1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

TZ100 will not connect to home network

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gbuck, Aug 16, 2016.

1. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Hi, I have just bought myself a TZ100, but cannot get the camera to connect via Wifi to my home network. It does connect to my IPhone using the Panasonic Image app. When I try to connect the camera to my home network it "sees" the network and asks for the password. However, after I have inserted the password the camera displays "connecting", followed, about 30secs later by "searching", then, after about 2 mins, "Select the PC" and manual input. All I am trying to do is transfer files from the camera to my IMac PC via Wifi.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    For the Panasonic technicians I am in the UK.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A few things:
    - I don't know the software end of the Panny, but is it even possible to connect the camera to a home network to transfer files? Check the manual. The WiFi on my Sony A7r is not designed that way, in any event.
    - Is your home WiFi network dual band? I've had a Sony BluRay player refuse to connect to a WiFi net while both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios were on, but connect just fine when one was switched off (I know it makes no sense, but there you have it)
    - Do you live in an area with a lot of other networks / suffer from channel interference (can be an issue)

3. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Hi Mattia, thanks for your reply. Yes, the camera is supposed to be able to connect a home network, or at least the manual says it should! As regards dual band modems I am not sure and wouldn't know how to find out. Any thoughts? Sorry to seem clueless. I do live in a town and so suspect there are many home networks....., but I sat next to my modem in trying to set up the camera and so would have thought that there could not have been any interference sufficient to prevent a connection.

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I believe that the camera acts as a 'host' and connects to the Image App, which is a 'client'. It won't connect to your home network, because it is not a 'client'. Not sure if I'm explaining it well :-(

5. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Hi BigTam. The Image App side of the software does work OK and I can connect to my IPhone and transfer pictures to my phone etc. However, the camera should be able to connect to my home computer via my home home network (according to the manual) and of course the Image App is not available for home computers and so I cant use that method of transfer. It looks like I will just have to use a USB cable for all transfers.

6. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Sorry but this is incorrect, the camera will connect to a home network just fine, and can transfer files.

To the OP, the fact that you are getting "Select the PC" indicates it has connected to the network, however, if it doesn't find a PC the problem is actually on the PC not the camera. I'm a windows user not a mac user, so I don't know how you setup a mac. However, on windows, in file explorer you need to choose/create the folder where you want the images to be stored, and then share it. The fact that your camera isn't finding a PC to connect to tells me there is nothing visible on your network. On my camera at that stage it gives me a list of all the PCs it can see on the network. I then choose the PC I want to connect to and it will ask me for a username and password (which is whatever the username and password you put on the share) and then it should ask which folder you want to use. Following that it then asks for the image/set you want to transfer.

Sorry I can't help with how to do it on a Mac, but hopefully that will point you in the right direction.

7. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    These are the people who should be able to help: Contact us - Panasonic UK & Ireland

You need to be sure that your wifi router has DHCP enabled and at least one address free in the pool. Also, check that your Apple firewall is set up to allow incoming connections, by default, it isn't. [System Preferences|Security & Privacy|Firewall|Firewall Options]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  8. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012

9. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    OK what you say about sharing makes sense. I will try to get the IMac to 'share' and get back to you

10. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Well, sadly, trying to get my IMac to 'share' has defeated me! As I said before I will revert to the trusted (but sometimes inconvenient) USB cable method of transfer. Time is too precious - to waste any more on this would be criminal...

11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I see that you are using an iMac. The Mac PC's are far more difficult to connect to. I recall reading about this about 2-3 years ago. You need to set sharing rights on the folder you are transferring to. There was also something about Mac requiring more than one password. In the Windows world, Panasonic's software, Photo Fun Studio, creates the folder and automatically sets up the sharing rights. Wish I could help you more, but I'm quite certain that this is due to sharing rights to the folder (and PC) being set correctly.

12. Wasabi Bob

Just reached out to a good friend of mine who works for Panasonic here in the US. He promised to send me a link to the info that should get you up and running. Check back here in 24 hours.

13. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks Bob, I am sure you are correct. I spent a lot of time this morning trying to get the IMac to share, but no joy. I then tried to download Photo Fun Studio, but discovered it only runs on Windows PCs. Perhaps the answer is if your PC is Apple think twice about getting Panasonic. Either that or find someone who knows his way around an IMac and can sort it for you!
    Thanks for the response any how.

14. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    OK, just got your second reply. Will do and thanks....

15. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I stand corrected, thank you, Simon. Maybe now I will be able to connect my GX7 to my network!

16. Wasabi Bob

17. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Cheers Bob, I'll give it a go this evening and let you know.

18. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Hi Bob, sorry, but that link will not open. I keep getting the message that the server, "ftp" cannot be found. I have tried using the main part of the url on the Panasonic page, but no joy, just a message to say that info cannot be loaded from their page.
    Any other ways of opening the link?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  19. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    OK, Bob, got the link to work so here goes.

20. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Hi Sejanus, still having problems trying to get the camera to connect to the home network. How do I check my router has DHCP enabled and how do I ensure an address is free in the pool?