1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ugh.. Finally happened. Lost my EP-10

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by abepak, Mar 16, 2013.

1. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    A few days ago, after getting into my car after walking around shooting most of the day, I realized it finally happened. I lost my EP-10 eyecup for my EM-5. I knew it was a matter of time. It popped off a couple of times, but I always managed to find it. I know I could have glued the sucker on, but the thought of applying glue to my camera really didn't appeal to me.

So I went online and promptly ordered one from Adorama, swearing that this time, I was going to put some super glue on it. It arrived today, just in time too. I'm taking pictures of the LA marathon tomorrow and I was hoping that it would get here in time.

When I tore it out of the bag and tried to put it on... I realized something. It didn't want to slip in like my old eyecup did. I put some hard pressure on it and ::pOP:: it went on. It's on very snug now. I don't think I need the glue...

This made me think. I either a) had a defective eyecup, b) had a broken eyecup and did not realize it, or c) Olympus made some changes to the eyecup (possibly due to complaints of people constantly losing one) and didn't tell anyone about it.

Did anyone else have a similar experience putting on a new EP-10?

2. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    My replacement is as loose as the original one :-(

3. misupix

misupix Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    Bavaria
    At first the replacement was a tight fit..........but not long :frown:

I found another way to make it stay :wink:

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I gave up on eye cups... not just this system. Next to lens caps, its the first thing I loose literally within a few weeks. I should just cut to the chase and throw them out.

Why won't manufacturers/designers look to the past for solutions? They used to be attached to the camera rather than just "clipped on". Old Nikons had them screw on... in fact so did all my voigtlander rangefinders.

5. misupix

misupix Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    Bavaria
    BTW:
    I've explained my solution/fix here, might help not loosing another EP-10.

6. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Yeah.. found this out afterwards. It's still tighter than my previous one, but still found it almost half off one time.

Looks good. I have to give this one a go. I was thinking about just super-gluing it the camera, but the tape method seems less extreme (more reversible). Electrical tape leaves residue though... I'll have to try it out with painters tape. Have plenty of those lying around.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Glue is never necessary. I've always used a thin strip of electrical tape inside the track of the E-3's eyecup and it always fit snug and perfect with no permanent fixture. It slides off and can be replaced with other cups or magnified cups (not suggested on the E-3) or whatever else you want to put on it but will never slip off on its own. I would never consider putting superglue on an eyecup, when it's so easy to fix with no mess and no damage.

8. misupix

misupix Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    Bavaria
    The Eyecups of the E-1 to E-5 are designed different. All the things you could do to make them fit won't work on the O-MDs.

That's why I came to this solution.