Two-year review: Olympus OM-D E-M1 for adventure photography

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by robthomson, Jan 22, 2016.

1. robthomson

robthomson New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2016
    Hi all, I've written up a long term review of the OM-D E-M1 camera for human powered adventures.

Adventure Photography: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless Camera Long Term Review

Basically, it is near-flawless, with only a few things I would change.

What do others use for adventures where a photographer has to make a fairly tough decision regarding the balance of weight of equipment and image quality?

23902682344_3fa51dc60c_c.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    Enjoyed reading. Excellent photos.

3. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    btw, you should edit the link to your website, it does not load at all. I had to edit the address.

4. robthomson

robthomson New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2016
    Thanks diselgl! It is fixed now :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Nice review, completely agree with you on all points as I'm using my EM1 for hiking and backpacking.
    With previous EM1 body I also had issues with shutter freezing shut in low temps (below +5 C) and I think it's manufacturing defect, so I've exchanged it. None of my other cameras behaved this way nor does the new EM1 body.

6. robthomson

robthomson New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2016
    Very interesting...I've thought about getting the shutter mechanism replaced, so perhaps that's the way forward...

7. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Thanks for the blog.
    Completely agree with all that u have said. I thought I pushed the usability of the camera by carrying it fully exposed to Machu Pichu on a 4 day trek. You have shown me what this beauty is capable of handling!!!! Thanks for that.

Great photos as well.
    Please be careful taking photos riding hands free......

8. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Nice review, and some really great images :2thumbs:

9. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Very nice practical review and beautiful pictures - thx

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Good well rounded review!

Off topic, but any places you recommend going to in hokkaido? It's on a short list of placed, I'd like to next go to for a holiday.

11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Excellent review and images Rob. If Olympus isn't paying you as a brand ambassador, they should be! Your images have great color, composition, and do a great job of capturing the environment in which they were shot in.

Just to play devil's advocate here, but you talk about more dynamic range. That's something that a lot of people on this board as for, along with reduced noise at base ISO, or even a native ISO of 100 instead of 200. If you only take the 7-14 and 12-40 with you, have you looked in to picking up some used Sony A7 gear?

You can get a Sony A7 for about $600 these days if you look around. You can pick up a 16-35 f/4 to replace the 7-14 for about $1000, and a 24-70 f/4 for about $900 to replace the 12-40. The Sony kit is weather sealed, but gets you a 50% bump in resolution, but also better noise and dynamic range performance. The kicker is that gear isn't that much larger or heaver than the m43 kit you're using now. The Sony kit weighs about 250g or 0.5lb more than your m43 gear, but it's really not bad considering the IQ improvement you can get, if you really need it. Here's a comparison of size: Link

It would cost you a bit of money to make the switch, the Sony doesn't have the speed of the Olympus, and it's slightly larger and heavier, but if you're looking for a bump in IQ, this may be the best way without sacrificing a lot on size and weight.

Either way, excellent images and review of the camera. Hopefully you'll stick around and share some more of your images in the future.

12. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

thank you Robert. Very informative.

13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The A7 is not weather sealed, the new mk2 versions are but cannot be had for $600. I also don't think the weather sealing of Sony is in the same league as Olympus.

14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Ah ok, I wasn't aware that the original A7 wasn't weather sealed. I knew the mk. II versions were, and assumed that the mk. I versions were as well.

That's a bummer, because not only is the mk.II heavier, but I also don't like the grip as much as the mk.I. I thought the grip would be much better on the mk.II, but after handling both of them in person, I much preferred the original grip.

15. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I used to use Pentax gear with its weather resistant lens and body until my camera developed some serious issues and I could no longer use it.
    Since it broke, I have been using the Olympus EPL-7 and the OMD-E10 cameras, although they are not weather resistant. I have been studying the market and one of these days will make a decision as to what weather resistant body/lens to get. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the OMD-E-M1...
    GR

16. Diamondback

Diamondback Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    PA, USA
    Mark
    I also had the shutter curtain freeze shut on my EM1 this past December when I was taking photos outside in temps in the low 30s. Can only put this down to a manufacturing defect as the camera is supposedly freeze proof down to much lower temps. Luckily Olympus repaired this under warranty as the camera was only 3 months old.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    awesome post. great photos. you are showcasing what this camera is all about.

18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Nice review. The Olympus cameras are nice, and I am huge fan, but they lag by 3 - 5 years with video.

19. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Tell that to the people shooting professional video with the GH4 and YAGH.

20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GH4 with YAGH is not Olympus...?

• Agree Agree x 2