Typhoon Yolanda - Haiyan

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by xdayv, Nov 14, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    • Like Like x 18
  2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Glad to see you here again Senior Dave!!!

Glad you guys are okay... you're out of Tacloban now right?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Wow, incredible shots. It must be hard for those people.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    Very touching series.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Yes Sir, Manila. Thanks!

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Good to see you doing well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Thank you for sharing those images.

I see courage in the faces of those depicted in your photos; a will to move on despite the devastation; and an unwavering spirit that bespeaks the power of the unity of a people that has previously endured such strife and hardship and marches on. May your country rise above the ashes and find glory in the knowledge that, despite the loss, there will be better days ahead.

My mother is 1/4 Pilipino. We have sent our assistance through more direct channels. Our thoughts and prayers to the Philippine nation.

• Like Like x 2
  8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Thank you, any assistance in any form or manner will really go a long way. I THANK YOU ALL for in your own special way, in whatever manner, your prayers, worries, sympathies, assistance, efforts and donations mean a lot to the people affected by the typhoon. Godspeed.

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Some things to know based on my personal knowledge and information*:
    (I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information but this is based on what I personally know and from the info gathered inside and connections we have which I am in constant coordination.)

1. Almost all motor-driven mode of transportation were damaged by the flood water including fire trucks. The only viable mode of transportation is by foot and bicycle. However, there are towns who had much lower levels of flood water, their cars and motocycles are running. 2-wheeled transportation is better because it can move easily than the bigger cars.

2. Looting is everywhere, started in major retails stores in downtown and city proper then to the warehouses. The fear now is it now has been migrated to the residential area in the subdivisions and nearby towns.

3. The source of looting is not only from the city itself, but from the nearby towns coming and surging in. Military checkpoints have been enforced the other day, let's hope this contains the influx of looters.

4. Military presence has been augmented in the city. Deployment of military to the residential areas and towns is needed. Various crimes starting to rise including robbery, theft, murder and rape. As of yesterday, 4 batallions have been deployed.

5. Food has reached to barangay levels as of this moment but still scarce.

6. Water supply is very scarce, although there are some broken pipes that have water sources but no guarantee from contamination.

7. Flooded water streets are contaminated with dirt, rust and dead bodies.

8. Dead bloated bodies must be cleaned up, there already started to do so, but it still needs to be augmented.

9. Major road networks have blockage of wreckage and dead bodies that exponentially slows down the flow of traffic especially the influx of relief goods.

10. Major cell cites are operational but with limited coverage.

11. No electric power but there are some major installations like headquarters and city hall that have generator that people can charge their mobile phones.

12. Curfews have been implemented since the other day in order to maintain peace and order.

13. Doctors and rescue volunteers have started to operate, but still lacking. Better than none. Supply of vital medicines are limited.

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Glad to see that you're OK, Dave, and thanks for sharing the images and your thoughts. We heard so many Filipino helpers here in Hong Kong lost their home to Haiyan... We will continue to pray for all the victims of this typhoon...

• Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    This weekend I'll be donating to a NGO ... any recommendations other than the Red Cross?

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  12. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Nice shots...

Although I'd refrain from calling every one of them as 'looters'.

13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Thanks. Of course, not everyone are looters, and in fact, majority of the source of the looting comes from nearby and out of towns. But for the record, the looting is widespread.

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    This is most probably true since majority of the relief efforts are concentrated in Tacloban cause the nearby cities are harder to reach and/or there are no roads... My aunt's town in Sulat didnt have any casualties but relief efforts havent reached them yet.

The bayanihan system is working so far with the place being small and all. Neighbors taking care of neighbors...

And im hoping you guys stay healthy. Im still praying for everybody, Dave.

15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Your observation is correct. Prayers are still needed, and thank you for that.

16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    The Exodus, Aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan - November 11, 2013 1730hrs...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
  18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Just got back from Tacloban the other day...

12/5/13 update:

A lot of things improved since the last time, better overall security, major streets are cleared up from debris, new light posts installed (but no electricity yet), water supply is available but still limited in scope, some stores open for business, some gasoline stations open, availability of fresh fish and meat at the market, etc, etc.

Tacloban is mosquito infested, still have that garbage stink in most places, and still a lot of places needed for cleanup, some dead bodies still not recovered buried deep down in some debris.

A lot of rebuilding been done - rebuilding lives, trying to get back on track.

• Like Like x 1
  19. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Thanks for the update Sir Dave. Good to know that the City is moving forward. It will take time & big work but the city will be better

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  20. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave