Two Years and 1000 Posts Later

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Replytoken, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    It has been almost two years since I purchased my first m4/3rd's camera and for my 1000th post I thought I would reflect back. I purchased a refurbished E-PL2 with two lenses at the time since serious health challenges literally prevented me from carrying my beloved Nikon D300 and lenses, and not being able to photograph seemed like adding insult to injury to the situation. Olympus had a very good price on the body with two kit lenses, and I thought that it would be a good stop gap measure, hoping that I would eventually regain enough health to continue shooting with my Nikon. April is normally a time when my beloved and I head out to the tulip fields where we can enjoy the colors, have some fun celebrating the arrival of spring, and I can spend a bit of time photographing. With the E-PL2 and the two kit lenses in hand, I had just enough strength to visit a few fields in the Skagit Valley north of Seattle, one of the largest tulip growing regions in the country. It was not my best day photographing, but below is an unedited image taken with the 40-150.

Well, one thing led to another, including signing up as a memeber of the forum, and with a bad case of GAS, the funds that I was saving for Nikon's D300 replacement were slowly spent on a variety of new Olympus and Panasonic lenses and bodies. I still have and use my D300 when the occasion is right, but I seem to have firmly planted a foot in the m4/3rd's camp as well. Recently, I was able to take advantage of another Olympus outlet sale, and now have an E-M1 in my possession. And since the tulips were in bloom, my beloved and I set off to the Skagit Valley last week to resume our annual ritual. I brought the E-M1 and the Olympus 60mm since I am still evaluating the body, although my initial impressions lead me to believe that it is a keeper, as it feels a bit like a mini D300. I have not yet imported my recent photos into Lightroom, so I am attaching an extracted jpeg file, also unedited, not so much for any kind of direct comparison, but more as a visual reflection.

While I will most likely be selling the E-PL2 to a friend so her oldest daughter can learn more about photography, I have little to complain about the IQ from its sensor. Sensors have certainly evolved, but under good lighting and shooting conditions, the E-PL2 is not a bad little camera (not to mention the G3 and E-PL5 that also passed through my hands). And while I truly enjoy my small collection of primes, the 12-40 is definitely on my short GAS list when funds become available. And, I could eventually see pairing it with the Panasonic 35-100, for an amazing compact travel kit (possibly with a prime or two if space permitted).

To those of you who have been helpful and supportive these past two years, I want to thank you again. It has been a long journey, and one which unfortunately included serious health challenges again in 2013. But, I am now on the mend and trying to devote more time to shooting, processing, printing and even writing, a habit that I picked up while I was ill, and which, along with my photography, kept me somewhat sane. I am sure that I could have made it through the past two years without my m4/3rd's gear and without the forum, but both made a very rough journey a bit easier. I plan to continue posting and being active in the forum as time permits, as well as put up more images here and on my web site. Many of the images that I have seen posted here continue to inspire me, and I look forward to further refining my photography in the days ahead, albeit with a much lighter load on my shoulder than in (Nikon) days past.

• Like Like x 8