1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Two weeks in Mongolia just hanging out

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just returned from a two week journey to Mongolia. I went there to visit my wife's family, so most my shots reflect more of the day-to-day life I saw as opposed to focusing on serious travel photography. Most the pictures took place in the Mongolian countryside or in the capital city of Ulaanbaatar. I shot everything with the E-M5 II, E-M10 and a various assortment of lenses. Check it out!

Mongolian sunset:
    sunset.jpg

Ulaanbaatar overhead:
    mongolia_overhead_web.jpg

Life in the ger (yurt homes) district:
    image.jpg

Cow crossing:
    image.jpg

Chair kid:
    image.jpg

Smartphone wedding snap:
    image.jpg

Men in conversation:
    image.jpg

Sunny day:
    wedding_day.jpg

Smiling kids:
    kids_web.jpg

My wife and her cousin posing for an impromptu photo shoot:
    image.jpg

My happy daughter:
    image.jpg

Monastery hike:
    view_scape.jpg

Monastery entrance:
    monastery_04.jpg

Monastery interior:
    monastery_05.jpg

Horse time:
    horse_fish.jpg

Mongolian Ovoo:
    KATK4429.jpg

Horse crossing:
    [​IMG]

Some camera p*rn:
    olympus.jpg

My daughter and her cousin at play:
    kids.jpg

Horses at dusk:
    horse_sillouette.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 27
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    A couple more from the city!

Ulaanbaatar condo blocks:
    blocks.jpg

Empty fountain:
    3animals.jpg

Hoop time:
    hoop.jpg

Train tracks through the city:
    KATK4862.jpg
    Soviet era hot water pipes:
    KATK4906.jpg

Stray dog carrying a bag of treats:
    KATK4918.jpg

UB amusement park:
    ferriswheel.jpg

Amusement park show:
    selfie.jpg

Diorama view of the amusement park and city:
    castle.jpg

Another diorama of the playground area:
    mongolian_themepark.jpg

Dinosaur ride:
    dinoride.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 24
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent work!!!!

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I enjoyed these a lot! My wife's little sister spend over a year in Mongolia with her church and she had many great things to say about it, so I've always been a bit drawn to the country.

5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Very nice set! The photos really conveyed the lifestyle in the area you were in.

Also, that diorama really came out well. I had to do a double-take to make sure it was real.

6. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Good photojournalism. Nice colors.

What lens in the third shot and are JPG direct from camera or JPG generated from RAW?

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Ed!

Glad you like them! Mongolia is definitely a very unique place to visit. I advise that you book a private guide or join a tour, as the country can be a bit difficult to navigate without help. :)

Thanks! There is still so much I want to shoot in the country. There's a very strong Instagram movement of young Mongolian IGers posting amazing photos and I was really inspired by what they've been shooting in their homeland.

Thanks! For many of the areas I was shooting, no one knew I was a foreigner. Plus Thanks to my wife and her family, they familiarized me with much of the etiquette and customs, so as long I kept my mouth shut I was able to shoot unabated.

I used the Olympus 75mm 1.8 lens for that shot I believe. In all I brought the Rok 7.5mm FE, Pan 12-32mm, Pan 14mm 2.5, Olympus 17mm 1.8, Olympus 75mm 1.8 and an adapted Voigtlander 40mm f/2 (which actually saw no use). Most everything was shot JPEG and then edited either in VSCO or Photoshop (Early part of my trip I was editing on my iPad and later switched to my MBP). ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  8. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    These are nice. Really great set!

9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    So with all the prior consternation on what gear to bring, were you happy with what you ended up bringing?

10. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Very very nice. Thanks a lot for sharing.

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My trip kit:

- E-M5 II + E-M10
    - Rok 7.5mm FE
    - Pan 12-32mm
    - Oly 17mm 1.8
    - Oly 75mm 1.8
    - CV 40mm f/2 + Nikon/M43 adapter

Surprisingly, I'm glad I brought the Rok 7.5 FE. That lens saw a ton of usage! Unfortunately, I didn't get to do as much street work in the capital city as I hoped, and the 17mm 1.8 saw less usage then I anticipated. The 12-32mm saw quite a bit of use, but more for family snaps where the small size came in handy for casual shooting. The Oly 75mm handled all the telephoto shooting and portraiture work totally negating having to bring my 40mm f/2 which didn't see any use whatsoever. What I did regret not bringing though was a cheap long telephoto. My in-laws brought me to the Hustai National Park which protect the Takhi horses known as the last wild horses on Earth and they were difficult to get with only a 75mm. I also didn't get to do as much long exposure tripod shooting, but that was due more to my hectic schedule with family get-togethers and juggling my two kids!

If I were to do it again though, I'd get rid of the 40-50mm range lens, replace it with a long telephoto and I'm highly considering getting an AF fisheye like the Pan 8mm FE which seems to be selling on the used market cheaper now. I could of also seen myself going with something like the 7-14, 20 & 14-140 trio to keep lens swapping to a minimum. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Thank you for posting these- some wonderful photos! The diorama effect worked really well with the amusement park.

I would really like to travel to Mongolia one day-

13. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Outstanding images! You truly captured the feel of the country. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

14. knikki

knikki Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Up North, UK
    Looks a really interesting place thanks for sharing.

Always remember the Eve Arnold book about the Mongolian nomads out on the plains and it is interesting to see the contrast with the city shots.