling that is hard to beat. Plus the aperture ring on your 15mm would work...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ray Tracer

Ray Tracer New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    If you are likely to be traveling to anywhere with even moderate sunlight, think seriously about an EVF. For travel, an EVF can make the difference between enjoyable, productive camera use, and utter frustration when sunlight/glare is bright enough to make the LCD unreadable.

10. bogdanvalentin

Aug 19, 2016
    Bogdan
    At that price, I would choose the PEN-F, as it's sexier :))

I'm uncertain about switching from Oly to Pana, but the GX80/85 looks really nice. I'll read some more about the 16:9 EVF and the Pana 5 axis system because I've heard rumors that those might be a problem.

11. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Any of the cameras from the last few years will likely improve your kit, so it's a question of how much you want spend.

Considering you are shooting raw, the jpg engine is not as important as a great sensor and good ergonomics. GX80 (no shutter shock) or even GX7 (fully functioning electronic shutter) would be well worth a look.

12. bogdanvalentin

Aug 19, 2016
    Bogdan
    Actually, the real question can be this.. Is e-m10II too big (bulky) for travel when compared to e-pl7,e-pl8,gx80/85?

13. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    That's a question only you can answer! I've travelled with the E-PM1, E-M10, E-PL7 and GX80 (in this order); the GX80 is the most capable of the compact bodies, but the E-M10 is not a lot bigger - though it forces me to use a bigger bag than my current favourite travel bag. Is that a problem? Not really - just something you have to decide for yourself if it's acceptable. I still prefer the handling of the E-M10 over the (very good) GX80's - and by all accounts, the E-M10 II surpasses its predecessor in that respect.

OT: Compared to the E-PM1 with 12-32mm, everything except a GM5 would feel big - that camera fitted into a tiny bag that rode on the top tube of my trekking bike. I still occasionally pick this combo for minimal bulk, yet satisfying results ... Your E-PL3 isn't an awful lot bigger than the E-PM1.

M.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Have to disagree here. I think the E-PL7 is sweet spot for non EVF options. Why? Age, price, controls, AND IBIS. And from the lenses the OP has IBIS would be nice. I'd add for him the E-M2 would be a step down in controls and wouldn't have the tilt screen. The only thing it's missing for me is I wish it used the new flash but I understand they needed to keep the older system for add on EVFs. There are still some deals that pop up every now and then on E-P5s, new or refurbs, so that might also be worth a look.

If you decide you want an EVF the original E-M10 can be found at bargain prices.

Olympus versus Panasonic? Do you use the Super Control Panel? Do you have display screens disabled? I've gone back and forth between both and my biggest single problem with Panasonic is that I can't disable some of the display screens and their recording information screen goes to a separate screen to change a selected option.

On Olympus bodies I disable all but maybe two options and have "OK" set to bring up the SCP. Then I can select any item on the SCP and turn a dial to cycle through the options for that setting. I can get to and change pretty much any setting I might want to change in one button press, one screen tap, and turn one dial. On Panasonic bodies there are 6 display screen and you can't disable them (display information, no information, display information w/ level gauge, no information w/ level gauge, recording information, and blank). And why are they separated into with and without level gauge when that's an option you turn on and off with a function button anyway (sorry I digress). Panasonic does have the Recording Information Screen, but cycling through the other five is a pain. Also when you select something to change you're brought to another screen to change the selected item. I'm sure there are many here that know I'm probably :026:, AGAIN. But, for me anyway, it's the single biggest handling difference between them.

But both Olympus and Panasonic have some great options. Both have specific features that someone might want. I'm personally in the middle, both have things I would use if I had one. Currently for me I want an EVF even though I don't always use it. I want a rangefinder style body. I prefer the tilt screen over articulated. And I really didn't want to spend the money on a Pen F. So the GX85 is what I currently have and am very happy with it. I don't often shoot video, but I have been playing with some of the stills from 4K stuff and they are pretty cool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    In thinking about upgrading to the Pen F I just made a list of improvements over the E-P5 and decided to get another E-P5. I love the one I've got so much and didn't find anything on my list that I couldn't live without. I'm not trying to upset Pen F owners but I find E-P5 (and E-M1) 16mg images work fine for my kind of photography.
    PS, I also saved about $900 Dollars (US)!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Yes.

17. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    IMO, no. I had a gripped E-M10 and my daughter has an E-PL7, very little difference between them - including size, let alone weight.

If I were starting out again I'd strongly consider the GX80/85, particularly if I had could use the PL lenses with their aperture rings. TBH, I've considered going to a GX80 with 2 prime lens setup - I like the rangefinder style body...however as an EVF user that's the only downside I can see with the GX80/85.

18. bogdanvalentin

Aug 19, 2016
    Bogdan
    This is the only reason that kept me from buying the e-m10ii already! The pen-f looks perfect, but the price is.. meh.

The 16:9 issue? or what's the problem with it?

True, the pen-f looks like a perfect solution, but that price.. How do you find the gx85 evf? and their 5 axis system? anything really bothers you about the usability, as you said you are coming from olympus cameras?

God damn it, I live in a small-ish city.. I need to take a trip to the biggest city around me and put my hands on those cameras.. Probably call the stores before going to make sure they have them on display.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    16:9 EVF just means it's great when shooting 16:9, wasted space on the sides otherwise. It would be better if it were full sized in it's default format and not the other way around. As for the EVF it's self? Others are better / bigger, but I don't see the tearing some do and since I use it less than maybe 30-40% of the time it's fine for me. IBIS? Are you bothered by the E-PL3's lack of any real IBIS? The E-PL7*/E-M10/GX85 or 80 are probably about the same in terms of IBIS. The new 5 axis Olympus bodies are probably still better. But since I have mainly Panasonic lenses the dual IS system makes them about equal.

*I heard that the E-PL7 has only the 3 axis system of the E-M10 mkI and that it has the 5 axis system.

20. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I've had both Olympus and Panasonic and much prefer the Panasonics menu system and controls. That said, I sold my GX7 and got an EM5II for the IBIS and better EVF and have generally been happy with it. In deciding on the EM5II I also looked seriously at the EM10II and found it almost too small. If you think you'd be happy with a PEN F size wise I don't think the EM10II would be an issue. In any case, handling them yourself would be the optimal situation.