U.S. Rebate Deal, what to get?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rxstuve, Mar 14, 2012.

1. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    So, Olympus has put together a rebate to allow us to get one of three accessories. I welcome input from you all as I am very new to the Micro 4/3 community and the OMD will be my first real digital camera other than a point and shoot.

Are there that many better lenses available outside the Micro 4/3's offering, that make using adapters that don't allow you to take advantage of features such as AF worth it? I've been under the impression that adapters are not the preferred method if they can be avoided.

I would welcome all your thoughts on what you are getting and why so that I can learn more about this genre of cameras. I was leaning towards getting the flash as i am getting the FL 600 and thought a second flash would come in handy in many scenarios. Then i started to think perhaps I am missing something important and decided to ask first! :)
  2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The flash is probably the most useful accessory. It's small but (relatively) powerful for your on-the-go needs. I already have one and decided to go with another for the rebate lol.

The weather-sealed 43 adapter is nice but really only if you have or are already planning on getting 43 lenses.
  3. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    They all sound pretty lame, I'm going to go for the wimpy flash I guess. Wish they would have done even a partial rebate on the grip instead.
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I've negotiated a trade in equal value of the adaptor towards the grip at my local store, as none of the accessories excite me. The adapters are of no value to me, as I already have a cheap OM that works fine for my needs, and 43 adapter is mostly a joke in my eyes. The 43 adapter, I believe is olympus's attempt at suckering us into buying glass that has limited use on m43, I have to pay for autofocus that barely works, or doesn't work at all essentially. The only 43 lens that seems to be of any value is the 14-54 mkII, and I believe the only reason it's coveted is because there are no other AF options for fast glass. When Olympus decides to step up to the plate and make m43 options, vs us trying to recoup on NOS 43 gear I'll be content. I've shown my support on some of their m43 glass and been very satisfied, but I will not support rehashing old product not truly supported by their current system. Plus 43 glass totally destroys having a small body, I might as well invest in legacy glass that won't depreciate much, and I know going in that it won't have AF. I understand that this adapter will be enjoyed by those who already have 43 glass(Ned), but I can't see the value for those that don't. Last option is the fLash, and I prefer natural light at this time, so again no value to me and my needs. I think this offer is just to appease north americans due to the offer of a free grip in Europe, nice try Olympus, maybe try harder!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm in the same boat, no use for any of it but the American in my blood wants me to get something for free... I guess the flash is most useful??
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    the flash will likely be more useful (and have a better resale value)
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I was going to say get the flash and then sell it here...but then I realized it's not the new FL-600R it's the smaller one! Well, it still can be fired wirelessly and it's pocketable - better than nothing.
  8. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    I'll be completely honest with you, personally, I bought the OM adaptor off ebay for like $25, and I personally bought the actual olympus 4/3>micro4/3 adapter from bestbuy, but now it looks like there's 3rd party ones for around $60. So I'd say the flash is the best deal since the others can be bought for a much more reasonable price, and it's what I'm going to chose as my free accessory...just my 2 cents

just want to add: I the weather proof MMF adapter seems pointless if you're not using weatherproof lenses ontop of it (and I'm not sure how many of Olympus' lenses are actually weatherproof)
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i believe ned(?) said all the HG/SHG lenses are weatherproof
    so its quite a few
  10. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    oh ok, thanks for clearing it up, i missed that. I was just under the impression it wasn't with all the deal they've been making about the kit lens being weather proof
  11. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The flash is the best choice IMO, especially since it's unlikely you'll be getting any classic OM or 4/3rds glass out of the gate. It's not the most powerful flash around, but it does work wirelessly (per the R naming convention), so you could use it as an off camera flash triggered from your E-M5.