two weeks in vietnam and a week in cambodia

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Islesfan91, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    have been back for a couple of weeks now and still have a ton of photos to go through but have done some quick edits on about 60 photos now

just wanted to share a few (all photos taken with olympus em1 and 12-40 f2.8 lens)

one of the quieter side streets in Hanoi:

[​IMG]vietnam_-3 by Tom McKee, on Flickr

sunset in halong bay, was curious what the building was but haven't found an answer:

[​IMG]halong bay (1 of 1)-5 by Tom McKee, on Flickr

sunrise in halong bay, so many tourist boats but at the same time it was quiet and peaceful

[​IMG]halong bay (1 of 1)-8 by Tom McKee, on Flickr

early morning halong bay, local fishermen would sell their catch to the tourist boats, the seafood was fresh and so good

[​IMG]halong bay (1 of 1)-6 by Tom McKee, on Flickr

after hanoi and halong bay, we took a flight to hoi an and spent several days there

[​IMG]hoi an (1 of 1) by Tom McKee, on Flickr

not only was there a huge market of seafood and vegetables to walk through, we also saw plenty of people walking through the old town selling as well

[​IMG]hoi an (1 of 1)-3 by Tom McKee, on Flickr

one very small section of the market

[​IMG]the market, Hoi an by Tom McKee, on Flickr

Also took a motorcycle tour in Hoi an, was a blast.
    after hoi an, we flew to saigon/hcmc and took several day tours -

mekong delta tour

[​IMG]mekong day tour-5 by Tom McKee, on Flickr

there's a lot of poverty in these countries and the mekong delta tour showed us a lot of makeshift housing along the river

[​IMG]mekong day tour-4 by Tom McKee, on Flickr

we went out to one of the islands near Can Gio island (monkey island) and while we couldn't go to monkey island due to rival packs of warring monkeys, we were able to see a pack of wild monkeys on the nearby island (can't remember the name)

the pack leader gets the bananas, but the others still savour the peel

[​IMG]banana peel (1 of 1) by Tom McKee, on Flickr

the monkeys are curious, and I was able to get a few shots while they were watching us

[​IMG]shy monkey (1 of 1)-2 by Tom McKee, on Flickr

[​IMG]quiet contemplation (1 of 1) by Tom McKee, on Flickr

flew to phu quoc and spent 3 nights on the beach, plenty of squid fishermen at night and the night would be lit up with green or white lights from the boats trying to draw the squid to the surface (we're told, never done it myself) Most of the time was spent relaxing, but I did snap a few quick photos here and there

[​IMG]phu quoc fishing boats by Tom McKee, on Flickr

I haven't done much with the photos from cambodia yet, but on the second last night we stayed in the mekong bungalows, on the river across from phnom penh and got a front row seat to a storm and some fishermen pulling up their nets in the downpour about 20 feet in front of us

[​IMG]pulling up the net, phnom penh by Tom McKee, on Flickr

[​IMG]fisherman in the rain by Tom McKee, on Flickr

was an amazing trip. Went to the killing fields in phnom penh and that was a rough day, also saw angkor wat and the other temples there, however the typical angkor wat photo wasn't possible as around 500 photographers were standing around the small pool at 5am waiting for the sunrise and there was no way I could get in there and get the shot I wanted.

will remember this trip for a very long time, so much different than anything I've ever seen before. Plenty more photos to go through.
    • Like Like x 23
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    a fantastic set. the monkeys look really human-like
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    thank you! There's some work I'm still going to do on several of these photos but I needed to get some quick edits done to show family and friends, it was an amazing trip.
  4. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    wonderful pics, I've been there 3 times now (family)!